Hi world! Today I got caught up listening to some swedish death metal and it made me want to break out the ol' HM-2 that I bought years ago. When I bought it, it sounded terrible. Not like how it did on the recordings at all. after I stored it away for a few years I decided today to use it again in the hopes that I was just imagining those memories. To my disappointment, it still sounded as bad as I remember. I really want use this thing for a part in one of my bands songs but I don't think one part in one song would warrant buying a new one. So, can anyone determine whats wrong with it? Would I be able to send it in and have it repaired?

Heres how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE2L33pdmEA&feature=youtu.be
You'll need an HM-2 Repair tool.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^

Quote by MattBrockway
So, can anyone determine whats wrong with it?
Yes, yes I can: it sounds bad.

Anyway it's built to sound that way, it's not broken or anything.
There are mods I remember reading about, you should find stuff googling "boss hm-2 mods" or something similar, tough I don't think you will get that good of a sound from it anyway.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The HM-2 is a great pedal and can get conventional distortion sounds if it is working properly. How are you powering it?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Are you playing an acoustic guitar through it in that video? It definitely sounds it and that's definitely the problem here, not the pedal.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I am 99% certain the pedal is being improperly powered in some way. What does the sticker next to the power jack say and what are you powering it with?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

IIRC, the HM-2 was originally built to use a 12v adapter. This can be worked around for some reason if you use a daisy chain though.
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Quote by Spambot_2
^

Yes, yes I can: it sounds bad.

Anyway it's built to sound that way, it's not broken or anything.
There are mods I remember reading about, you should find stuff googling "boss hm-2 mods" or something similar, tough I don't think you will get that good of a sound from it anyway.

Did you even watch the video? It should not sound like its cracking and popping. Also boss hm2 does not need mods, its perfect as it is for what TS wants to use it for: Swedish death metal, Entombed and Dismember style. That pedal is the source of that sound without mods.

TS, what kind of gear are you running it through? Just ruling this out though honestly it sounds like the pedal itself is busted.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I am powering it with a boss adapter that came with it. But upon further inspection the 12v adapter input is a little bit loose. would this be the cause of it? And it's not an acoustic, its a Humbucker From Hell, love that thing! I'm going guitar ---> pedal ---> bass amp in the video but it sounds the same through my guitar amp.
It might be that it just doesn't play well with your amps. I had to tweak mine for a LONG time before I got a satisfactory tone out of it. And that included trying it up front of the amp and in the loop.

I'll tell you one thing -- people who say to "run all the knobs at 10" are smoking crack. That sounds like shit. (And no, the pedal does not sound like shit when adjusted properly -- it's a rather beautiful sound, if I do say so myself )

I run mine through a 6505+, and I've never been able to get good performance with it up front of the amp (between the guitar and amp input). That is the conventional way, but it has never worked for me. The tone is right but the articulation is terrible. My point is, I had to do a lot of experimentation before it worked for me.

I run mine in the loop with the gain on the pedal all the way down. I set the level/volume on the pedal just enough to make it even with the already overdriven volume. Instant At the Gates tone right there. I do run the lower EQ on the pedal maxed, but that's the only knob I max. All the HM-2 is really doing on my rig is adding that buzzsaw color to my tone, not more gain.

Keep playing around with it. The knobs are VERY sensitive.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 27, 2014,
Interesting KailM, not sure if this would be the best time to ask, but would a metalzone, run in the same way as you have your HM-2 do roughly the same thing?
Don't hate on me for the MT-2, just have it kicking around and maybe i could put it to use?
^^It's worth a try. Though when I first bought my 6505+, I still had an MT-2 and tried it as a boost up front and through the clean channel. It sounded like absolute garbage both ways -- just like it did through my older amp. I never tried it in the loop though. I would try it and see what you think. Gain on the pedal has to be at or very near zero though. The HM-2 and MetalZone are very, very different pedals.

I don't know why my method with the HM-2 works -- but it does -- at least through a 6505. It maintains the tightness of the 6505's lead channel but adds in the thickness and "chainsaw" overtones found in all the old Swedish death metal records.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by MattBrockway
I am powering it with a boss adapter that came with it. But upon further inspection the 12v adapter input is a little bit loose. would this be the cause of it? And it's not an acoustic, its a Humbucker From Hell, love that thing! I'm going guitar ---> pedal ---> bass amp in the video but it sounds the same through my guitar amp.

Could be the cause. The adapter has to be a 12V adapter (Boss ACA), not a 9V (Boss PSA) one. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's easy to mod the pedal to run at 9V, because its internal circuitry runs at 9V anyway and there's just a resistor/diode network to step down the voltage.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by KailM
^^It's worth a try. Though when I first bought my 6505+, I still had an MT-2 and tried it as a boost up front and through the clean channel. It sounded like absolute garbage both ways -- just like it did through my older amp. I never tried it in the loop though. I would try it and see what you think. Gain on the pedal has to be at or very near zero though. The HM-2 and MetalZone are very, very different pedals.

I don't know why my method with the HM-2 works -- but it does -- at least through a 6505. It maintains the tightness of the 6505's lead channel but adds in the thickness and "chainsaw" overtones found in all the old Swedish death metal records.

ofc, with those, putting gain anything above 0 or 0.1 is stupid (unless you're going for really weird tones)
but thanks, wasn't sure how similar the pedals were.