...And our singer is going crazy. So basically, this band was created in october for a small show in May where we would play like 3 or 4 songs. The problem is, we had three band practices and they were all before December and we couldn't rehearse since December because of schedule conflicts. And during these 3 rehearsals, our bassist and our drummer were learning 2 of the songs on the spot at the rehearsals.

The only band practice we can have before the show is April 7th. And there is no way it will work, because the bassist and the drummer don't learn their shit. That leaves us with me, the lead guitarist, my friend, the rhythm guitarist who is just as good as me, and the singer who is... mediocre at best, who know the songs. Seeing as it is going nowhere and after talking to my friend to see if he could get away with being the only guitarist (which he can, we are playing songs from bands with one guitarist), I decided to quit because I have two other musical projects going on: my real band recording an album and replacing a guitarist for the summer because he has other personal shit going on. And those two projects asks for me to practice 11 songs perfectly to take as less time as possible in the studio and to learn about 25 songs which we will rehearse in about a month, so it takes a lot of my time, and I go to college so there is that too.

When I told the band I decided to quit not for personal reasons but merely because I can't keep up (with a band that will do sweet FA, though I didn't say that part), everyone was cool with it and understood that I have some more important stuff to deal with. But the signer... My god... He started insulting me, saying that I am a coward, an egoist (and he said that after saying that I ruined his fun, a good chance for him to play on stage and most importantly HIS band...) and weak. The thing is, appart from school, he doesn't have any other project. And I have a few, including the two bands mentioned earlier. My question is, is he right about me being a coward and all, or is he overreacting?

TL;DR: I am in a bad band, I have more important stuff to deal that tikes a lot of time to deal with, so I quit. Everyone is cool with it, but the signer is treating my like shit for doing so. Who is right: me or him?

Be honest, if I'm being the jerk in the story please tell me...
Ayy there
Nah, hes the jerk. You're clearly busy with more dedicated bands, and just can't deal with that bullshit. Plus the singer sounds like a jerk after that outburst so why bother being in a band with him.
Frankly you sound full of of crap.

You formed a band 8 months ahead of schedule for a 4 song gig... rehursed only 3 times in 3 konths... yet cant find 30 mins in the nedt 5 months to have a rehearsal or 2?

Nice try troll
Quote by metalhead983877
My question is, is he right about me being a coward and all, or is he overreacting?

Everyone is cool with it, but the signer is treating my like shit for doing so. Who is right: me or him?

Be honest, if I'm being the jerk in the story please tell me...

Dude......you already know the answer to this. You're just seeking support from us and to tell you "He's the asshole. You're right"

Come on, man. You're better than that.
Quote by Smigzy
Frankly you sound full of of crap.

You formed a band 8 months ahead of schedule for a 4 song gig... rehursed only 3 times in 3 konths... yet cant find 30 mins in the nedt 5 months to have a rehearsal or 2?

Nice try troll

I actually didn't know it was for a 4 song gig, the singer who actually contacted us only told us yesterday that it was for a one-off thing. Also, the schedule conflict thing is because we are all at college and for some reason have litteraly class-free time in common. Except for after 6 PM, but we work to pay our tuition fees, as well as the weekends.

Quote by bdof
Dude......you already know the answer to this. You're just seeking support from us and to tell you "He's the asshole. You're right"

Come on, man. You're better than that.

But the thing is, in his rambling, he made a point that I keep questioning myself about: he said that it was egoist of me. I mean, I did quit because they are mediocre, except for the other guitarist, and to get more free time for school and my other projects.
Ayy there
I think something is being omitted from your details, but I'll comment more generally.

If I was in a band that had only learnt two songs in 6 months, and only had 2 or 3 practices, I wouldn't even assume that there was a band at all. It's ok to quit in this circumstance, because it's basically nothing anyway.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think something is being omitted from your details, but I'll comment more generally.

If I was in a band that had only learnt two songs in 6 months, and only had 2 or 3 practices, I wouldn't even assume that there was a band at all. It's ok to quit in this circumstance, because it's basically nothing anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's what all of us assumed, except the singer apparently. He sent us a message on Facebook like 2 days ago to ask for when we could jam, and then the crapitty-storm started.
Ayy there
It would probably help if you were honest enough to tell them the real reason you are quitting. That was cowardly. I'd also suspect that that is just a symptom of worse communication problems, which lie behind why this band can't get its thumb out of its ass to learn a few songs.
^^^ That's true too. Check this timeline of band practices out.

Quote by metalhead983877
we had three band practices and they were all before December

we couldn't rehearse since December because of schedule conflicts.

The only band practice we can have before the show is April 7th.

For small show in May

3 practices in 5 months.

It's possibly the worst organised band in history. But probably the laziest too.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ That's true too. Check this timeline of band practices out.

3 practices in 5 months.

It's possibly the worst organised band in history. But probably the laziest too.

We actually tried to schedule some rehearsals, but since our schedules are way too different it just never worked out. But I agree there was a lack of organisation
Ayy there
^^^ Nobodies schedules are that different/full. You guys just needed 2 hours a week. If you guys actually wanted to practice, you would have found the time..

No worries, its over now.
Soundcloud
Making friends is what you do on your spare time.....as a musician its really nice to play with friends but not necessary ...so don't bother what some may think when you have too make professional decisions.. If this project is in anyway detrimental to you or going to make you look bad than screw the status quo and burn bridges....

And just a guess but your the only guy making them sound half decent?
.. That would explain the premadonna-leadsinger hissyfit.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Blackst4r
Making friends is what you do on your spare time.....as a musician its really nice to play with friends but not necessary ...so don't bother what some may think when you have too make professional decisions.. If this project is in anyway detrimental to you or going to make you look bad than screw the status quo and burn bridges....

And just a guess but your the only guy making them sound half decent?
.. That would explain the premadonna-leadsinger hissyfit.

I wouldn't say I'm the only one making my now former band decent, I would say me and the other guitarist made the band sound good. And actually, he was the only guy I knew when we started the band. I got to make two more friends out of this band, even though they are not that good musicians, hanging out with them after rehearsals was really fun. Anyway, it's all over, and for the best.
Ayy there
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Nobodies schedules are that different/full. You guys just needed 2 hours a week. If you guys actually wanted to practice, you would have found the time..

No worries, its over now.

We had like, one night on all the week that we "all could" rehearse together, but we either were overloaded with homeworks or with our job so at most, we would have had 3/5 of the band together at most. Which is pretty... Bad. Rehearsing without the drummer is almost impossible (though we didn't try that).
Ayy there
to be fair, what you have described is not what I would have called a band. A band is a group of people getting along together (generally), and putting the time in to play music. What you described sounds more like, people who like the idea of being in a band, but dont really know what that means, nor have the time to comit to it. In any case, no matter how it turned out, your better of it of that one.
One thing though. It also sounds like you are busy too. In that case, figure out how much time you actually have available before committing to a band/project. If you have the time available, then great, if not, then you are also wasting other peoples time. I'd say committing to a band takes around 4-5 hours min a week (this is absolute min to learn songs and then have a practice each week).
I've been in bands where other people 'were too busy'. I dont waste my time with those type of bands any more.
Hoos