Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I need to write a paper for my Interpersonal Communications about slang terms used among a social community. For my social community I was going to pick musicians.
Some slang terms that I currently have are "break up", "muddy", "sloppy", and "clean" (in terms of playing). What are some other common slang terms used by musicians (I'm blanking out at the moment)? Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Mar 25, 2014,
reverb-fag
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Fog Machine player

#Brokencyde
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
pups = pickups for guitars.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
dank

I never knew a bong was a musical instrument.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Djent or djenty? As in that "that tone is djenty"

P'ups? That's more an abbreviation but hey.

I guess "shred" is too as it means someone playing lead guitar quickly.

"Squeelies" too for the harmonics whether it be natural with a tremolo or pinched harmonics.

Also "whammy bar" isn't a correct term, it's actually called a tremolo.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Killin'.
Monster.
Animal.

All interchangeable, means really ****ing good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I dunno if this is a real thing but my friend's dad says a drummer is "in the pocket" to mean that he is keeping perfect rhythm/tempo. We all started saying it too. I'm assuming that this might have been a saying back in the day? Do any of you ever say this? Ever heard it?
Listen. I'm sorry.
there's a ton of jazz slang...hip, shed, blow, cat, axe, lick, changes, there's so much more...

"I heard that cat blowing over some hip changes on his axe the other day when I was shedding."
Quote by vilk
I dunno if this is a real thing but my friend's dad says a drummer is "in the pocket" to mean that he is keeping perfect rhythm/tempo. We all started saying it too. I'm assuming that this might have been a saying back in the day? Do any of you ever say this? Ever heard it?

Yes I have heard of this term before. Thank you everyone for the suggestions I appreciate it.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Mar 26, 2014,
Fear, jealousy, and insecurity.

As in, 'That guy has chops (and is way better than me)! I'd better practice...'
Quote by captainsnazz
wobs

Yeah But Thats A Term Used By Electronic Artists And They're Not Actually Musicians Because They Dont Play Instruments
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
A tease is when, in the structure of the song, you play a reduced version of a section that comes later on in the song. Like if you were to play an intro, verse, then the first half of the chorus or something, then another verse, bridge, and then the full chorus. Just off the top of my head.

Also, there's a lot of lingo regarding drum beats, though all I can think of is metal-related. Instead of explaining, I'd suggest just youtubing them. Try skank beats, blastbeats, and grinds.

Good luck.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by ProgFripp74
P'ups? That's more an abbreviation but hey.

I hate this one. I do not have a tiny dog on my guitar
Brutal
shred
pups
heavy
mean
gutteral
blast
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Mar 26, 2014,
Chops, djent, swag, yolo
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
d-beat
chug
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Mar 26, 2014,
bottom end, crunch, mean, growl, juicy, fat, warm. I guess this is all tone-slang though.
skins, kicker.
in the pocket

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
pocket. groove. chops. play the head. blow the changes (take a solo over the chord changes). from the top. swing. funky. twangy. meedley weedely.
and if it goes beyond slang, if you can include jargon, then oh god you could talk all day about it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
That guitarist was mad plink-plonk strappado-arming up and beyond the axe teeth like a pulsing mosquito tumor. I mean the sound just flew straight orange.
Quote by vilk

This and "groove" are good rhythm terms.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Masquirina
That guitarist was mad plink-plonk strappado-arming up and beyond the axe teeth like a pulsing mosquito tumor. I mean the sound just flew straight orange.

Lick - A serious of notes/hopefully a melody played by an instrument in the lead section during a solo

Riff - A serious of notes played multiple times during a song or piece of music in the rhythm section; A motif.
Page 1 of 2