Can anyone tell me what pedal Jim Root is using in order to get this sound. Of course each player has their own technique but I'm trying to fill up the last space on my pedal board. I've checked out his current pedal board and the only pedals that it could be is either the MXR Auto Q, Digitech Synth Wah or Maxon Auto Wah unless he's using several at a time or a different pedal. What do you guys think?

I've posted links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFrM_xS3ls
(^^^ 2:46 ^^^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKsigoyNzY
(^^^ 2:33 & 3:35 & 4:29 ^^^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcn2eAUnqCM
(^^^ 2:34 ^^^)
Last edited by FabzGuitar at Mar 27, 2014,
Sounds like a stutter to me.
A heavy tremolo pedal with a square waveform option would do.

The only one I know of is the suhr rabbit, but you can probably find something cheaper.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Sounds like a stutter to me.
A heavy tremolo pedal with a square waveform option would do.

The only one I know of is the suhr rabbit, but you can probably find something cheaper.

It can't be a tremolo pedal, he doesn't have one in his rig. Check the link

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/215-jim-root-guitar-rig-gear-slipknot-and-stone-sour?showall=&start=1
I wouldn't take the images posted there as definitive of his rig. I've seen stuff posted there that's either out of date or simply completely wrong.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
I wouldn't take the images posted there as definitive of his rig. I've seen stuff posted there that's either out of date or simply completely wrong.

I know, but in all the gear rig rundowns he's done, he's rig hasn't changed only for a few shows where he's added certain pedals due to the set list but his rig has been the same for the past 4 years
Then let's go for the "completely wrong" idea.

You could get the same effect with what I described, whatever the effect he's using.
Or whit a killswitch for that matter, though the killswitch would be a bit inconvenient to operate when playing such stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Then let's go for the "completely wrong" idea.

You could get the same effect with what I described, whatever the effect he's using.
Or whit a killswitch for that matter, though the killswitch would be a bit inconvenient to operate when playing such stuff.

I was considering getting a tremolo pedal but an envelope filter seems better for some reason. Which is why i'm trying to track down the pedal.
Quote by FabzGuitar
I was considering getting a tremolo pedal but an envelope filter seems better for some reason. Which is why i'm trying to track down the pedal.
And said reason would be?

An envelope filter works as a wah triggered by your playing.
You play something loud, you get the wah effect.

That's not what I was hearing, though by any means get one if you like the idea.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
And said reason would be?

An envelope filter works as a wah triggered by your playing.
You play something loud, you get the wah effect.

That's not what I was hearing, though by any means get one if you like the idea.

Neither am I, I was thinking that the sound was triggered by the 3 envelope filters being used at once. I can't find a single video of anyone brave enough to try using 3 at once. Only pedal I can think of off the top of my head is the EH Pulsar which is a tremolo pedal. It's the one closest enough to make that sound. What do you think