Page 1 of 2
Hey guys!

I need a new phone and I'd like a smartphone.. you know all that facebook stuff, internet, snapchat all them cool stuff now. But my main focus is on music... With my phone I mainly listen to music other than phoning/texting and sitting on facebook all the time.

So which phone do you guys recommend? These are my priorities:

- Obviously media player which has playlists and can sort by artists, albums etc. and EQ possibilities and that.. (I'm pretty positive every phone has this xD)

- BATTERY which can last long enough so I don't have to charge it twice a day. I need a phone which can get through about 12 hours of using it and not get out of charge in the mean time. Charging every night is not too bad, but it should hopefully last around 2/3 days..? (oh them days when phones would last weeks)

- STORAGE! I want my phone to hold a decent amount of apps and some pictures without me worrying about the memory. For music I can get a 16gb memory card or something.

Alternatively.. I could just get a new iPod (last one broke) and put up with this crappy Wildfire for some longer.. but a new phone would be so great.

Thanks guys!
Quote by Wormholes
Any smartphone made within the last five years.

Fo real. And GL finding a phone that'll last without charging for a couple days.
Sail upon the open skies
Personally I use iTunes on my computer to manage my music so one of the main reasons I use iPhone is it's obvious compatibility with iTunes. I know you can use iTunes and Android phones but I think you need third party apps and it all sounds like a big hassle.

Also I know it's uncool to buy music off iTunes, but the ability to do so on the iPhone/iTunes on the go is something I value a lot.

I'm sure you could go somewhere else/do more work to get better sounding/cheaper music, but for me the convenience of iTunes/iPhone wins out.

EDIT: I suppose the cons of using an iPhone for music are that you can't download music illegally with it AFAIK and there's no manual equalizer.

It'd be cool if some company made a smartphone with primarily music in mind, kind of like Nokia and cameras.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by angusfan16
Fo real. And GL finding a phone that'll last without charging for a couple days.

Galaxy note 2. The 3 is great as well but I think the 2 might have better battery life. Pretty much any phablet will work though, if you can handle the screen size.

Edit: Also if the built-in eq isn't good enough check out power amp. If you like using tunes on your phoneto transcribe songs check out asc an android exclusive app for slowing songs down. They previously had a pro version where you could change the pitch as wwell but Idk where that went. You can also export the files you slow down /speed up.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 at Mar 27, 2014,
Quote by brandon2784
Galaxy note 2. The 3 is great as well but I think the 2 might have better battery life. Pretty much any phablet will work though, if you can handle the screen size.

It does seem like the Galaxy Note phones have crazy long battery life.

EDIT: They also have expandable memory and (I assume) many options in the play store for music playback. This might be TS' best bet.
I don't trust apple with phones... I don't want an iPhone;/

I had a look at Nokia Lumia 520 though? My friend says it lasts long and it has 6 or 8 gb memory that sounds okay?

Come on guys be more positive! xD
All of the bold text in the OP really hurt my eyes

That's all I can offer. May God guide you in your quest.
Quote by Carl LOG

I had a look at Nokia Lumia 520 though? My friend says it lasts long and it has 6 or 8 gb memory that sounds okay?

6 or 8GB of memory will get you absolutely nowhere, especially if you want photos, apps AND music

16GB would be a minimum, 32 recommended. Expandable storage would be best, like the Notes mentioned above.
Quote by Carl LOG

Lol Nokia. Take a look at the Xperia Z2.
I had a look at HTC One (the new m8) but its too expensive atm.. unless the older versions are affordable and still good? hint me?

with galaxy note.. the size might be a bummer but it sounds pretty convincing.. definite option!
Quote by TheChaz
Lol Nokia. Take a look at the Xperia Z2.

Oh yeah what about the older xperias!? completely forgot about them? are they good?
Quote by Nickpocalypse
6 or 8GB of memory will get you absolutely nowhere, especially if you want photos, apps AND music

16GB would be a minimum, 32 recommended. Expandable storage would be best, like the Notes mentioned above.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't save apps to an SD card either.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by Carl LOG
Oh yeah what about the older xperias!? completely forgot about them? are they good?

