Alot of peopole talk about string action as playability vs. tone. I have found out that for me i tend to have more control over riffing, strumming, alternate picking with higher action, only thing that i find better with low action is legato.
The weird thing is that all my friends that i conciser "shredders" tend to have the action on their guitar very low. I find it impossible to alternate pick fast on a guitar with low action. I used to have my action low a while ago, but when i raised it quite a bit, my guitar playing became much better, faster, cleaner.
How is it with you guys?
I have mine pretty low. I haven't noticed any difference for ease of picking personally, but the lower action definitely helps with spending less energy with my fretting hand.
Quote by Vanhalaf
Your technique may be faulty.

This, string action shouldn't have ANY influence on your right hand, only left. The only way I could imagine it even remotely effecting picking is if you pick over the fretboard
Quote by Velcro Man
This, string action shouldn't have ANY influence on your right hand, only left. The only way I could imagine it even remotely effecting picking is if you pick over the fretboard

It could definitely be a bad sync between hands causing issues though. If you can't alt pick at exactly the same speed as your left hand fingers and hitting the notes then you'll get a much more pronounced hammer-on with the left hand (or dead notes) with a lower action.
Quote by Velcro Man

The issue is that if i keep them low, they buzz when i pick hard, but not soft. The issue is then that i need to keep the picking soft to not buzz them. This makes it harder.