Allow me to explain...

When I am practicing something on guitar, I find it more fun to play actual songs rather than just run through scales and exercises. You get to better yourself as a guitarist while staying motivated and building your repertoire.

The problem is, like many others, I teach myself guitar and one of the cons of doing so is I don't have someone suggesting what I should work on or play next. After a google search, I'm amazed that it doesn't help you much in this area for anyone out of the very beginning stages of guitar, so I thought it might be a good idea for everyone to pitch suggestions on what songs would be good to learn as guitar players progress.

For instance, if someone wants to learn to play and sing at the same time we could suggest Knockin on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan as a good starting point, but the helpful part would be suggestions that slowly increase in difficulty as well as obscurity, that way we can expand our horizons as well as improve. If you want to work on tapping, play some Randy Rhodes. Want a difficult guitar instrumental? Try this. So on and so forth.

Any comments or substance would be appreciated. Perhaps this is a horrible idea tried before or a successful idea that I failed to find elsewhere. Let me know. Thanks.
Through Fire an Flames
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by Mac Sabbath
Allow me to explain...

When I am practicing something on guitar, I find it more fun to play actual songs rather than just run through scales and exercises. You get to better yourself as a guitarist while staying motivated and building your repertoire.

The problem is, like many others, I teach myself guitar and one of the cons of doing so is I don't have someone suggesting what I should work on or play next. After a google search, I'm amazed that it doesn't help you much in this area for anyone out of the very beginning stages of guitar, so I thought it might be a good idea for everyone to pitch suggestions on what songs would be good to learn as guitar players progress.

For instance, if someone wants to learn to play and sing at the same time we could suggest Knockin on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan as a good starting point, but the helpful part would be suggestions that slowly increase in difficulty as well as obscurity, that way we can expand our horizons as well as improve. If you want to work on tapping, play some Randy Rhodes. Want a difficult guitar instrumental? Try this. So on and so forth.

Any comments or substance would be appreciated. Perhaps this is a horrible idea tried before or a successful idea that I failed to find elsewhere. Let me know. Thanks.

I would recommend that you make a list of songs that you admire and want to learn, rather than seek out a generic "universal" guitar songs list. That way you'll be focusing on songs that motivate you and that are really fun for you to play. Most pop/rock material is accessible after a year of playing.