A buddy of mine has both an Ampeg VH140C and Peavey Ultra Plus, both in good condition. He's asking for $460 for the Ampeg and $350 for the Peavey. I play in a fairly technical blackened death metal band and do some old school death metal and grind on the side. I know a decent amount about each of these amps but was just wondering what you all thought was the better deal and what would fit my personal needs/style better. I wish I could buy them both but sadly can afford only one at this particular juncture.

Thanks,

Pete
I, personally, really like those old solid state amps. It's so aggressive, so mean.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Oh tubes are awesome, its really the only way to go.

He wants way too much for the Ampeg, unless it comes with the matching cab?
You can find Peavey Ultra heads for $300 all day in the States, not positive but the VHT can be had for similar. They have a good rep around here for being good cheap amplifiers for metal, but I'd haggle him a little.
Yeah I would try and work him down, for what you are doing the VH could work, but I'd think the Ultra would be better for your Blackened Death project, unless you really want to cop that old school sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
he is asking too much IMO. but again i only know my market area (Florida) and yours may be very different

haven't seen 311 in a while but find something he posted and look at the "cool look up" and type in and you will see a lot of just about anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You've heard both amps, yes? Well, which one do you think sounds better for what you are doing? They are very different sounding amps, surely you are in the best position to pick the one best for your "personal needs/style". Both are capable gigging amps, for tone, that's your decision.

But it sounds like you aint getting such a good deal anyway. Try 311's lookup thingy and widen your search. If you can tell us which of those two amps above has the closest sound to what you need and in what way you'd like it improved, I'm sure we could help you out with alternative possibilities.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know much about the Ampeg. I had the Peavey Ultra in the past. They're absolutely great amps. I don't know if it'll have enough gain for death metal though. I didn't see if you said you were using a boost or not. With EMG 81's I was able to get a nice Metallica type gain out of it.
Personally, I think the Ampeg would be the one to go for if you want those tones... but he's asking too much for it, so I'd opt for the Peavey if those were my only choices. The Ampeg can be had for ~$250-300, if you know where to look. Also, search for the SS-150 and the Crate GX-130C, all 3 are essentially the same amp, the VH-140C just tends to command the more premium price for some reason.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
TS if you can find a Randall Warhead, that's that early Decapitated sound. I want one. I want lots of budget solid state amps but that's because its the sound I grew up on.

The point of these amps is they're cheap and bullet proof... mean too... I wouldn't spend over $300 on any one, anywhere though.
Definitely the Ampeg out of those two for the tones you want. No question.

Maybe if it was a regular Ultra, there would be some debate, but the Ampeg crushes the Ultra Plus for grindy ass brootz.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've never seen a VH140C in my area for under 400 so I'll probably go for that. The Peavey Ultras seem like they're easier to find, so maybe I'll pick one up next paycheck.

Be excellent to each other,

Pete