I have owned a vox modeling amp for almost 2 years. I played the shit out of all models.. tweaked them all. But always came back to the ac30 model. I'm ready to upgrade to a real all tube amp.

How close are the models really to the real thing?

I have 3 models in mind. The vox ac15 (cause its smaller for home uSE). Vox ac30 cause that's the model I'm used to using... or the fender hot rod iii (because that is the main amp my pathetic local shope has)

Do the molders really sound like the real thing... or should I drive an hour and a half out of my home own to test amps before making an online purchase????
The AC30 model is fairly close apart from the dynamics. The others, not so much.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by Smigzy
I have owned a vox modeling amp for almost 2 years. I played the shit out of all models.. tweaked them all. But always came back to the ac30 model. I'm ready to upgrade to a real all tube amp.

How close are the models really to the real thing?

I have 3 models in mind. The vox ac15 (cause its smaller for home uSE). Vox ac30 cause that's the model I'm used to using... or the fender hot rod iii (because that is the main amp my pathetic local shope has)

Do the molders really sound like the real thing... or should I drive an hour and a half out of my home own to test amps before making an online purchase????

The AC amps are fantastic and probably better sounding than the modeler. It's been a while since I heard one of the valvetronix or whatever they are called. Dynamics would be much better in person.

If you like the model I'd get it over the fender, they are different styles of clean tones.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'd say that if you like the AC30 model on the VT then a real AC30 (ie not the AC30VR) would blow you away. It's a pretty safe bet that you'd love it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^+1
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
You should also make sure you the sound on your modelling amp is one you can realistically get in real life. If your amp is doing the AC-30 with everything on 10, you'll be disappointed with the real one when you find out that you can't do that in real world situations. Also keep in mind that the AC-30 is just the amp that sounds the best on the amp, it doesn't mean that's the amp for you. Modelling amps want you to upgrade to something in that they make. That's why Peavey Vypyrs have so many Peavey amps. It's no surprise that Vox amps sound better on a Vox modelling amp. So yes, you should try out amps in person.
if you like the ac30 setting on your modeller, im postive youll love a real one. however......

this is just personal experience. but i have always had trouble getting the tones i want from vox amps. its probably because i generally only play through fenders, but it has always taken me forever to dial in a vox. wants i find the sound i like, its great. but just a little info, take it wish as much salt as needed haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I don't know which Valvetronix you have (I have the VT20+), but bear in mind that the AC30 is not only the best amp ever made, ever, but is also very, very loud!

You don't say whether you will be gigging it but for home use they need careful controlling. To get the best tone you need to get the volume up and that means stages, and big ones at that.

The valvetronix AC30 is very good at low, home practice volumes, but is DESIGNED to be very good at low, home practice volumes.

A real AC30 is designed to be very, very good but at stage volumes.

My old non-master volume AC30 could compete, and compete well, with 100W Superlead Marshall's back in the day.

So be careful. I'm not going to tell you they are too loud because (a) you haven't told us the circumstances in which you will be using the amp and (b) only you can decide what "too loud" means.
Last edited by deano_l at Mar 26, 2014,