Page 5 of 93
Quote by Fisheth24
Will that effect the finish on the back of the neck?

No. Not with a poly finish at least.

The main problem is actually getting the steam inside the dent itself, because the layer of finish on top of the dent itself might prevent the steam from passing through it. In that case, you'll need to chip the finish on top of the dent off, steam the dent itself out, and refill the dent with a bit of black lacquer and then a bit of clear lacquer.

It won't look completely flawless, but it'll certainly look and feel better than it did.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Erm... isn't that moreso for raw woods? I can imagine you wrecking a guitar finish pretty quick that way if you don't know what you're doing.

Which is why you chip the finish on top of the dent off before you steam the dent out. The swelling of the wood will not damage the wood itself so long as you leave it to dry afterwards.

You could put a bit of bondo putty on top of the dent, but actually steaming the dent out is the method pro guitar luthiers actually use to repair dent damage.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2014,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Erm... isn't that moreso for raw woods? I can imagine you wrecking a guitar finish pretty quick that way if you don't know what you're doing.

I mean, if the dent is a huge deal why not just fill it with a filler?

Cause I'm useless and wouldn't want to make it worse
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYqSdH8Ggo

I know this guy's guitar neck has a tung oil finish on it, but it really gets across how effective and fast you can fix such a problem. It might even be worth trying this without chipping any finish away.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYqSdH8Ggo

I know this guy's guitar neck has a tung oil finish on it, but it really gets across how effective and fast you can fix such a problem. It might even be worth trying this without chipping any finish away.

Nah the dents deeper than that, plus I've got some form of satin on the back? Got no iddea if that changes anything though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Nah the dents deeper than that, plus I've got some form of satin on the back? Got no iddea if that changes anything though.

it just means that you might have to steam it out more than once. Steam it, let it dry. Steam it, let it dry again.

Whether or not you should take the lacquer off the dent before steaming it out is up to you. I'd try to get away with not chipping the lacquer off first, but if that doesn't work, you might have to chip it off. If you were going to use a filler, you'd have to refinish the dent no matter what.

You can improvise a coloured lacquer by dripping a drop of black pen ink into the crack and sealing it with a drop of superglue. The pen ink works because the wood will absorb the colour, a bit like it would a stain. Most fillers won't be able to do that.

Then all you would need to do is take one of those green scotchbrite pads (the kind your mum uses to scrub off burnt-on food when she does the washing up) to smooth it out. Since your guitar has a satin-finished neck, the scratches in the superglue will be camouflaged with the rest of the neck.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2014,
Or you could just leave the ding alone and not risk wrecking your guitar more.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You would have to be a dolt to **** it up tbh.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You would have to be a dolt to **** it up tbh.

I don't disagree but not everybody is as adept or as experienced with that kind of stuff. That's why I don't recommend something like that because it could easily be fudged up and now you'll probably have a bigger problem to fix.

If they ask how to do it, it's one thing...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
$700 is a ripoff for that guitar.

yeah I know, there were other ones on ebay for much better prices, I just linked to that one because it had the nicest pic.

banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Apr 6, 2014,

edit holy crap it still has the plastic on the pick ups.

and trust me, nobody at deviser left that bridge on backwards.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 6, 2014,
Yum!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
you should have seen the alpine white Flying V Custom i linked at mlp for $860. it's sold and i linked it 2 hours ago.

shit if i can find a pic, the thing was secks.
Wasn't that the new price of one of those, like the Faded V's? Or am I wrong?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
That's too steep. Unless the guitar is utterly immaculate, but even then, £800 is just too much money.
Quote by Fisheth24
Wasn't that the new price of one of those, like the Faded V's? Or am I wrong?

The faded V's were about £720 new.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2014,
Ok, thx guys.
Just bought another SS so the explorer will have to wait. Think I'll explore the Japanese option when I do.
Figured I'd ask here because someone would probably know; is there anything that fits the description of a Rhoads style offset V but with more rounded traditional ends?

I love the **** out of my RR5 but I'd like to have something with a bit more traditional look to it. I recently got a chance to spend some time with an actual Flying V, but found the balance of the body to feel a little off, and the 24" scale too short.