No.
isn't 8ish gb enough for apps? (pictures and music would go on a 16gb card most probably)
Quote by Carl LOG

I just got a Lumia 520, it lasts long, it was cheap, very durable and can handle up to a 32GB micro SD.

It is a Windows phone so the apps aren't as good Android or iOS.
Quote by brandon2784

Yeah 3's battery life is absolute balls. Not sure how 2 handles, but i upgraded to the 4 not too long ago and it's battery lasts a lot longer. Heard good things about Note 2, but aye it is a big phone.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Malchius
I just got a Lumia 520, it lasts long, it was cheap, very durable and can handle up to a 32GB micro SD.

It is a Windows phone so the apps aren't as good Android or iOS.

oh I didn't realize it was a Windows phone... but still I don't hate windows.. would prefer android though if possible.. but that phone still sounds the best one for me so far tbh
Quote by Carl LOG
oh I didn't realize it was a Windows phone... but still I don't hate windows.. would prefer android though if possible.. but that phone still sounds the best one for me so far tbh

It'll be great if you want a really bad phone.
Quote by TheChaz
It'll be great if you want a really bad phone.

and why is that?
just get an mp3 player you mong
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by kimberlydawn
HTC1 is good

This.

I have a HTC1 32gb and is great for music sound quality and there's slot for external storage. It is quite bass heavy especially with the supplied headphones so if you don't like the dre beats music equalizer system then go for something else.

Another plus is they don't have to be installed on your computer, you can just plug it in and drag and drop what you want, music, pictures, pdf files etc.

It is quite expensive though, so I'd wait a few months until the new m8 comes out if you really want one and get it a bit cheaper.

The screen res is also amazing, it's v quick and has a really nice interface with a news reel and so on, plus it's ridiculously thin.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by Carl LOG
and why is that?

1. It's a Windows phone.
2. Its hardware is three years old.
ProgFripp74

that sonuds brilliant but id have to wait.. I'll think about it but I'm not looking for the most amazing phone I just want a phone to do what I want it to do and that's not being super fast and have an amazing resolution.. get what I mean?:P

Chaz

I agree with the windows part it's not the best..
but 3 year old hardware doesnt neccesarily be bad.. as long as it does whatever i ask it to i couldn't care less if it's not as fast as the new HTC One xD as long as it's not really faulty
Quote by brandon2784
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't save apps to an SD card either.

On Android you can but not directly on install, you have to do it through the application manager. Stupid really.

But yeah, to be honest any decent smartphone will be ok. Most people don't use the default player either and choose to download a different one. I use Rocket Player, theres a free version but I have the paid version as it comes with a much more customisable EQ and a volume booster as the default volume limit is quite low, which I think is a legal thing. You can go into the phones system via rooting to increase it but fukdatshit lol.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Mar 27, 2014,
I don't think any phone has a good AD/DA-converter. I think (but I'm not sure) an iPod has a better, since they're focussed on music and not on other stuff.

But if you listen to music with $15 earbuds you just need a phone with a long lasting battery because every phone has the other specifications you want.
Quote by MaXiMuse
I don't think any phone has a good AD/DA-converter. I think (but I'm not sure) an iPod has a better, since they're focussed on music and not on other stuff.

But if you listen to music with $15 earbuds you just need a phone with a long lasting battery because every phone has the other specifications you want.

Do not offend me sir! I do not use $15 earbuds! I use my £60 headphones (not the best but they are decent hahah)
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Personally I use iTunes on my computer to manage my music so one of the main reasons I use iPhone is it's obvious compatibility with iTunes. I know you can use iTunes and Android phones but I think you need third party apps and it all sounds like a big hassle.

Also I know it's uncool to buy music off iTunes, but the ability to do so on the iPhone/iTunes on the go is something I value a lot.

I'm sure you could go somewhere else/do more work to get better sounding/cheaper music, but for me the convenience of iTunes/iPhone wins out.

EDIT: I suppose the cons of using an iPhone for music are that you can't download music illegally with it AFAIK and there's no manual equalizer.

It'd be cool if some company made a smartphone with primarily music in mind, kind of like Nokia and cameras.

