Hi all First Post,

So I am wiring my Explorer Style Kit. It has Two Humbuckers from GFS.

I wanted to coil tap both humbuckers on two Push-Push volume pots.

I used This wiring diagram http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_02/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Lever-Switch2-Volumes1-ToneIndividual-Coil-Taps.html

Upon finishing my soldering I put together my guitar and tested it, the only amp i currently have is digital through Rocksmith.

At first I didn't have any sound, upon taking off my back plate and taking the pots out of the holes i was able to get sound out of the neck pickup, however, the sound faded pretty quickly and i could still hear the string vibrating when the speakers were not making noise. The bridge pick up would sometimes make a burst of sound if i played with the wire, but nothing consistent.

I decided to rewire the guitar with stranded wire 22AWG. After rewiring I couldn't get any sound at all. I searched the internet and it said a ground or shielding might be touching a hot wire, so again i took the pots out of the cavity to make sure no wiring was touching and tried again, but still no sound.

Here's the weird part: When I touch the lug, where the north start on each volume pot goes, according to the diagram above, I get sound. But it still fades pretty quick. I dont know if I am grounding it with my body or whether the connection is bad and my touch fixes it.

Could anyone please help me?

Is it the diagram is wrong? I made sure i followed it.

Is it my connections are bad? quite possibly imo.

What else could it be? I used a magnet to make sure no steel wool was floating around.

Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks!
Last edited by rawrzombii at Mar 27, 2014,
I'd check the wiring, specially the pickup selector, you should add a picture of your wiring.
thanks for the quick response!

Ill try to get some pictures, could the selector switch be the real issue here?
It seemed to work when I was testing the pickups, but then I can't be 100% sure.
Your soldering is most likely not right
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Your soldering is most likely not right

Thanks for the advice, to clarify do you mean the connections are not right, or i put a wire in the wrong spot?
Quote by rawrzombii
Thanks for the advice, to clarify do you mean the connections are not right, or i put a wire in the wrong spot?

If you followed the diagram correctly, I would say your solder joints are not making proper contact
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate