rock is not dead... just in hibernation,
Give it a Year or Two and it will be back better than ever before,
You Can't Kill Rock and Roll!
If we are talking about Rock, it's dead. I mean, we should exhume the corpse for DNA and prove to future generations that it even existed.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Quote by Killsocket
If we are talking about Rock, it's dead. I mean, we should exhume the corpse for DNA and prove to future generations that it even existed.

Mate, its not dead and it never was.... its on a uprising and will be back for good
Quote by reece1121
Mate, its not dead and it never was.... its on a uprising and will be back for good

I certainly hope so. I am not a big metal guy or any of the subgenres associated with it. Freaking country music is more Rock than Rock now-a-days.

Just what bands are considered Rock anymore?
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
Quote by Killsocket
I certainly hope so. I am not a big metal guy or any of the subgenres associated with it. Freaking country music is more Rock than Rock now-a-days.

Where I am people call: nickel back, foo fighters and kings of leon O_O its quite horrible.... but need not fear the real rock will be back just needs some time
People have been saying this for years. It won't be back because it's not 'dead'. It's just like and other genre, demographics change and tastes come and go. And guess what, when it's popular again, there will be people moaning that "dance is dead!" or "rap is dead!".

Then the cycle will repeat.
Quote by Telecaster7
People have been saying this for years. It won't be back because it's not 'dead'. It's just like and other genre, demographics change and tastes come and go. And guess what, when it's popular again, there will be people moaning that "dance is dead!" or "rap is dead!".

This
Quote by Telecaster7

Why does this remind me of Mass Effect?
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
"Classical Music will never die." - Beethoven

"Classical Music is dead." - Mozart
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
It is dead... for now, which I honestly don't mind. It was king for a long time. Power chords make me fall asleep nowadays, unless they're used to provide distortion for some really aggressive music. That's where they work imo.

I hope disco and funk make a real comeback.
Not dead, you are just too closed minded to find or appreciate the true good rock music that's out there. Thanks to the internet/streaming we have a ability to be exposed to bands all over the world who would never get exposure in the typical record label cycle. Sure none of it's on the radio but good rock has never really been on the radio (at least until years later).
Quote by derkym
Not dead, you are just too closed minded to find or appreciate the true good rock music that's out there. Thanks to the internet/streaming we have a ability to be exposed to bands all over the world who would never get exposure in the typical record label cycle. Sure none of it's on the radio but good rock has never really been on the radio (at least until years later).

Exactly. Don't just listen to the radio. Right now we have the best rock music ever been written and produced. Better than Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath. It's just totally underground and the critics hate it, just like those bands were when they first came out. Do some damn work and find it like fans did back then. Go to local shows, and buy the stuff those bands are selling. Good music has never been played on the radio
Israel is a terrorist state.
I agree. "Mainstream" Rock on "Rock Radio" is deader than hell.

I prefer the bluesier/garage rock styles of acts like Gary Clark Jr, The Graveltones, Rival Sons, Black Rebel Motocycle Club and stuff like that. It's not for everyone, but for every genre, stuff you actually do like is out there. BUY their stuff. Support those acts, so they don't go away.
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
Just curious if you could give an example of an underground band "Better than Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath"? Rock isn't dead at all and neither is Heavy Metal. Dance Pop however, I believe should die (seriously Lady Gaga is the only one I can tolerate since MJ died).
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
No music genre will die, the population size is sufficient to allow to sustain unpopular music within the cultural narrative. As for a genre returning to popularity- wishful thinking on your part, there is no evidence I am aware of that this will take place.
Quote by RonaldPoe
Just curious if you could give an example of an underground band "Better than Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Black Sabbath"? Rock isn't dead at all and neither is Heavy Metal. Dance Pop however, I believe should die (seriously Lady Gaga is the only one I can tolerate since MJ died).

To be honest, I don't need to even go into the underground to find those types of bands. Graveyard, Rival Sons, The Sword, QOTSA come to mind. They're all putting out stellar music. Besides, most of the reasons we like those classic bands (myself included) is because of the nostalgia and familiarity of their music
Quote by reece1121
Where I am people call: nickel back, foo fighters and kings of leon O_O its quite horrible.... but need not fear the real rock will be back just needs some time

What?

Foo Fighters is one of the greatest rock bands nowadays, along with Dinosaur Jr. and Pearl Jam.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Killsocket

I took a bullshit music appreciation course on rock music once, and the entire course they kept asking, "What is rock?" In the end, the basic answer was, "If it uses (at minimum) drums, guitar, and bass, it could be rock". It was the most unsatisfying answer ever.
But really, that kind of how this works. With increasingly greater access to music (especially as the internet becomes a HUGE medium for acquisition of music), music changes and morphs faster than before. Rock is largely a folk movement, in the sense that it's driven by common people -- not a selection of composers or such, like many many "classical" music movements. So, what is and isn't "rock" is not an easy question to answer. In the end, if it looks like rock and smells like rock, it's probably rock.

