Any thoughts on how this would sound? Figured its cheaper than buying new pickups especially if it gives me a different/better sound. Also, is there any soldering involved?
Explain what you mean by 'flipping'. That could mean switching the pickups around, installing them upside down (odd), rotating them... need a more thorough explanation than that.

However, generally with EMG pickups there is no soldering involved in replacing or moving the pickups. Older EMG systems, and guitars which feature EMGs as standard pickups from the factory, have their pots, jack and switches soldered, but the pickups themselves use a simple connection plug under the pickup which can be unplugged in seconds. The exception is very old EMG pickups, which were soldered in just like any passive pickup. They haven't done that since the early 90s, though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
if you mean putting the 89 in the 81 slot say neck to bridge then it won't work, the 89 has a coil tap feature and has five or six pins on the bottom and the 81 will only have three. so the clips that go on those pins won't work, with out re-wiring the pots to match.. if you were to change that way it most defiantly would be a different sound. the 89 sounds close to an 85 in some respects a lil darker or more bassy than the 81 so in the bridge it would thicken your sound some.

on the other had flipping so the EMG logo is in the opposite corner i don't know what would happen, it would depend if the ends are tuned to the end they are supposed to be on.. i know they use rails set in epoxy, but im not sure if one side is meant to heavy low gauge strings and the other for thinner high gauge.. try that and see...
Guitars
Fender Strat-HH dominion/D-activator
Fender Strat-HH Distortion/jazz
Washburn HM-CL/Liquifier
Amp
Orange TH30
EVH 5150iii 50w
Cab
Marshall 1960tv
Fender Bandmaster 2x12
Handmade 2x12 based on Zilla Fatboy
Pedals
NS2>DIY TS808>TU2
Silver77 Is right. If you mean swapping the positions, then you will need to rewire the pots to match.

I have a set of the original EMGs that came in my Great Uncles Les Paul he used at the Grand Ol Opry. I think they sent them to him for free back in the day or something… ANYWAYS. In my Soloist, I had the 81 and 85. I really like the sound of the Originals so I left the 81 and put the Original in the neck and it sounded amazing.

So, I was left with one original (That I kept as a back up) and an 85. I took the 85 and put it the bridge of an old SG I had lying around, left the neck cavity empty and tuned it to to C#… That guitar sounds awesome. It really does beefen things up.

On the other note, I have literally flipped a set of EMGs so that the log was up top and found so tonal differences.
Awesome!
Quote by Silver77
if you mean putting the 89 in the 81 slot say neck to bridge then it won't work, the 89 has a coil tap feature and has five or six pins on the bottom and the 81 will only have three. so the clips that go on those pins won't work, with out re-wiring the pots to match.. if you were to change that way it most defiantly would be a different sound. the 89 sounds close to an 85 in some respects a lil darker or more bassy than the 81 so in the bridge it would thicken your sound some.

on the other had flipping so the EMG logo is in the opposite corner i don't know what would happen, it would depend if the ends are tuned to the end they are supposed to be on.. i know they use rails set in epoxy, but im not sure if one side is meant to heavy low gauge strings and the other for thinner high gauge.. try that and see...

both pickups have a coil tap. I think its the 81tw or something along those lines. But both are coil tappable. Its a schecter c1 hellraiser. But yes, I do mean just switching the neck and bridge pickups around
They don't have 'taps'. Tapping is something you do with single coil pickups. Splitting is something you can do with passive humbuckers.
What EMG uses is a dual pickup design. There are actually two different pickups in there and what you're doing is switching between them.

Anyway.

Switching them around is not a good idea and may not even be possible. The 81TW is larger than other pickups and may not fit in the neck route. Even if it does, it will be hard to set it at the right distance from the strings and the difference in sound won't be terribly desirable. The bridge will get thinner and the neck will get muddier. The output of the bridge in single coil mode will drop very low, too. It'll be like rolling your tone control all the way down on the neck and rolling the volume down a third on the bridge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.