Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my R.W. Jameson acoustic-electric. Specifically, the first three frets on the high E and the first two on the B and G strings. When I go to play a note or a chord, no matter how hard I press down, it makes this tinny sound, like the string is drastically muted. I have a gig on Friday night, and I'm trying to figure it out without spending any money (considering I'm a high school student with no job or source of income, nor a music store/luither in the area).

EDIT: This also happens when I put my capo on, even at the fourth fret. The actual note does come through, but sounds out of tune, even though it is perfectly set.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JackRH07 at Mar 26, 2014,
where do you live Jack ? do you live in an area that's cold and requires your home to be heated? if so, it may be a simple humidity issue. relative humidity(RH) for a guitar should be around 50%. if your homes RH is really low, the guitar is drying out. stick it back in its case with some kind of humidifier. Humidipaks work well as does putting a damp sponge in a rubbermaid container with some holes punched in the top. it'll take a while for it to re-humidify so whenever your not playing it, case it with the humdification system.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
where do you live Jack ? do you live in an area that's cold and requires your home to be heated? if so, it may be a simple humidity issue. relative humidity(RH) for a guitar should be around 50%. if your homes RH is really low, the guitar is drying out. stick it back in its case with some kind of humidifier. Humidipaks work well as does putting a damp sponge in a rubbermaid container with some holes punched in the top. it'll take a while for it to re-humidify so whenever your not playing it, case it with the humdification system.

That makes sense, considering I live in midcoast Maine. I'll be checking this one out. Thanks, man.
i live a few hundred miles to the west of you. right on Lake Champlain. if i don't keep the guitars in the humidified guitar room( i like to keep a few upstairs to grab and play), they tend to get buzzy. i have to rotate them downstairs all the time.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)