Recently, I acquired a (NOS?) RGD2120z from GAK at the bargain price of £799. The guitar is fantastic but I've noticed something peculiar... The serial number is F1001042. Seems a bit strange for a guitar labelled as leaving the factory in 2012.

Anyone know more about this unusual serial number?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
They may have made it in 2010/2011 as a promo/pre-release model. They did that so they could sell them as soon as they were announced. Was it new or used?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
New, with labels saying it had its final inspection on the 17th September 2012.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by TheStig1214
They may have made it in 2010/2011 as a promo/pre-release model. They did that so they could sell them as soon as they were announced. Was it new or used?

NOS means new old stock. It's new but it's a product that wasn't sold when it was being made. But the RGD2120Z came out in 2010. It was only sold for about a year or two so my guess is that they didn't sell too well. Ibanez probably had a bunch laying around and GAK probably just ordered some of the remaining stock. Which explains why it left the factory so late. Or they just had the parts made years earlier and actually assembled it later. Those are my guesses.
Quote by JELIFISH19
NOS means new old stock. It's new but it's a product that wasn't sold when it was being made. But the RGD2120Z came out in 2010. It was only sold for about a year or two so my guess is that they didn't sell too well. Ibanez probably had a bunch laying around and GAK probably just ordered some of the remaining stock. Which explains why it left the factory so late. Or they just had the parts made years earlier and actually assembled it later. Those are my guesses.
When I wrote NOS I meant it as a guess myself

Still no idea why the serial number doesn't match the dates on the labels though
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
The best explanation I can give is that it was built in 2010 as a model ready for release or used in promos but never made it out of the factory until 2012 for some strange reason.

My guess, however, is it's quite possible it was used for conventions like NAMM but in other countries from 2010 when it was built then they shipped it out in 2012. That also may explain why you got it for a steal haha.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Mar 26, 2014,
yeah that is weird. i'm guessing i'd be going by the serial number, but that's just me.

if it annoys you enough you can send it back (you can send it back if you bought online within 7 days for any reason, or indeed no reason). if you like the guitar enough and think it was a good enough deal you can keep it.

captain obvious to the rescue lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?