I mean, I'm not ever going to sell the Jackson, but I'd like something that won't put the bassist's eye out on a small stage
Quote by Ali-b912
Figured I'd ask here because someone would probably know; is there anything that fits the description of a Rhoads style offset V but with more rounded traditional ends?

I love the **** out of my RR5 but I'd like to have something with a bit more traditional look to it. I recently got a chance to spend some time with an actual Flying V, but found the balance of the body to feel a little off, and the 24" scale too short.

I mean, I'm not ever going to sell the Jackson, but I'd like something that won't put the bassist's eye out on a small stage

Just tell him to move over a bit.
Im sure he'll get the point.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
All these lovely guitars I have no money for
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
http://imageshack.com/a/img69/1492/dsc02560jq.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img715/3723/dsc02565z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img834/9268/dsc02549vx.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/5499/dsc02551m.jpg

Woo, the LTD is my main guitar, BKP warpigs with coil split neck and newly installed dual pot for individual PU volume controls.

18v mod on the epi! Wish to hell I went for the other versino of the futura with a TOM instead. I blocked the floyd cos i hate it and never use it.

WTB that black Gibson V at the start with white pick guard, that for me is one of the best looking guitars made.
Hey guys! Picking up and 1997 Epiphone 58 Korina Explorer Reissue. Pics to come. Thoughts on hese guitars? I'm trading a 94 MIM Fender Telecaster for it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I found out I hat a Jackson in my possession that I forgot about (It's beaten up unfortunately, pics when I get back from rehearsal tonight though)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I found out I have a Jackson in my possession that I forgot about (It's beaten up unfortunately, pics when I get back from rehearsal tonight though)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by TheStig1214
Hey guys! Picking up and 1997 Epiphone 58 Korina Explorer Reissue. Pics to come. Thoughts on hese guitars? I'm trading a 94 MIM Fender Telecaster for it.

seems a fair trade. congrats! post some pics.
Quote by gregs1020
seems a fair trade. congrats! post some pics.

Wish I could. But the guy flaked last second
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Wish I could. But the guy flaked last second

Booo

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
He came back at me! But I also may have a deal for $275. I think I'd rather have cash
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Ali-b912

Yeah -- the OLD version of the Carvin Ultra V. The original model was an offset V with rounded ends, but soon gave way to a pointier rendition that was discontinued for a while and then revived several years ago.

The current version:

Carvin does a nice job on these...

It would take a bit of chasing down, but the older versions DO show up now and again. The older versions are glued neck (but with a smooth neck heel), while the newest versions are neck-through. Most of the old version guitars will have the "arrowhead" style headstock, but any of the current Carvin headstocks can appear on the newer versions.

Curiously, the V220 shares the offset-but-rounded bottom body shape of the old Ultra V. It, too, was supplanted by a pointier version (the X220), but when it came time to reissue the guitar, it was the more rounded shape that won out.

My old clunker ('80's), with a Kahler and arrowhead headstock, MOP inlays, ebony board, set neck in pearl white:

New version (now neck-through) in koa:

The neck heels are all smooth and comfy for all models:

Last edited by dspellman at Apr 10, 2014,
Quote by Carrot
Just tell him to move over a bit.
Im sure he'll get the point.

That was terrible and you know it!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
About a year ago maybe a Gibson Faded V popped up on my local Craigslist. I started a thread on here asking about what it was like to play one and just to get some general info, and got some encouraging comments. I called the guy and made an appointment to go to his house and check it out. IMO it was very comfortable to sit down and play in a classical style, and it was a pleasure to play. Looked like it needed some fret work, but was otherwise in great shape. I passed on it because I though his asking price was a bit high and he wouldn't come down on it. A few days later he dropped the price on the ad, but by the time I saw it he had just sold it. I still think about that one and sometimes want to kick myself, but I really don't know how much play time it would have received. I still keep eyes open for good deals on Gibby V's and Explorers, at least to hang on the wall as a conversation piece. I think they just look so cool.

I would love that Dean V that has the Rust In Peace album cover on the front. That is freakin' epic. I have seen people online say that it is a pretty good player.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by Fisheth24
That was terrible and you know it!

As a father I'm allowed to make dad jokes

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Ah yeah, I already knew about these to some extent from one of the Judas Priest guys playing them at some point. I think I prefer the longer top, shorter bottom feel of the Rhoads personally. That said, they look awesome, especially your one with the Kahler.