I'm upgrading my pickups and I wanted to start completely from scratch. I have a schematic for a 1 hum 1 vol 1 tone setup. Everything I'd pretty much figured out except for the pots. I have heard that I need at least 500k pots but other than that, I'm lost.

I am installing a Seymour Duncan SH-6 and just need help choosing pots. Does anyone have any idea what brand I should use for the best utilization of these pickups?

I'm going for a thrash meets metalcore sound. The three groups that I kinda crib my sound from are: Mastodon, Trivium and Times of Grace.

Thanks!
Yea I figured they wouldn't really make or break my tone. I just want to make sure I get the right parts and set it all up right to avoid any mishaps and embarrassing pleas for help.

I have heard of capacitors being soldered on to the pots for some reason. Anyone care to shed some light on this?
Lower pot values load the signal more heavily, causing a noticeable decrease in high freqs. They most certainly affect tone. Most people use 500k for humbuckers. IMHO 250k is way too dark and 1M is too bright if dealing with humbuckers.

The reason caps are soldered to the pots is to provide a tone control. Pots are just pots. Their function depends on how you wire it.

This may also be helpful.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Invader+Jim/blog/131709/

I wrote it to debunk some myths but I also explain how the tone circuit actually works.
I got a cheap build kit last summer, and installed the SH-6 in the bridge and SH-2 in the neck (pretty common combination I believe) instead of the crappy pups included. Most parts included seamed rather cheap. Despite this, the stock 500k pots included actually sound just fine in my opinion. Just get 500k pots for those pups.

Hope this helps.
Quote by Invader Jim
Lower pot values load the signal more heavily, causing a noticeable decrease in high freqs. They most certainly affect tone. Most people use 500k for humbuckers. IMHO 250k is way too dark and 1M is too bright if dealing with humbuckers.

The reason caps are soldered to the pots is to provide a tone control. Pots are just pots. Their function depends on how you wire it.

This may also be helpful.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Invader+Jim/blog/131709/

I wrote it to debunk some myths but I also explain how the tone circuit actually works.

Right, i meant that the brand or type doesnt change tone, not that the values dont.
Yes all of this info is greatly appreciated. It's always good to know how it all works. Now I can get to work changing these crappy stock ltd pups.
I believe the general idea for pots is 250k - single coils, 500k - humbuckers. Reason being single coils are alot brighter and treble...ier (if thats even a word) so 250k rolls the high end off a little more than 500k. But its up to you of course, they're pretty cheap so you could even get both types and experiment

Also as explorer said, higher pot quality just ensures they'll last longer and don't feel as 'cheap'.

I recently bought some new pots actually. I ordered some higher quality ones (still only cost £2 though), reason being they're greased inside and have a satisfying feel when you turn them. They have a smoother and slower turn compared to cheaper pots like the ones that were in my guitar to begin with.