Page 1 of 3
Basically, the job is to go door to door and get people to buy their energy from the energy company that I would be working for. The job pays pretty well (to me) I get 600 dollars a week minimum and a pretty good commission. I could potentially earn up to 2 grand a week. The only problem is that I morally think that the company is evil.

Basically what the company does is pray on the elderly and women (elderly people are 13% more likely to buy something from a salesperson than the average man, and women are 8% more likely to buy something than the average man) to buy fixed rate energy at a price that is almost always higher than what they would be paying otherwise. The people sign a contract that forces them into paying for it for a length of time (depending on the length of time they sign up for, the rate changes, but it never makes up for it). My job would be to enter someones house, lie to them, charm them, intimated them, etc. to buy something that they don't need, and then bleed them dry while the company CEO and Presidents make millions of dollars. If I decide I want it I'm starting on Monday.

What should I do? Should I sacrifice my moral integrity to make some money? Or should I stick to what's right and keep having no money?
Well you sold me on it. Where do I sign?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by macashmack

What should I do? Should I sacrifice my moral integrity to make some money? Or should I stick to what's right and keep having no money?

only you know the answer to this. unless it was going door to door for the KKK or picketing abortion clinics, there aren't many things I wouldn't do for money.
Why did you apply for a job you knew you didn't want?
If you're desperate for money, you may as well take the job that's been offered. Do it for a while and quit as soon as you find something better.
You take them old people's pennies.

They won't be needing them.

Soon be dead.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Its just a bunch of old people, they'll probably die before their contracts up
Sail upon the open skies
It's morally wrong. But if you have absolutely no other option but to do that job, then do it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You're poor and need money so shut up. At least you can say "Hey, at least i'm not a prostitute."
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Who gives a shit about ethics? You'd be making money, dude. Not exactly something easy.

Let me guess, you're like 15 years old, right?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
The thing is, I'm not poor and I have a place to live. It's not like if I don't have this job then I'm out on the street. I don't have a source of income right now and this job would be a pretty good one.
You're 19. Get a better job. Those jobs are literally the worst. I did door to door sales for a big company once. Worst. Shit. Ever. I quit after one day, it was that bad. I have no idea why i thought it would be good in the first place.
Quote by vayne92
You're 19. Get a better job. Those jobs are literally the worst. I did door to door sales for a big company once. Worst. Shit. Ever. I quit after one day, it was that bad. I have no idea why i thought it would be good in the first place.

Did you not like it because it was boring or because it is such a sleazy profession?
Quote by macashmack
Did you not like it because it was boring or because it is such a sleazy profession?

It's borderline slave labour. Hardest work I've ever ever done in my life and the money isn't as good as you think it will be. 2grand a week.. good luck with that. Sales make working in hospitality and retail not seem like absolute shit.
Just get out of that piece of shit job because you will hate it. I actually admire people who can work in the field though and not hate their life, because it's just that bad.
Quote by vayne92
It's borderline slave labour. Hardest work I've ever ever done in my life and the money isn't as good as you think it will be. 2grand a week.. good luck with that. Sales make working in hospitality and retail not seem like absolute shit.
Just get out of that piece of shit job because you will hate it. I actually admire people who can work in the field though and not hate their life, because it's just that bad.

Damn. This whole thing is a pile of shit.
I'm thinking about trying it for a week and then seeing if I'll stay.
Quote by macashmack
Damn. This whole thing is a pile of shit.
I'm thinking about trying it for a week and then seeing if I'll stay.

Maybe you wont hate it, but you will hate it so who am i kidding. I'm interested if anyone else in the pit has done door to door sales, because there's no way anyone can work that field and not hate it.
Quote by vayne92
Maybe you wont hate it, but you will hate it so who am i kidding. I'm interested if anyone else in the pit has done door to door sales, because there's no way anyone can work that field and not hate it.

Some of us drink or take amphetamines.

We're ready and happy to do whatever.

In fact 2 grand is over double what I made in a month washing dishes.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 27, 2014,
Most jobs prey on the old or stupid. Take Rent to Own places like Aarons, Rent a Center, etc. People end up paying 4+ times what the product is actually worth. I managed an Aaron's for a year and it was rediculous. Particle board living room set that cost us 400 bucks sells for 24 payments of "only" 300 a month. Or Reverse morgage companies that love taking homes from old people who don't know better. Or the advanced payday places where it takes 1/3 of your next check as the fee.

80%+ of all jobs out there can be considered "morally wrong"
If it payed well I'd still do it.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by vayne92

I didn't quit after one day (jesus dude, really?), but essentially this.

There is always a better job you can find than one that involves D2D sales. it is one of the most ineffective methods of marketing (I have immediate questions for any company still doing this) and you will feel like absolute ass while doing it.

Being young, you do have a slight advantage over someone who would work the job while being in their late 20s or early 30s. People will understand this isn't your be all end all job and will politely tell you to **** off instead of closing the door in your face or threatening you to get off their property. However, 95% of people you'll talk to will want nothing to do with your business. If you can deal with that without getting discouraged, you'll probably be alright. But if the pay is commission based, you're ultimately wasting your time.

So essentially, if you need the money that badly take the job. If you don't need the money, there will most likely be another line of work that you will enjoy more.

Quote by vayne92
Sales make working in hospitality and retail not seem like absolute shit.

This isn't true. Working sales for a company with a pre-established market is a great job. Working sales door-to-door makes hospitality and retail seem like great work. I would know, I left door-to-door sales to go back to the food industry.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Let me guess, you're like 15 years old, right?

Yup. I am 11 years old and I know at my young, precocious age that getting a job is not easy. I've turned down opportunities before cuz they weren't "morally justifiable" and guess what? I'm still a broke-ass kid who could've been halfway into doing something useful with his life.

But for some reason, on this internet forum, you want to show everyone that you value your own pride over money than an 11 year old. Good for you, you're a better person than me. You can have that. Realize that there are such things as compromises and pretty soon the choice between failure and compromising on your ideology just enough to help yourself for the year isn't as easy as "Hah, I'd NEVER work for an evil conglomerate!". Otherwise, who's the immature one here?

My serious opinion, TS, is that you should do what makes you comfortable. That's money you could find yourself needing in a few months, should you decide to take the chance of finding another gig and struggling with that. Or it's money that you could have in a few months, whether to help in your chosen career or as a simple safety net. The choice is yours, but I learned the hard way that turning down opportunities isn't fantastic.
$2K a week for door to door selling? Jesus. I don't get half that and I think that I have a job that's somewhat valuable to society. I shouldn't be surprised, shit is all topsey turvey. I get paid decently, but not that decently.

Morally questionable, probably. But not completely wrong. If you give people all the correct information, don't try and trick them and make sure they aren't conned, then you're fine.

All advertising targets demographics, it's just how you go about it that makes it cool or not.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
Basically, the job is to go door to door and get people to buy their energy from the energy company that I would be working for. The job pays pretty well (to me) I get 600 dollars a week minimum and a pretty good commission. I could potentially earn up to 2 grand a week. The only problem is that I morally think that the company is evil.

Fuck morality, stupid. You're making bling. I'd sell orphan children if it paid well.
Quote by stratkat
Some of us drink or take amphetamines.

We're ready and happy to do whatever.

In fact 2 grand is over double what I made in a month washing dishes.

Have done both, can tell you that washing dishes is more enjoyable.

Everyone keeps throwing around 2 grand, he's not going to be making that. Especially if the job is commission based, to which I say go wash dishes.
The thing is, if not you they'd just get someone else doing it and not even question it like this

But I'd still feel like poop doing that and I don't think I'd want any part in it so I guess go for it if you're comfortable knowing the above
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
you would only make 2 grand if you could sell ice to eskimos
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
It's a crap job and will hollow you out from the inside over time. Dump it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Rockford_rocks
Have done both, can tell you that washing dishes is more enjoyable.

Everyone keeps throwing around 2 grand, he's not going to be making that. Especially if the job is commission based, to which I say go wash dishes.

I imagine dishes depends on where you work, it's still monotonous.
I much more enjoyed my job at mcdonalds than I did my dishes job.

And even at the base of 600 or whatever op said, I'd still try to fake my way through it for a week or two.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 27, 2014,
I was a volunteer missionary for my church, going door to door regularly. Did it for a couple years. It was...an interesting experience. I'll be honest, if I didn't agree or believe in what I was doing, I would've quit really really early on, despite how good the pay could be. Since you're saying you already think it's morally wrong, this might make it hard for you.

Give it a shot, but just be aware that it will be really difficult.
Sounds like a pyramid/ponzi scheme (aka a scam). I'm willing to bet they'll ask you for a fee up front for training or whatever. Bunch of bullshit, you won't make any money.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

also, it seems that your moral outrage is based on the idea that you shouldn't target the elderly, however if you look at it economically the elderly have the most money in society, which is why people are constantly targeting them either special old person deals, and why the government pays for their health care without means testing, if you follow the money old people have lots of it, and many people try to use that to their advantage
lol @ people arguing over ethics. who gives a shit? It's business. business is inherently evil. no matter what you do in life, you're selling something to somebody. if you're selling something, you're looking for a profit, no matter what it is. doesnt matter if youre selling scam energy or fruit roll ups, you're gonna **** someone in some way. just do it. you need to pay the bills.

i work at a mall selling cheap shit for high prices to people. i dont force them to buy anything, and you dont force people to sign the contract. thats up to them. it's not your fault people gotta make money
pinga
Quote by macashmack
600 dollars a week... potentially earn up to 2 grand a week.

do you know what unemployment is

this is a good job, as long as it is legit. read the contracts well
Do it but don't stick with it. You could do that shit for six months then look for another job. Hell, if you could stand it a year then it would be better. You can always tell people that you regret doing it and that's why you didn't stay for the money.

Just make a note to shut down companies like that in your future.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Do it but don't stick with it. You could do that shit for six months then look for another job. Hell, if you could stand it a year then it would be better. You can always tell people that you regret doing it and that's why you didn't stay for the money.

Just make a note to shut down companies like that in your future.

This is a good plan
The 2 grand a week is only if I make a few sales every day. I don't think that's likely.

@Naedauuf: The company is an electric utility company, the office that I went into for the interview was in a building at the power plant.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 27, 2014,
Page 1 of 3