Side-note: I also took a Jazz appreciation course that asked "What is Jazz?", and we had the same unsatisfying discussion during the length of that class too. lol
It's not dead. It's being played and it's being listened to. Maybe it isn't as popular, but that doesn't mean it's dead.

Jazz, rock, metal, hip hop, latin, funk, soul, blues, pop, gospel, folk and classical (and many more) are all alive and kicking. Sure, we have lost many great names in all styles of music, but that's how music styles develop, you replace the old with the new. For jazz for example we had swing, went into bebop, went into hard bop, went into latin jazz, went into jazz fusion etc. Just because music evolves and the people that made it big died doesn't mean the old style or the old artists lose popularity, and it doesn't hinder the new generation of great musicians from rising up either.

Look at it from the perspective of classical music. It's been around for a loooong time, it's gone through different eras though, were some things were more popular than others. The genres we listen to today is still very young compared to classical music, and they will go up and down in popularity and they will change aswell. That's just the natural order of things.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
People are not as devoted to music as it used to be, it doesn't mean rock is dead. Its just the majority of the population don't give a shit about anything these days. Used to be, if you had a hobby, listened to music etc... It became a common conversation starter with generally anyone, now its just a select niche. There's tons of rock still out there being made today, it just became underground and seem under appreciated.

I'd like to blame youth these days for that reason, their mentality is very transitory. It seems to be more prevalent in this generation, where people do one ****ing thing and when the trend shifts everyone moves to band wagon. Then they complain why there is no good music, well they aren't looking hard enough. There's really no goddamn patience, devotion, effort and loyalty these days, they want everything fed to them in a silver spoon in the snap of their fingers.

/old fart ranting
Rock sucks I don't understand why people love it and want it to make a "comeback" The electronic music that exists now is so much better
Quote by macashmack
Rock sucks I don't understand why people love it and want it to make a "comeback" The electronic music that exists now is so much better

Quote by derkym

I'm not trolling, rock music in the style of the 60's-90's is trash and always was trash. With computers nowadays we have access to and can create an unlimited amount of new timbre's and sounds, and todays music makes use of those new sounds. A guitar playing a single (sometimes a few) motif for 4-5 minutes is really bad compared to the sounds, textures and timbres that we can make with modern day technology, and the music of our generation reflects that.

I feel like a lot of the hate about rock being dead is from guitarists who feel like they can no longer be super rockstars playing a solo for 50,000 people in a stadium. Well, truth is, you can't. That sound dominated the scene for near 40 years and it's gone now, replaced with breakdowns and flowing harmonies and atmospheric noises. The guitar is still popular in music nowadays, it's just taken place in the rhythm section (which is great; lead guitar is cheesy and the guitar functions way better as a rhythm instrument).

Take a listen to some of the samples off this album below; If you really think that classic rock music can compare to it then I'm sorry about your shit taste in music:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/awake/id793473145

As you can hear, there is a guitar in the pieces, but it's actually working WITH the rest of the instruments and synths, not just playing on TOP of them, with is basically 95% of the rock music that has been named in this thread.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
The generations that grew up on 60s-80s rock are the whiniest people in music I've ever seen.

Not true, the people who have genre battles over metal bands are the whiniest.
At least people who like that era of rock music just call it rock music.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by macashmack
I'm not trolling, rock music in the style of the 60's-90's is trash and always was trash. With computers nowadays we have access to and can create an unlimited amount of new timbre's and sounds, and todays music makes use of those new sounds. A guitar playing a single (sometimes a few) motif for 4-5 minutes is really bad compared to the sounds, textures and timbres that we can make with modern day technology, and the music of our generation reflects that.

As opposed to pop songs or electronic songs that do the same thing?

Seriously, most music that's popular today (or was popular at some point between 1950 to 2010) is based off of a few motifs. Don't act like it's just rock that does this.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
As opposed to pop songs or electronic songs that do the same thing?

Seriously, most music that's popular today (or was popular at some point between 1950 to 2010) is based off of a few motifs. Don't act like it's just rock that does this.

You're right. I guess I just like the new timbres more than an electric guitar for the most part
Quote by macashmack

I feel like a lot of the hate about rock being dead is from guitarists who feel like they can no longer be super rockstars playing a solo for 50,000 people in a stadium. Well, truth is, you can't. That sound dominated the scene for near 40 years and it's gone now, replaced with breakdowns and flowing harmonies and atmospheric noises. The guitar is still popular in music nowadays, it's just taken place in the rhythm section (which is great; lead guitar is cheesy and the guitar functions way better as a rhythm instrument).

Take a listen to some of the samples off this album below; If you really think that classic rock music can compare to it then I'm sorry about your shit taste in music:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/awake/id793473145

As you can hear, there is a guitar in the pieces, but it's actually working WITH the rest of the instruments and synths, not just playing on TOP of them, with is basically 95% of the rock music that has been named in this thread.

Ok, I understand where you're coming from and you have your opinion, I can understand some of what you're saying but you are quite misguided in what you're saying. You clearly haven't listened to enough music to make all these sweeping generalizations about rock music and especially lead guitar.

A lot of the progressive rock bands of the 70's didn't just play repetitive riff after repetitive riff with a solo shoehorned is as you so claim every rock band of that era and beyond does. They play leads to compliment the all the other elements of music and that includes the vocals and they create layered, atmospheric music as well as a more straight forward simplistic style.

I like electronic music, a lot of it in fact, but guitar will always have an important place in music whether it be rhythm or lead.
The fact is electronic music is just a laptop and people programming sounds, some instruments are played and recorded but not always, and playing electronic music live takes virtually no skill, you could just let the track plays on your laptop and watch the show yourself from the crowd.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
You're right. I guess I just like the new timbres more than an electric guitar for the most part

Well, cool. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote by ProgFripp74
The fact is electronic music is just a laptop and people programming sounds, some instruments are played and recorded but not always, and playing electronic music live takes virtually no skill, you could just let the track plays on your laptop and watch the show yourself from the crowd.

What's wrong with that? Music is music.
Quote by macashmack
With computers nowadays we have access to and can create an unlimited amount of new timbre's and sounds, and todays music makes use of those new sounds. A guitar playing a single (sometimes a few) motif for 4-5 minutes is really bad compared to the sounds, textures and timbres that we can make with modern day technology, and the music of our generation reflects that.

If you ask me, no synth can compete with the sound of a real orchestra (or sometimes even samples) for example. Yeah, it's nice to have synths, but real instruments win most of the time in my opinion. I think guitar is kind of a boring instrument, though. I much prefer the sound of piano, strings and woodwinds. Especially oboe.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
What's wrong with that? Music is music.

It takes away the point of going to see something live, you might as well just listen to it on headphones.
The enjoyment of going to see someone live is how they interact with the crowd and how well they play their music, they can change anything on the spot, do covers, sing a longs with the crowd and so on, I like seeing electronic music at festivals because that's a fun environment with friends, booze and lots of music but I wouldn't pay £30 to go to a small venue to listen to a louder version of music I can listen to for free with my friends.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

Quote by ProgFripp74
It takes away the point of going to see something live, you might as well just listen to it on headphones.
The enjoyment of going to see someone live is how they interact with the crowd and how well they play their music, they can change anything on the spot, do covers, sing a longs with the crowd and so on, I like seeing electronic music at festivals because that's a fun environment with friends, booze and lots of music but I wouldn't pay £30 to go to a small venue to listen to a louder version of music I can listen to for free with my friends.

You should go to an electronic music concert, you'd be pleasantly surprised. Not a huge fan of the music, even though I create my own occasionally, but you can not die the energy it has, especially in a live environment especially if you're on E, I hear
Quote by JD Close
You should go to an electronic music concert, you'd be pleasantly surprised. Not a huge fan of the music, even though I create my own occasionally, but you can not die the energy it has, especially in a live environment especially if you're on E, I hear

Unless the electronic musician is composing on the spot at the concert (which some of them do, actually)...then there's not a ton of difference. Yes, drugs and atmosphere can make it seem like more. But you can hear the same song -- without drugs or concert atmosphere -- at home on your computer...for free.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Unless the electronic musician is composing on the spot at the concert (which some of them do, actually)...then there's not a ton of difference. Yes, drugs and atmosphere can make it seem like more. But you can hear the same song -- without drugs or concert atmosphere -- at home on your computer...for free.

not that I would ever pay to go see one, or listen to the music on my own in any facet, but if I'm at a festival and there's an electronic stage, I make a point to check it out, just to see what's up. What's the point in going to see any musician in concert? Most bands play their songs exactly as they are on the record, the only difference is they are less perfect and you can see them. With electronic, you still get to see the idiot jumping around in front of you, and with less chance of a missed note or gear malfunction.

I don't really like electronic music all that much, but I don't understand the lack of respect that it gets most of the time.
Quote by Elintasokas
If you ask me, no synth can compete with the sound of a real orchestra (or sometimes even samples) for example. Yeah, it's nice to have synths, but real instruments win most of the time in my opinion. I think guitar is kind of a boring instrument, though. I much prefer the sound of piano, strings and woodwinds. Especially oboe.

I like them both equally, but there are some things that can only sound good played in an orchestra and some things that only sound good played with synths imo.

Quote by ProgFripp74

The people who go to the shows would though. The music is (for the most part) created for large groups of people to dance to. The artists who create it create it with that purpose in mind, and it fulfills that purpose. There is no strict, ultimate purpose of music that needs to be applied when creating it. There is no point to take away.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 26, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I took a bullshit music appreciation course on rock music once

why would you want to appreciate bullshit music?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
why would you want to appreciate bullshit music?

Because the sound of a bull defecating is truly underappreciated, duh!