Poll: Can you screw up gravity?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you screw up gravity?
Yeah totally, I do it all the time man
13 15%
It really makes sense, i guess... Kinda... Well.
2 2%
I don't know.. Maybe?
0 0%
There is no way in hell you could ever do that, you stupid c*nt!
72 83%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 3
Imagine you're inside a car on an airplane going from Texas to Nebraska.. OH NO!!! The doors to the massive hangar just openened, and you are so freaking stupid that you're still inside the car, and you are sliding out.

Now you are falling to your death inside your car, and in some freak acrobatics stunt, you climb out of the car and you are now standing on top of it. You are clinging on to the car in an attempt not to fall off..

A millisecond before the car crashes into the cold hard ground, you make a sissy jump, off of the car, straight into the air..

Do you simply screw up gravity and slow down your speed with a ridiculous amount, or do you still get crushed by Newton's good 'ol friend ?

Vote!
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Quote by MarcFlink
Imagine you're inside a car on an airplane going from Texas to Nebraska.. OH NO!!! The doors to the massive hangar just openened, and you are so freaking stupid that you're still inside the car, and you are sliding out.

Imagine if the plane just disappeared

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666

Imagine if the plane just disappeared

Exactly. Just my point.

And chill.. It's just a fun thread
you still fall to your death. by "jumping" off your car I'd imagine you'd be pushing the car down rather than going up yourself
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by vayne92
You clearly don't have a good understanding of gravity...

Well.. You like fedoras, so neither of us are perfect..
Quote by MarcFlink
Well.. You like fedoras, so neither of us are perfect..

*tips fedora*
If you jumped up, your momentum would decrease by a little bit. That little bit is usually relevant in everyday life, which is why you feel like it would do something, but it's tiny compared to the momentum you'd get by falling from the sky.
You won't be able to stand on the car, since you'd fall at different speeds.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
i think if you jumped up at the same rate that the car was falling, you'd be fine.

notice i said think and you should probably just watch mythbusters doing similar with falling lift.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Instead of being slightly cushioned by the car seats you would slam against the top of a car.
If your legs are strong enough to reduce your falling speed to zero you'll be fine (they're not).
Nah you'd just die. The jump wouldn't even come close to decreasing your speed enough. This is why skydivers use parachutes and not large objects falling with them that they jump on.
Quote by sickman411
No you wouldn't...

Please explain.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
The acceleration of gravity doesn't depend on the mass of the body. If you had the same speed to begin with, you'd always have the same speed.
Quote by sickman411
The acceleration of gravity doesn't depend on the mass of the body. If you had the same speed to begin with, you'd always have the same speed.

They're not falling in a vacuum though, so wouldn't they have different wind resistance?
That's not accounting for drag.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
The car would experience more drag, due to its shape and size and you being on top of the car. So the car would fall slower due to drag and you would fall slower because the car would be falling slower, so the car would act as some sort of floor for you. This is irrelevant to the OP question anyway.
Last edited by sickman411 at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by AtaBorMan
That's not accounting for drag.

TS didn't say anything about a dress code?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Science, motherfucker, do you know it?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by sickman411
The car would experience more drag, due to its shape and size and you being on top of the car. So the car would fall slower due to drag and you would fall slower because the car would be falling slower, so the car would act as some sort of floor for you. This is irrelevant to the OP question anyway.

Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
What?

EDIT: Actually the size of the car is smaller relative to its mass so disregard the size bit. What I said might not be correct at all, so maybe the facepalm is deserved.

EDIT2: Yeah, I was probably wrong now that I think about it. Your speed would change a lot with the tiniest bit of drag, compared to the car's speed. Sorry.
Last edited by sickman411 at Mar 27, 2014,
physics class don't fail me now...

Ok, the two objects would fall at the same rate of 9.81 m/s/s (that's meters per second per second, i.e. acceleration due to gravity). However due to the different mass of each, the average person having a mass of 70 kg and the car of, let's say 2 tonnes, that means the car would hit the ground with 19620 Newtons of force and the person would hit at 686.7 newtons. Therefore, a lighter person would have a far higher chance of survival.

Long story short, jumping won't work.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Gravity acts proportionally to mass, the person and the car would fall at the same speed as soon as they hit terminal velocity (you cant get any faster) around 120 mph (i think) do it doesn't matter about drag in the slightest

the car would hit the ground first though since you are on top of it, obviously
Quote by ATunaFish
Gravity acts proportionally to mass, the person and the car would fall at the same speed as soon as they hit terminal velocity (you cant get any faster) around 120 mph (i think) do it doesn't matter about drag in the slightest

the car would hit the ground first though since you are on top of it, obviously

Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
In order to completely cushion the fall your leg muscles would have to exert the same amount of force that the ground would exert on you if you hit it at full falling-speed and they would have to do it almost instantly.

a) That is impossible, as you cannot even come close to instantly jumping upward at the terminal velocity of your average skydiver which = 55 m/s = 198 km/h = 123 m/h.

b) Even if your muscles were strong enough to bring you almost instantly to that speed, your bones, back, neck and internal organs would still undergo the same acceleration / deceleration as if you hit the ground at that speed, meaning they would undergo the same force.

You could survive if you managed to decelerate by the same amount in a much longer period of time. But that's called using a parachute.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Mar 27, 2014,
you have 2 brek of smth light lyk a mirror or smth cus they fall sloer and hold on2 it to slo u down
You wouldn't screw up the law of Gravity by doing that, your corpse would instead confirm it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by AtaBorMan

Pretty easy to create an aura of superior intelligence when you quote stuff and simply post a facepalm emote instead of any sort of actual rebuttal or correction
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
^.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah you'd just die. The jump wouldn't even come close to decreasing your speed enough. This is why skydivers use parachutes and not large objects falling with them that they jump on.
^x3.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

What? No it isn't. Large objects are far more difficult to get in the small plane than parachutes.
Quote by severed-metal
What? No it isn't. Large objects are far more difficult to get in the small plane than parachutes.

Nonsense!

Most parachutes are quite large once opened, thus it's relatively easy to get large objects in them.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by severed-metal

You can fit a parachute in your mother.

OHHHHHHHHHHH HELLL NO I DIDN'T
Page 1 of 3