We play metal, and our drummer is ultra metallica fan, and likes simple thrash riffs with a lot of gallops and downpicking and couple power chords in between. Other guitarist and me, on the other hand, we like more colorluff riffing, kinda like Blotted science and Necrophagist type of things. So we want to incorporate more melody into riffing, kinda like "lead riffing" with throwing in some legato, or arpeggio runs. But the problem is that drummer doesn't like thing like that so much. I really like thrash, and also progressive stuff, and I'm ok with both, I am for combining things, but the other guitarist kinda hate thrash, and drummer kinda hate progressive style of playintg. I'm caught in between, because we believe that straight forward thrash doesn't cut it in the manner of new band (old thrash band that allready have fan base are different story), and we believe that we won't get noticed with thrash (guitarist and me). But drummer points at thrash. How can I make everyone satisfied with what we play?
Bassist is the only one that doesn't give a shit what we all play.
Find a new drummer. Sorted.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Do you actually write stuff and play what you compose, or just cover other bands? You could compose some songs which are thrash and some which are progressive. This way you can see which type of writing is stronger for the band and make decisions from there about what music you want to/should do.
It's not the easiest way (easiest way being firing one of them and getting someone else who either likes thrash or prog - depending on who you fire - or get someone who doesn't care what they play), but it's a way. You could combine the two and do some experimental stuff, make your band unique in that way. Only suggesting stuff
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Shakespeare - Macbeth
Stop worrying about labels and try to create music that excites all of you.

If you can't do that, you have the wrong bandmates.
Quote by HotspurJr
Stop worrying about labels and try to create music that excites all of you.

If you can't do that, you have the wrong bandmates.

that's exactly what I've been thinking. I hate subgenres labels. When I write a riff, I don't look at it as it is prog. or thrash or death or whatever, as long as it sounds good to me. But man, they are thought to argue with. But they are both good persons though.
Did you ever think that maybe he only wants to play Lars Ulrich beats because he's not a good enough drummer to play big kid music?
Israel is a terrorist state.
TS is your issue that you can't agree on which band to copy?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
TS is your issue that you can't agree on which band to copy?

I don't want to copy anything, just to write everything that sounds good, without putting it in any category. It's stupid to categorize music and to think in terms of any subgender. And the drummer is doing exactly that, categorizing. I hate boundaries, it kills creativity. But changing drummer is not an option because he is realy good guy, he became our friend, and he is a creator of a band. If I wanted to change drummer I wouldn't write this thread. Think about it.
Quote by kimi_page
that's exactly what I've been thinking. I hate subgenres labels. When I write a riff, I don't look at it as it is prog. or thrash or death or whatever, as long as it sounds good to me. But man, they are thought to argue with. But they are both good persons though.
did you watch the video I posted of what james was saying? if not then you might want to, I believe it's pretty good advice for where your at right now...

Here it is again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eq9RVKT9XQ
Quote by tonibet72
did you watch the video I posted of what james was saying? if not then you might want to, I believe it's pretty good advice for where your at right now...

Here it is again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eq9RVKT9XQ

I really appreciate that you try to point me at some direction. I watched it a while ago, and I just watched it again, and basicly, if I listen to him, I wanna find other people to play with, or me and other guitarist have, because I'm more open minded (at least I think I am). Hetfield is a big influence for me. Thanks again.
Quote by kimi_page
I really appreciate that you try to point me at some direction. I watched it a while ago, and I just watched it again, and basicly, if I listen to him, I wanna find other people to play with, or me and other guitarist have, because I'm more open minded (at least I think I am). Hetfield is a big influence for me. Thanks again.

Yeah cool... you'll know when it's time and who to take, I guess... good luck!
Quote by kimi_page
I don't want to copy anything, just to write everything that sounds good, without putting it in any category. It's stupid to categorize music and to think in terms of any subgender.

Hilarious typo But how come earlier you said;

Quote by kimi_page
we believe that straight forward thrash doesn't cut it in the manner of new band (old thrash band that allready have fan base are different story), and we believe that we won't get noticed with thrash (guitarist and me). But drummer points at thrash. How can I make everyone satisfied with what we play?

So basically you will write anything that sounds good....as long as it's thrash. Well lets see what the other guys are open to.

Quote by kimi_page

our drummer is ultra metallica fan, and likes simple thrash riffs with a lot of gallops and downpicking and couple power chords in between

I really like thrash, and also progressive stuff,

the other guitarist kinda hate thrash
***AlanHB annotation*** even though he believes he won't be noticed without it, which is totally not trying to copy a band or genre at all, you just wouldn't understand man

drummer kinda hate progressive style of playing

Maybe you guys should follow this guy's lead;

Quote by kimi_page
Bassist is the only one that doesn't give a shit what we all play.

This guys seems to know what he's doing.

Give this one a shot. Have a band where everyone plays with their own influences.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud