I'm starting to get tired of just strumming chords. I wanna start a routine to get me really into the electric guitar. I know all of the chords (open, barre, power) and I wanna be able to play cool riffs and solos. Where's a good place to start? I know the Smells Like Teen Spirit and About A Girl solo (please no Nirvana. I've played most of their songs already) Are there some scales or something I should be practicing? Thanks.
Thanks for the reply! I'm really looking for anything that will help me advance. I'll check it out!
First off i want to start by saying you don't know all the chords, because there is a lot more than just major,minor,sus2,sus4,7th,major7th etc (assuming you even know them).

Anyways, i say just start practicing songs you actually like. Sure you probably can't play most the songs you like but just take bits and pieces of them and learn some of the easier riffs etc.
Learning scales is pointless at this stage to be honest. I can tell from your initial post that you're not at all interested in learning theory right now so in that case don't go near scales just yet, because without the applicable theory then you're just doing a random exercise that means nothing to you.

It's important to identify what it is you want out of the guitar. Why did you pick it up in the first place? You must have one sort of long term goal, whether clear or unclear.
For me when i started guitar i had a goal of learning the guitar solo to Second Heartbeat by Avenged Sevenfold within 2 years. I actually managed to do it just on the 2 year dot (granted not all that great), but it wasn't too bad to be honest. To get there I just played and covered a bunch of Avenged Sevenfold songs, played lots of metalcore, heavy metal etc. I completely ignored theory and scales because it wasn't something i was interested in at the time.
There must be some reason you picked the guitar up in the first place other than "it's really cool i want to bang heaps of chicks".

I'm gonna link you this video in hopes it will give you some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBKuCJ-Jc

It may not exactly answer the question you're after, but i still think pretty much any guitarist can relate to it.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 27, 2014,
I actually know a little bit of music theory. I studied it for fun before I picked up the guitar but I understand what you're saying. And you made a good point. Why did I pick up the guitar? I picked it up because it's a way for me to express myself and by playing Jimmy Buffett songs at parties I'm not doing a very good job of that. And that it took you 2 years to get to the solo really motivates me. That video of the great Steve Vai was a lot of help. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post!
Ok you absolutely don't know all the chords but just learn a song, literally listen to a song you like, make sure it's within reach, don't start with Mr. Crowley but just learn a whole song, AC/DC songs are really simple, there's tons but yeah start learning songs
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert