Hey, I've recently been conducting research into how close amp modelling software can get to replicate real guitar amps. From this I've created a quick blind test to see if you can tell the difference! All the clips use the exact same settings on the ampfliers and modelling software, the same microphone (SM57) and the same microphone placement, no other effects are added as this would distort the signal from the amp. The test isn't to identify the best quality tone, but rather to see if their is a noticeable different between the two approaches.

I would really appreciate it if any of the guitarists on here spare a few minutes to complete my short test on Amps Vs. Amp Modelling Software for my university dissertation

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=26rbt1yj0a2xv08449596

Thanks a lot!!
Last edited by amassivewhale at Mar 27, 2014,
Repeat thread.

Just posting in a different forum won't help you get a more positive response if you're trying to compare amp models to MGs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The MG was a cool car!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Nothing can reproduce the crushing overdrive of a Marshall MG.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Mephaphil
The MG was a cool car!

Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This was a cool little test actually. Both Peavey's sounded damn awful though.
Quote by yoman297
amp modeling software can kiss my ass

No it can't.

But seriously, it doesn't tell you the results when you're done the test? that's trash
Israel is a terrorist state.
Yeah, I'd like to know which was which. I definitely answered the Marshall one under the assumption that you had bad micing technique, since thats seemed to be the biggest difference in sound, haha.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Tube Amps > Kemper > Axe-FX > good SS > Software > Modeling amps> Entry-level SS's.

Though for the average hobbyist recording-engineer-wannabe person, good modelers beat out Tube Amps for recording. Even the best tube amps miked through a shitty $150 interface aren't going to shine like they're meant to.
Quote by JD Close
No it can't.

But seriously, it doesn't tell you the results when you're done the test? that's trash

i wish it could
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Though for the average hobbyist recording-engineer-wannabe person, good modelers beat out Tube Amps for recording.

lol
Quote by SkepsisMetal
lol

he's right though.

have fun micing your really loud tube amp in your really small untreated bedroom m8
My Kemper sounds as good as the amps it profiles. It really is mental.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

The results are the following:
1, 1, 2, 2.

It's not my guess, he sent me a pm.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
My Kemper sounds as good as the amps it profiles. It really is mental.

But can it do an MG?

You can only get those real brootz with a real MG.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by willT08
he's right though.

have fun micing your really loud tube amp in your really small untreated bedroom m8

I wasn't loling at that. If you have that situation, just DI.
But to say modelling software is only for hobbyists is very naive
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Tube Amps > Kemper > Axe-FX > good SS > Software > Modeling amps> Entry-level SS's.

I love it when Ian makes absurd generalizations, especially incorrect ones.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I love it when Ian makes absurd generalizations, especially incorrect ones.
I love how you're always all "LEL HURR DURR IANS SO RONG N DUM AND I R BETUR" and never even bother specifying the flaw in the argument because your ego is so tremendous and your head is so far up your own ass that you wouldn't dare risk being proven wrong and/or more retarded. Well, keep enjoying the smell of your own shit.

Quote by willT08
he's right though.

Less of the matter is on the room acoustics (unless distant miking) but rather the mic interface/preamp or both.

A Focusrite Saffire/Scarlett or low-end Fast-Track for example isn't going to be hot enough to allow most dynamic mics (even an SM57) to really shine. Finding this out kept me from making the mistake of buying an SM7b.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Mar 27, 2014,
I'm with 777 about your generalization, it kinda was a pretty exaggeratedly absurd generalization.
It really depends on lotsa stuff you know, you can't just say something is better than something else, 'cause if you're talking about sounds it's something subjective and if you're talking about other mesurable stuff you should be clearer.

And now please enlighten us on how some hotter inputs would benefit dynamic mics
Because, y' know, there are interfaces with hotter inputs than the cheap fast tracks and converters with less headroom, so I really see no point in having more gain at disposal.
You could just buy a pre if you need gain anyway so why bothering?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I'm with 777 about your generalization, it kinda was a pretty exaggeratedly absurd generalization.
It really depends on lotsa stuff you know, you can't just say something is better than something else, 'cause if you're talking about sounds it's something subjective and if you're talking about other mesurable stuff you should be clearer.
There are of course exceptions like the Roland JC's, some Peavey's, Ampeg VH140c's that are solid state and provide great tones as well, but it's generally accepted that tube amplification be used to provide for ideal tone.

And of course there are those instances where you're going for a specific kind of sound that can ONLY be done by a SS (like Chuck Schuldiner's tone or old-school death metal where they used Boss HM-2's). But again, it wouldn't fall under what's commonly accepted as "good tone."

I could cover my strings with duct tape to get a "specific sound" but very few people are going to enjoy the way it sounds and it's not going to be as practical in any other situation.

Quote by Spambot_2
And now please enlighten us on how some hotter inputs would benefit dynamic mics
Because, y' know, there are interfaces with hotter inputs than the cheap fast tracks and converters with less headroom, so I really see no point in having more gain at disposal.
You could just buy a pre if you need gain anyway so why bothering?
What kind of question is this? If you want your mic working like it should you need gain or it's not gonna pick up what it's supposed to. Just like how guitar amps with more sensitive input stages are more touch-sensitive, and pick up more detail of the strings.

Plus there's a lot more that factors into it; quality of the wiring, the cables, the connectors, and even before the interface. As Will mentioned you also have to deal with room acoustics although that really shouldn't be an issue with an SM57 direct miking (unless your room is REALLY tight with no carpeting).

Unless you are working at pro level, save time and money and just go with modeling. No one in your audience of maybe 1,000 will know the difference anyway. Aside from a few guitar-nerd dorks.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
never even bother specifying the flaw in the argument

The flaw is that is an absurd generalization. I did, in fact, bother specifying it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Bumping this just because Ian is an ass.

I run two daisy-chained Saffire Pro40s and have no problems with any mic, dynamic or otherwise.

Go and tongue-punch a fox's fartbox, you diaper-wearing manchild.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.