You say this like iTunes is the only music program for computers, or at least one of the best, which it's not. As someone with an Android phone, I can inform you that the "play store" (equivalent of itunes and the app store) on them are completely functional and have all kinds of music to buy if you are one of those people that buys digital music downloads.

It's really not any more convenient to use iPhones and iTunes etc. it may just seem that way because you are used to them.

Also, android has an app through google you can get called "Play Music" which syncs your music library on your computer to an online google server, making 100's of gb of music accessible via streaming on your phone at any time, much past the memory capacity of the phone if you were just loading the songs onto the phone. Seems like a similar concept to apple's "cloud" but I'm not too familiar with how the cloud works.

And finally, you definitely can get illegally downloaded music on iphones and ipods.... just saying....

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
You say this like iTunes is the only music program for computers, or at least one of the best, which it's not. As someone with an Android phone, I can inform you that the "play store" (equivalent of itunes and the app store) on them are completely functional and have all kinds of music to buy if you are one of those people that buys digital music downloads.

It's really not any more convenient to use iPhones and iTunes etc. it may just seem that way because you are used to them.

Also, android has an app through google you can get called "Play Music" which syncs your music library on your computer to an online google server, making 100's of gb of music accessible via streaming on your phone at any time, much past the memory capacity of the phone if you were just loading the songs onto the phone. Seems like a similar concept to apple's "cloud" but I'm not too familiar with how the cloud works.

And finally, you definitely can get illegally downloaded music on iphones and ipods.... just saying....

I started off by saying "Personally, I use iTunes..." so I was just sharing my experience with TS. I admit that somehow I did forget you can buy music from the Play Store, so I concede that.

I would never deny this is the case. Again I was just sharing my personal experience.

This is cool, iTunes Match effectively does the same sort of thing but there's a subscription fee.

I know you can *put* illegally downloaded music on iPhones and iPods, I didn't know there was a way to *download* songs this way directly on the iPhone.
Ah, I completely misunderstood. mmm, you could probably download zip files on your phone's browser and open and save them. not sure other than that. then there are free apps like grooveshark that allow you to stream any music from their library for free (i'm sure there's an itunes version). not sure if there's a limit on it, i think they sell a plus edition that costs money. Play Music also has a plus version but the free version allows some obscene amount of music like 25k songs so there's really no point in upgrading.

Just get a 32gb nexus 4

Now that the five is out you can get a used one very cheap. Plus it has great specs for the price and will get fast OS updates until at least later this year.

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

I have an Iphone 5S and I love it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
the galaxy note 3 have a tube amp effect a studio reverb theater reverb and concert hall reverb i think its good

battery life : all smart phones suck at this
if they try to give you a huawei
kick your phone company in the dick
this house is bitchin
I just got my HTC One a couple of weeks ago. it has 2 speakers. 1 on the top and 1 on the bottom. the quality is good and it goes pretty loud. also there's loads of music player apps that give you all the options you need.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by captaincrunk
yeah just get a new ipod or whatever phones don't last that long without charge anymore
Phones don't last long anymore period.

As conspiracy-nut as this sounds I wouldn't be surprised if with every software update new code is implemented to slow programs down and induce errors so you're forced to buy a new one (which they offer you a discount for if you buy the same model and provider).

Same with PCs: anything made by HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. that's made with proprietary parts, special proprietary versions of Windows, and only made to last a certain period of time before you are forced to buy a new one.

Yes, even if you clean the disk from junk frequently. My custom-build was the only PC I've ever owned (and still own) where running routine cleans/scans/defrags/etc. made a noticable difference in performance.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Phones don't last long anymore period.

As conspiracy-nut as this sounds I wouldn't be surprised if with every software update new code is implemented to slow programs down and induce errors so you're forced to buy a new one (which they offer you a discount for if you buy the same model and provider).

Same with PCs: anything made by HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc. that's made with proprietary parts, special proprietary versions of Windows, and only made to last a certain period of time before you are forced to buy a new one.

Yes, even if you clean the disk from junk frequently. My custom-build was the only PC I've ever owned (and still own) where running routine cleans/scans/defrags/etc. made a noticable difference in performance.

I absolutely cannot argue with this comment.
Page 1 of 2