Hi UG, I'm making this thread because I need some advice. I know theres a very diverse lot of people on here young and old, funny and insightful so I thought it would be good to make a musing here, as I value all the opinions posted in these threads. plus (sorry if I sound like an asshole) I dont really have any friends in my day to day life.
I'm 21, still living with my parents at the moment (not a bad thing, they're awesome!) and I recently finished a semester at my local community college ( for communication design)? and it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be and to be honest was a bit of a let down. It's been a few months since then and I don't plan on going back for more classes(in an art major), of course I'm very grateful for the opportunity to go to college or even experience it for that matter but I'm really torn between the whole chasing your dreams or finding a career/decent work and being productive dilemma.
I really enjoy art and drawing and the like and It would be a dream of mine to be able to get into that field doing conceptual work/illustration as it's the only thing I know how to do and the only thing i really enjoy doing. I spend hours a day or the majority of my time studying,sketching and drawing, I think of it as putting myself through art school essentially and to be honest feel very confident in devoting myself to the works and going somewhere with it all. But I can't help but feeling somewhat selfish/immature just doing what I love living off a free ride with my parents not really giving much back and putting so much faith into such a dream. I've been thinking about whether I should go back to college and learn a trade like HVAC/refrigeration,electrical, plumbing etc. or not to worry about feeling "unproductive" and keep focused on my studies. I'm pretty much utterly miserable if I'm not really drawing Full time and can't imagine doing anything else to spend my life's time but at the same while I feel like I need to grow up and get over it if i ever really want to "do something with my life".
I've been thinking alot about this recently as I've grown some health problems and medical bills without insurance is really harsh and feel terrible that it's become my parents burden as I can't pay for them myself. I'm sure things aren't as black and white as the options I'm going through in my head so any outside advice would be greatly appreciated! sorry for the unnecessary wall of text, thank you so much for your time : )
Send me off to bed forevermore.
I stopped at "still live with my parents."

Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Last edited by Dwight.Schrute at Mar 25, 2014,
Quote by RatmN'Roses
sorry for the unnecessary wall of text

oh you better be
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
My eyes hurt from that formatting
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I just want you to know that I searched for '?' and only found one, that wasn't a question directed at us.

In other words, I don't know what on earth you want from us, and please format better
You will never make money with art. But, you shouldn't cast your dreams to the side. TS, I say to either finish your degree or go to trade school...whatever you choose, don't let your dreams go. You can always do art on the side.
blah blah blah... didn't read. Basically, listen to your parents and stop being an Artsy Fartsy. They never make money, unless they get lucky or have a lot of connections. Just give up on your dreams and become another suit behined a desk. At least you'll have money.

Just pursure art and music, and whatnot on the side, as a hobby.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

You could always go back to college and major in art. Do what's best for you and your family right now.

And yes, you can make money doing something art-related, despite what the geniuses in the pit tell you.

Keep chasing the dream, bro
ggg1 ggg3

tl;dr

All I got from this is that you like Dairy Queen
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I think if you recognize making a living doing art is really hard and will probably destroy your love for it, but you are genuinely skilled at it (let other people see if you have potential) and knowing all this you still want to go for it, I'd say go for it.

It seems like people who are currently doing things in creative fields were very persistent, kept honing and perfecting their craft as they searched for a job, and had a good smattering of luck. If you're willing to do all those things for just a chance at a career, that's probably a good mindset to go in with.

At the same time, get a job that you can do to support yourself while you pursue a career in art. Being able to become independent might help you stop feeling like a leech while you pursue your career.

I wouldn't rule out finding a more stable career and then continuing to do art as a hobby on the side for the rest of your life.

My 2 cents, I know nothing of pursuing a creative career other than borderline insane persistence being a common factor among those successful in it today.
Last edited by The Spoon at Mar 26, 2014,
Yeah The Spoon nailed it.

Just get a job that will get you by and help pay the bills.
You can always apply for art related jobs while you work. Eventually something will come along.
I was originally a music major but decided to keep it hobby and switched to criminal justice. You should get a degree in something more practical and do your art on the side. Also living at your parents while in college isn't something to ashamed of, my ass is in my parents house right now. I have a part time job and pay for most things myself so I don't feel like a freeloader, so yeah get a part time job.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by RatmN'Roses
Hi UG, I'm making this thread because I need some advice. I know theres a very diverse lot of people on here young and old, funny and insightful so I thought it would be good to make a musing here, as I value all the opinions posted in these threads. plus (sorry if I sound like an asshole) I dont really have any friends in my day to day life.
I'm 21, still living with my parents at the moment (not a bad thing, they're awesome!) and I recently finished a semester at my local community college ( for communication design)? and it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be and to be honest was a bit of a let down. It's been a few months since then and I don't plan on going back for more classes(in an art major), of course I'm very grateful for the opportunity to go to college or even experience it for that matter but I'm really torn between the whole chasing your dreams or finding a career/decent work and being productive dilemma.
I really enjoy art and drawing and the like and It would be a dream of mine to be able to get into that field doing conceptual work/illustration as it's the only thing I know how to do and the only thing i really enjoy doing. I spend hours a day or the majority of my time studying,sketching and drawing, I think of it as putting myself through art school essentially and to be honest feel very confident in devoting myself to the works and going somewhere with it all. But I can't help but feeling somewhat selfish/immature just doing what I love living off a free ride with my parents not really giving much back and putting so much faith into such a dream. I've been thinking about whether I should go back to college and learn a trade like HVAC/refrigeration,electrical, plumbing etc. or not to worry about feeling "unproductive" and keep focused on my studies. I'm pretty much utterly miserable if I'm not really drawing Full time and can't imagine doing anything else to spend my life's time but at the same while I feel like I need to grow up and get over it if i ever really want to "do something with my life".
I've been thinking alot about this recently as I've grown some health problems and medical bills without insurance is really harsh and feel terrible that it's become my parents burden as I can't pay for them myself. I'm sure things aren't as black and white as the options I'm going through in my head so any outside advice would be greatly appreciated! sorry for the unnecessary wall of text, thank you so much for your time : )

Follow your dreams buddy. Don't let anyone here or in your every day life stopped you. James Franco's dad wanted him to be a math major when he was in college, but he decided that he wanted to do acting. His parents thought that he'd never be able to achieve anything with it so they stopped supporting him and kicked him out of the house. He found a job at McDonald's, supported himself, continued following his dreams, and look where that got him. His net worth is over 20 million now.
All I got when I read thread title
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Yes you really sound like an asshole when you tell us you don't have any friends....

People tend to forget that it doesn't have to be a choice. get a solid future for you by doing an education. Get a job, save some money and in the mean time try and chase your dreams, or when you've saved enough, take a sabbatical and chase ur dreams then.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 26, 2014,
Nah, go back to college and do art history. It'd be silly of you to listen to people who tell you that your "hobby" should be "done on the side" or something. Just... get ready to starve for a few years lol.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah, go back to college and do art history. It'd be silly of you to listen to people who tell you that your "hobby" should be "done on the side" or something. Just... get ready to starve for a few years lol.

Yeah. It won't be easy, and there's a good chance that nothing will come of it, but it's worth a shot. You only get one life, might as well try.
1. post some of your work so we can see if you're any good

2. start putting together a portfolio. you want lots of different types of drawings, to show you've got range. landscapes, people, animals, a goddamn fruitbowl, etc. your portfolio is your resume (along with your actual resume)
I want to make music and have medical bills too.

I ignore my medical bills because I have no income, and trying to get anything from me would be like kicking a dead horse.

From what i've observed, a lot of artists can work off commissions from individuals alone.
As I'm apparently the only adult here I'll give you my 2c.

• You got no income
  • You're still living at home
  • You got healthcare problems
  • You want to study art at college...?

You don't need to study art at college to become a successful artist. Go to college, get a degree in whatever will get you a job, work a job, draw on the side. You think great artist and minds through history just did whatever they are now famous for all day? A lot of them worked boring, mindless jobs to get an income. Because you need an income. You can go back to college and study art whenever, right now though I strongly suggest you do something that brings you the dough. Who knows, maybe that's what will bring you inspiration or the new perspectives that will make you historic.

Examples http://mentalfloss.com/article/52293/11-celebrated-artists-who-didnt-quit-their-day-jobs
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Mar 26, 2014,
Awesome! thank you guys so much, it's very refreshing to get advice outside of my own point of view and especially from those older than I am.
Again, thank you guys so much ! Much Love - = )
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
Awesome! thank you guys so much, it's very refreshing to get advice outside of my own point of view and especially from those older than I am.
Again, thank you guys so much ! Much Love - = )

I hope my post wasn't too discouraging. If you're passionate about it I suggest you draw like hell, but also consider a job that bring the money.

Henri Rousseau, one of my favourite painters, retired to paint full-time at age 49 after working many kinds of jobs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Rousseau
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████