Hey guys - I wanted some advice on the following. I've recently decided to switch hands in my guitar playing, from left to right. The main reason is so I can pick up any guitar and play it, rather than playing upside down or sourcing incredibly rare (where I am anyway) LH guitars.

I've been playing guitar for close to 10 years now, so I'm no slouch, but I'm basically wanting some advice on how to get back to the basics... basically. Just wondering what some techniques I could use for re-learning how to position my fretting hand, and picking/strumming and hand position techniques for my right hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys; I'm spending a good couple of hours a day just dry fretting and strumming hoping it will give some rhythm to my right hand movements, as I'm predominantly left-handed.
Are you ambidextrous to begin with? If not you could go about your day like you were. Use your non-dominate right to open doors, pick things up. I found that being ambidextrous helps me switch handedness for more important things like guitar playing. For instance, I'm left-handed and I learned to play a right handed guitar.
I'm pretty much completely NOT ambidextrous; I rely almost completely on my left side. It sucks as well because I recently dislocated my left shoulder, and my instinct/muscle memory is to immediately react or do things with my left hand.

I do play baseball/cricket and golf with a right-handed stance though, so that's a bit strange. Your idea is good though, I also read a thing about practice writing the alphabet or a few familiar words everyday with my right hand will help build up some ambidexterity.

I'm going to keep continuing with the guitar as well, and hopefully I can drum it into myself before too long
You mentioned, "drum it into yourself." Drumming is great for ambidexterity. I used to play percussion in my early teens. I also believe this built up my ambidextrous nature. Try it out when you get better.
Quote by Ezuma
Hey guys - I wanted some advice on the following. I've recently decided to switch hands in my guitar playing, from left to right. The main reason is so I can pick up any guitar and play it, rather than playing upside down or sourcing incredibly rare (where I am anyway) LH guitars.

I've been playing guitar for close to 10 years now, so I'm no slouch, but I'm basically wanting some advice on how to get back to the basics... basically. Just wondering what some techniques I could use for re-learning how to position my fretting hand, and picking/strumming and hand position techniques for my right hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys; I'm spending a good couple of hours a day just dry fretting and strumming hoping it will give some rhythm to my right hand movements, as I'm predominantly left-handed.

Learning to play upside down would be much more efficient, otherwise you're throwing away 10 years of practice. That's what Hendrix used to do when playing other people's guitars. See Eric Gales ( he's the master of upside down left handed playing)and Albert King if you need some inspiration.
^ Agree. There's a big opportunity cost here. Suppose it takes you two years to get pretty comfortable..well, I think you have to look where you would be in a parallel universe if you had continued honing your skills during that time.
Quote by se012101
^ Agree. There's a big opportunity cost here. Suppose it takes you two years to get pretty comfortable..well, I think you have to look where you would be in a parallel universe if you had continued honing your skills during that time.

Agreed 2x.

Coming from a lefty here, I know how you feel.
*goes to someones place*
*sees guitar* "yo man play a tune!"

10 years tho? F**k that. I'd keep all that skill, neverrrr will I go back to noobotry.
If you're not ambidextrous and you've already been playing for 10 years I'm not sure it's worth it. It's your call of course, and only you know how much time it'll take and how annoyed you are by the lack of left-handed guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?