Sounds easy?

Here's the hard part:

a must equal between 4 and 32
b must equal between 15 and 9999
c must equal between 1 and 50

The answer must be 5,000,001.

Go....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
10.0010021002andsomemorethatcalculatorwouldn'tshow
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Cianyx
are decimals allowed?

No, sorry!
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
No, sorry!

well shit.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by moody git
well shit.

Yep

Quote by Cianyx

The network where I work doesn'[t let me go there! (It usually blocks images too otherwise I'd ask for a screenshot)

Actually, I'm always kind of surprised it lets me get to UG forums, most other forums I use are blocked too - the network guys have the net pretty well locked down.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Cianyx

Wrong, because it has to have these rules as stated in OP

a must equal between 4 and 32
b must equal between 15 and 9999
c must equal between 1 and 50

For the record, that site says 5000001 = 3 x 47 x 35461
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

30 x 3546.1 x 47

happy?
Quote by Diamond Dave
30 x 3546.1 x 47

happy?

TS said no decimals

TBH I'm not sure if it's possible with the rules laid out by TS.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
32x6250x25=5,000,000

Is that not close enough?

EDIT 5,000,331 (21x7681x31)
Last edited by bass-fale47 at Mar 28, 2014,
if you trust my C programming skills (very little, tbh. i know how to use 'for' statements though) then you can safely conclude it isn't possible using those given numbers
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

It isn't wrong. Those are distinct prime factors. That is the only way you can write that number as a multiple of three other numbers. Those conditions are impossible to meet.

These kind of problems aren't "hard". All you need is the prime factorization of a number.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by bass-fale47
32x6250x25=5,000,000

Is that not close enough?

Already got a few examples for 5,000,000
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
TBH I'm not sure if it's possible with the rules laid out by TS.

Quote by MakinLattes
Those conditions are impossible to meet.

Quote by Dregen
if you trust my C programming skills (very little, tbh. i know how to use 'for' statements though) then you can safely conclude it isn't possible using those given numbers

You're most likely right. I've been experimenting with different options for a few days now & haven't found anything. My development team haven't found a way to replicate that result either. Asking the internet was a bit of a final resort to try & beat my team! I had no idea if it's possible or not.

The thing is, it's to test a requirement put on the software we're developing that the maximum result allowed is 5,000,000. It copes with that OK, it copes with numbers significantly higher (like bass-fale47's other option provided), but for an accurate test we should attempt a run of 5,000,001 to prove it fails.

As it isn't possible I'll just have to cover it in my project report
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by GaryBillington
Already got a few examples for 5,000,000

You're most likely right. I've been experimenting with different options for a few days now & haven't found anything. My development team haven't found a way to replicate that result either. Asking the internet was a bit of a final resort to try & beat my team! I had no idea if it's possible or not.

The thing is, it's to test a requirement put on the software we're developing that the maximum result allowed is 5,000,000. It copes with that OK, it copes with numbers significantly higher (like bass-fale47's other option provided), but for an accurate test we should attempt a run of 5,000,001 to prove it fails.

As it isn't possible I'll just have to cover it in my project report

well, if this helps at all (once again, not a coder but it should work fine):

source code (fixed it):

results (tested after edit, same results):

if you have a program that can edit/compile/run code in C, you can just plug in your desired answer inside the 'if' statement. and for adjusting bounds of each variable: on its 'for' statement: first parameter is the lower bound, second parameter is the upper bound. should've used scanf but whatever i guess, it's been awhile.
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 28, 2014,
why is it "maths" if you are only asking about one kind

british grammar is really stupid like that

also "mathematics" is not a "plural" word since it is uncountable

and so the "s" at the end doesn't indicate a plural

therefore when abbreviated the "s" should not be at the end

it's just simple common sense which apparently the uk lacks
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

It's about maths, not language. go make a language thread if you feel the need to bitch about it.

Quote by MakinLattes
It isn't wrong. Those are distinct prime factors. That is the only way you can write that number as a multiple of three other numbers. Those conditions are impossible to meet.

These kind of problems aren't "hard". All you need is the prime factorization of a number.

I said it was wrong if you incorporate the rules as stated in the OP by TS... so yes, it was wrong. the answer should've been "Impossible"

If there were no rules it would be dead easy and some suggestions in this and TS, most likely, wouldn't have made the thread in the first place...
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
It's about maths, not language. go make a language thread if you feel the need to bitch about it.

I said it was wrong if you incorporate the rules as stated in the OP by TS... so yes, it was wrong. the answer should've been "Impossible"

If there were no rules it would be dead easy and some suggestions in this and TS, most likely, wouldn't have made the thread in the first place...

Very true - I'm sure someone in my team would have figured it out long before I started trying to beat them!

And in my opinion, the language "English (US)" only exists in Windows and is an insult to those of us who can spell correctly

@Dregen - will check what you've done at home, the images you've attached are blocked by my office network.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

Hey, I'm just saying. It makes no sense from a logical point to refer to it as "maths".

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Hey, I'm just saying. It makes no sense from a logical point to refer to it as "maths".

Yeah, so you're being irrelevant to the discussion, so why you are posting in this thread I'll never know
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
if abc = 5000001 then ab is a factor of 5000001

Factors of 500001 are 1, 3, 47, 141, 35461, 106383

So we can try ab = each of these in turn to see if there's a solution within the bounds specified in the OP

1 is too small
3, 47, 35461 are prime and so there's no integer solution for ab
141 = 3 * 47, but c would have to be > 9999
106383 = 3*35461, but 35461 is prime and > 9999

-> no integer solution.

If decimals were allowed there would be an infinite number of solutions.
I love it when I'm right. be right back going for a victory wank.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by theogonia777

Agreed.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I love it when I'm right. be right back going for a victory wank.

EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by MakinLattes

yah. didn't they teach you the fundamental theorem in school, gary? shit's been around since euclid.

ftr, 5,000,002 = 2x7x19x18797 = 7x38x1797 which fits your conditions just fine.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Just wrote a program to brute force this and it didn't give me anything. Is the answer no solution?

edit: nvm someone else did the same thing
69 x 666 x 420

lol
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
It's about maths, not language.

Right. Showing the irreducible factorization of the number demonstrates that the criteria set in the OP cannot be met, i.e. it is "impossible".
Last edited by MakinLattes at Mar 28, 2014,