Hello, hope Im in the right forum with this. I have an Epiphone Explorer, I cant seem to get the action set right. I like it low so I have the bridge almost all the way down yet the action is too high on the high end of the fret board (12th fret on up) and too low on the nut end giving me a few dead notes on the high E and B strings first & second fret's. I loose the dead notes if I turn the truss rod CC as far as I dare, any further and I fear snapping the truss. But this still leaves the high end too high.
Any help is appreciated.

Could my nut be set too low?
Sounds like you may have a bow in the neck. How is the relief? Have you actually measured anything or are you just "eyeballing" it?
This guy has been invaluable as far as setups go. I have been trying everything he says, and it is pretty spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDIeida8-Kk

Should ad, I'm not trying to be rude. I really want to help you.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by TinPan
Hello, hope Im in the right forum with this. I have an Epiphone Explorer, I cant seem to get the action set right. I like it low so I have the bridge almost all the way down yet the action is too high on the high end of the fret board (12th fret on up) and too low on the nut end giving me a few dead notes on the high E and B strings first & second fret's. I loose the dead notes if I turn the truss rod CC as far as I dare, any further and I fear snapping the truss. But this still leaves the high end too high.
Any help is appreciated.

Could my nut be set too low?

You should have some way to actually Measure the string action , how high is it ? mine is set to low E 2 millimeters high E 1.75 at the 12 fret .
I check my neck relief by throwing a capo on the first fret and pressing the 17th fret or where the neck joins the body. there should be a gap around the 8th fret, if there is your neck has enough relief.

if your bridge is bottomed out, the neck relief is very minimal or flat even. and the high frets are still too low you need to shim your neck raising it up and angling it ever so slightly. I just had to do this with my strat.

while action is strictly a bridge adjustment.. the interplay of neck relief, your nut and the neck angle itself will dictate just how low you can get your action and still have a playable guitar.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by glenthemann
I check my neck relief by throwing a capo on the first fret and pressing the 17th fret or where the neck joins the body. there should be a gap around the 8th fret, if there is your neck has enough relief.

if your bridge is bottomed out, the neck relief is very minimal or flat even. and the high frets are still too low you need to shim your neck raising it up and angling it ever so slightly. I just had to do this with my strat.

while action is strictly a bridge adjustment.. the interplay of neck relief, your nut and the neck angle itself will dictate just how low you can get your action and still have a playable guitar.

No, the string height on the high end (12th fret on up) it too high while the low end is too low, which is what's blowing my mind.... If I lower the bridge any lower I will get dead notes on the nut end, If I loosen the truss (turn it clockwise) I get the same thing "dead notes" on the nut end, strings too high on the body end.
Well without seeing it I'm just running through whats going through my mind from what you describe.

Sounds like you have a backbow - if loosening the truss rod all the way and string tension doesn't alleviate this then your neck could just be shot. Hold your guitar up to your eye and sight it like you would a rifle, you should be able to perceive the bend in the neck, what does it look like?

If you press the second fret, is there any gap between the strings and the first fret? Your nut could be too low.

In either case, if the strings are way too high above your last frets you need to bring the bridge down (which you said you've already done) or you need to raise the neck up in its pocket.

It actually sounds like your neck may just be warped and in some sort of odd S shape where it curves up and then back, giving you dead notes on the nut end but strings way too high.

Sight the neck out and see what it looks like.. if all else fails I'd just bring it into a guitar shop and have them look at it, its hard to diagnose your issue exactly

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON