They're just...different.

Leo originally intended the Strat to be a more ergonomic guitar and a more expensive one (by a little), and it accomplishes that. The Tele's essentially a baseball bat bolted to a cutting board. Nonetheless, it's a competent guitar that seems to have a sound (and a following) all its own. The strat is the best selling guitar out there. The tele was pretty much THE country guitar, but has been finding its way into rock music more often recently. Go figure.
It's all preference, but:

A tele sounds like a tele.

No middle pickup.

Fatter neck.

Hardtail.

different body style.

Personally, I think some things the strat does, like the cutaways and the pickguard holding all of the pickups, are better by design. But sometimes stuff like that doesn't really matter.
Quote by dspellman
They're just...different.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love them both. I think a strat sounds a bit compressed and the tele is a bit more open/raw with more lows and highs. That is my take in their standard single coil setups.

Out of the dozens of electrics I've had over the years tele's also seem to be loudest unplugged. Spank and twang out its ass.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 26, 2014,
Looking like Bruce Springsteen?

No, but seriously... the body style of the Tele feels way thicker , and I don't think it's as streamlined as the Stratocaster body. I think that gives the Tele more sustain.

The neck on the Tele feels more like a hybrid Les Paul/Stratocaster neck because it's way thicker.

Personally I like Strats better, but I've borrowed Teles from friends also.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
There is something unique about the voice of a Tele. It stands out. I used to think they were ugly and uncomfortable to play and I couldn't imagine why someone would choose a Tele when there are so many cooler guitars out there. My ears (and my bandmates ears) tell me they seriously kick ass. I can't explain it in words but an Olympic White USA Tele is now my #1 axe.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's really just personal preference but if I had to think of a "pro" over a Strat, it would be the simplicity of the hardtail vs. a tremolo
Quote by 757ian123
It's really just personal preference but if I had to think of a "pro" over a Strat, it would be the simplicity of the hardtail vs. a tremolo

But that can be fixed very easily by hardtailing a Strat via the springs, a block, or a mechanism like the Tremol-No.

Tele's and Strats are just different. I really like both, with my preference being Strats, but when I decide it's time for a new guitar I'll probably look into a Tele.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I dig both, but I'll take a Strat over a Tele any day.
Strats are more comfortable.
Strats have more sound options.
Strats have trems.

But there are clearly players who prefer Teles. To each his own.

For ten years, I had two electrics. A Strat and a Tele.
Now I have 7 Strats and that same Tele.
Last edited by peskypesky at Mar 27, 2014,
the advantage of a tele is it's easier and costs less to build because it has one less pick up.

and it wasn't designed to resemble a 50's american auto.

and what dspellman said.
Sometimes less is more.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Sometimes less is more.

Indeed. Some of the coolest guitar tones ever came from a Fender Esquire or Les Paul Jr.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Having one less pickup could be an advantage too if you plan on upgrading. Cheaper and less work to install.
and there is that 72 (I think its a 72) tele deluxe with the les paul style controls which is pretty damn cool. I love having a volume/tone for each pickup.