Ok here's the deal. I have been recording through my focusrite 18i8 which is great and I love the sounds that I am getting! BUT I have a bit of a problem. I am looking to record my band this summer and I think that I will be needing more then the 4 inputs on the scarlet. I am looking for recommendations for external pre's 2-8 channels (looking for decent quality here. I would rather go a bit higher quality and only get 2-4 inputs ) I plan on recording drums and bass in 1 go, 4 mics on drums and either 1 mic or direct for bass. Might do rhythm guitar at the same time as possible as well. so I will need at least 2 more inputs.

Pre-amps that i have looked at so far are.

Focusrite isa 1 (getting 2 used ones for $600ish) or 1 isa two.
Focusrite mkii (not sure about the quality on this one )

any opinions/other options would be great as I do not have alot of knowledge in this department!
Well yer you can't go wrong with the focusrite stuff, particularly if your not wanting to spend tonnes of money!
I have the 18i20 and plan on incorporating the OctoPre MkII Dynamic when i need it.
The ISAs are very good pres. The Octopres are also very good for the money.

What is your maximum for budget? There are probably more options worth looking at!
Kinda depends on what your budget is, y' know.
You could get a couple alesis mictube duo or a couple summit tpa-200b.
Realistically though, you could get a couple (or two couples) presonus bluetube dp-v2, a couple (whatever) cloudifiers cl-2 if you don't need phantom powering, or the 2 used ISAs.

I wouldn't get the octopre, it packs some features that you don't need and you wouldn't be using but you would be paying for.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
As of right now I was looking at around $600-$800 for budget it would always be nice to spend less as well. I could probably go up a bit as well but would rather stay in that price range. Also I do not need to buy right away as I will not be recording the drums for at least a month possibly a bit more.
I'd get the two ISA one's plus all the used MicTube duo's you can find.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

I wouldn't get the octopre, it packs some features that you don't need and you wouldn't be using but you would be paying for.

No one ever uses compression.
Quote by kahleesi
No one ever uses compression.
I was talking about the DACs and ADCs.
He doesn't need them since he already has an audio interface, he only needs pre's.
The standard octopre doesn't have the dynamics processing, and the processors found in the other octopre aren't good sounding enough to be preferred to any in the box plugin compressor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Soooo... Should I go with the octrepre (not dynamic) or something else?
How about Allen and Heath Mix Wizard, I know some of these used can be had for around $400-$600, here's the one I mean brand new, you can probably use the insert sends to the audio card.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALL-WZ3162DX-LIST

Presonus Digimax might be cheaper way to do it, I believe they have ADAT and analog out for each channel:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PreSonus-DigiMAX-D8-8-channel-Microphone-Preamp-Mic-Studio-Premplifier-ADAT-/171280191128?pt=US_Preamps_Channel_Strips&hash=item27e1184e98

The Presonus FP10 or Firepod also could function as 8 in/out analog preamps when not connected via firewire (I have Firepod which does, I think the FP10 does also but might need to check). Very cheap second hand and the pres are decent:
http://www.presonus.com/products/FP10