I'll start with the info that's needed....

Current Gear: pacifica 112 > digitech rp250 > peavey rage 158
Budget: ~£300.... Very max £500 but would like to keep it under this.
New or Used: new
Styles of music you play: blues/classic rock.
99.9% of time used as a home practice amp

So I'm looking to upgrade my full rig over the next year or so and want to start with the amp. I'm not looking for all the bells n whistles just a basic amp with a nice blues overdrive (hendrix style) I would also be putting a simple pedal board in front of the amp for fuzz, od, delay, reverb.

There are so many options I'm driving myself crazy trying to find 'the best' amp for my needs, please help.

So the question is... In my situation what amps would you be looking at? And why?
Last edited by Richie_82 at Mar 27, 2014,
With that budget new could be tough... How much would a Marshall Class 5 run you there? Great little amp, it would do what you want well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Richie_82
I think the class 5 is ~£520 so it's over my comfort zone.

That is really expensive, they don't cost that in the USA new. You might be mistaken on the price, check one out and see
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Remember that amps are just tools for making music. Don't over-think it and try to find the one perfect "golden fleece" amp cause there are no perfect amps. They all got warts. Buy used and plan to keep it at least 1 year. If you bond with it, keep it longer.

Marshall Class 5
Laney
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox AC 15
Fender Champ

These are all solid amps that are gig quality and have been used in seminal recordings with great guitar tone. Pick one and get to know it a bit. If you don't find your sound, sell it and try another one. Life is short. So many guitar amps, so little time. I've been through about 25 amps so far but one of the early ones is still with me. Enjoy the ride.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the replys guys, i appreciate it.

Quote by Robbgnarly
That is really expensive, they don't cost that in the USA new. You might be mistaken on the price, check one out and see

class 5 £538.99
class 5 £599.00
class 5 £539.00

I thought it was a bit high as well since the Vox ac4c1 is under £250... and the Vox ac15c1 is ~£450.. Fender blues jnr 3 ~£450.

Cajundaddy
Great advice, i`m guilty of searching for "the best amp" and i know its not possible... as you say soo many amps too little time, thanks for the list i`ll check them out.

Quote by bluestratplayer

Wow, such a great price... but my concern is that it`s too big/loud for bedroom use. Am i right in thinking i can put an OD pedal infront of it for the breakup but keep the master volume down for neighbor friendly playing?
Yeah, you can turn it down. You just get the dirt from the preamp. And if you ever do want to jam with a drummer, you're set to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It has a master volume for a reason. You can put an od in front to tighten it up sure. As far as volume, it will sound fine at bedroom levels and you have more than enough power if you want to gig or jam.

Edit; Damn aussie ninjas are out
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Guitar Center had that same one going for a stoopidly small price a few weeks ago too, didn't they? Hmmm...... I smell the aroma of overproduction. Jump on it, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Don't you just love when supply exceeds demand

Edit: Still wonder why Jet City doesn't seem to have taken off really. Is it the aesthetics or lack of marketing? I know their tone is there and the price is nice so just can't figure it out. Oh well, better buy them before they catch on
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Mar 28, 2014,
It was MF, they had the 5012c which is the 50 watt head in a 1x12, the 5212 is soposedly based on the Lucky 13 so it is a mid-gain amp

They were $299 I think now back to $700
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's the Lucky 13 one? Even better.

TS, if you don't buy that amp you're a dumbass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's the Lucky 13 one? Even better.

TS, if you don't buy that amp you're a dumbass.

Opinions running wild at UG! Actually several posters have said they like the JC. I can honestly say I have never seen or heard one so I have no opinion on it. Probably worth a look if Cath likes it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Damn aussie ninjas are out

Song title!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!