Poll Options
View poll results: Would you?
No
10 31%
Yes
16 50%
Yes, but largely because of the money.
3 9%
I already own a business being a pimp for illegal Filipono women midgets.
3 9%
Voters: 32.
Was having a talk with my friends about this.

Friend of mine used to think it'd be a good idea owning an opticians and running it, but now he considers that it may be too much work. Hiring people, firing people, taxes, suppliers, marketing, all that in the hopes that you end up in a profit at the end of it all.

On one hand, I can imagine it to be rewarding IF IT WORKS OUT financially. However, whether it does or not, you're gonna have the business floating over your head all the time, upon waking up until going to bed with possibly very long hours.

Quite honestly, I think if I would earn enough money (key word being enough) with a job and be able to look forward on me time after work, I'd be pretty happy. Sure, more money is always nice, but I fear a business would be overwhelming.

So what does the Pit say?
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 27, 2014,
It totally depends on what the business does.

Next question
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nah I wouldn't. First off I'd get sued by like the first week, second I'm too lazy, third I'd get sued by the third week
Absolutely not, unless it was entirely online.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

ADD incarnate

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
ADD incarnate

Was it phil that wanted an online business?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
One could make a pretty good business out of closing Phillip's threads.

Edit- Seriously though, with the work I do, it's a lot easier to work for someone else.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Mar 27, 2014,
My entire family runs businesses, it is a lot of work and super stressful but I'd like to get into it.
I think I would definitely be capable, but I somehow think I'll be happier when I don't have to stress about my own firm all the time.
i wouldn't run a business for the sake of running a business, i'd be running it because there was something i really wanted to do or make but couldn't find anybody to pay me for it
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I'd run a business, yeah, right into the ground.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I want to own a petstore, but insted of pets are there prostitutes for sale. And i wouldnt be a manager, but a pimp.
Quote by Malchius
What about the eBay shop Philip's PerSPECtive I told you to start?

Quote by Xiaoxi
ADD incarnate

Hell Yea. I haven't worked for someone else in 6 years. When I was 18 I was already starting to write business plans (they were very terrible then). Heck even the damn consignment shops you can start up with about 5 grand (which is nothing for a startup) are averaging around 40-55 grand a year all over the USA.

Nothing like doing things YOUR way.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 27, 2014,
I'm the manager of a retail store, which obviously isn't a very close comparison, but I'm in charge of everything but ordering new stock and balancing finances. I'd imagine those are huge parts of the business, but doing everything else isn't that big of a deal. I only turned 18 less than 2 months ago, and I'm finding it pretty easy.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by Malchius
What about the eBay shop Philip's PerSPECtive I told you to start?

I'm on it man, I'm on it.

Quote by Xiaoxi
ADD incarnate

Come on, maaaan. This is totally related.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by BledGhostWhite
I'm the manager of a retail store, which obviously isn't a very close comparison, but I'm in charge of everything but ordering new stock and balancing finances. I'd imagine those are huge parts of the business, but doing everything else isn't that big of a deal. I only turned 18 less than 2 months ago, and I'm finding it pretty easy.

Cool.Do you have a office? Do you have combover and yell " you are fired!" If they screwup?
do you take office supplies with you home?
People in my family have very successful businesses. Business defines their life and occupies most hours of their day. I personally think they are sick.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
People in my family have very successful businesses. Business defines their life and occupies most hours of their day. I personally think they are sick.

Why?
Probably not on my own no, and not if I wasn't confident there was a good target market out there.
For the first few years you'll be putting in tons of hours, more than an average job, in order to sort out the funding, purchasing, forms, taxes, insurance, health and safety and shit loads of admin. I would think that running a retail business would be a lot harder than a consulting/service company.

If I was better at making jewellery or home made beauty products, I would probably consider selling online. But I'm not passionate about anything enough right now to make money from it.

I know the directors at my workplace used to work 7 days a week to try and build a client base, when they started up the business 30 years ago, they're only in recent years been able to cut down to 4 days a week. That could be because of the industry they're in, because we did have an employee who tried to set up his own business in our industry and found out after a month that he couldn't cover his overheads when he had a vehicle to run and stock to buy whilst remaining competitive.

In short, if you can't offer a better service or product than a larger, existing company can provide and remain competitive, it's you're likely going to struggle.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Mar 27, 2014,
you'd have to be prepared to lead a shitty life for probably at least a couple years. usually that'll involve tons of work to get your business off the ground, low income, etc.
Quote by progdude93
you'd have to be prepared to lead a shitty life for probably at least a couple years. usually that'll involve tons of work to get your business off the ground, low income, etc.

My grandma ran her own business from her 20s to her 80s. And "raised" three kids in the process. Wasn't easy for sure, but she managed it successfully, but her kids suffered from it cuz she didn't take the time to be a good mother. So I dunno if it's worth it in the long run.
Owning an opticians could be a good idea, but i can't really see it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
I always wanted to start a company that organized marathons, I just don't think I would be good enough to run it very well.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
I do own a business and have for a long time. Yep it's a lot of work and there is risk involved but controlling your own destiny is pretty sweet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY