Before I go balls deep into how frustrated im getting with this, here are a few pictures of what I'm dealing with at the moment.

Im using a 100% cotton polishing cloth (brand is carplan I think)
http://i60.tinypic.com/35hr0xe.jpg

I'm using T-cut original and T-cut rapid scratch remover (Mainly because of swirl removal)

http://i62.tinypic.com/c6x6w.jpg

And here is a close up to show the scratches on the guitar. (lighting makes it look better than it actually is)

http://i59.tinypic.com/ff9wrm.jpg

See, I never really taken much care of this guitar, I haven't been careless but it would definitely have less scratches if I looked after it properly. So I was told to look into wet sanding the guitar, and buff it up and it'll be good as new!

Well Im not have so much luck and I'm hoping someone could shed some light.

I've tried many different ways, circular motions, 1 direction only, criss-cross directions. Also I've always started at 1000 grit and then gradually worked up to 2000. Yet I'm always left with scratches, but now even more than there were previously and its got a dull shineless patch even after polish. (lighting makes it look better than it actually is)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ns6eec.jpg

It goes without saying I'm doing something wrong, but what D:. Do I need better polishing materials like 3m rubbing compound? Will a microfibre cloth do the job better than 100% cotton? Maybe I'm sanding too much or too little, or not putting enough force on my polishing technique?

I'd preferably like to resolve this without resorting to buffing wheels.

As you can see, I am ****ing clueless, and there are so many different techniques and tools people use I just can't make sense of it all.

I really want to get my ibanez back to a mirror shine, would sanding the lacquer off entirely and reapplying it be a better option as the guitar is covered in surface scatches.

Thank you for reading this far!
Last edited by Wingless18 at Mar 28, 2014,
Any reason you wet sanded an already finished, factory guitar?
It is going to be extremely difficult to get a perfect, swirl free finish by hand.
Also, scratch remover is still pretty harsh. You need swirl remover and then polish.
Wal mart has large random orbital buffers for like 30 bucks. Pick one of those up.
+1 on the bufffer and polish.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Any reason you wet sanded an already finished, factory guitar?
It is going to be extremely difficult to get a perfect, swirl free finish by hand.
Also, scratch remover is still pretty harsh. You need swirl remover and then polish.
Wal mart has large random orbital buffers for like 30 bucks. Pick one of those up.

I was told it was a good way to remove all the surface scatches, I knew it was a lot of work to go through, but I want to learn how to do this kind of stuff.

Any products you would recommend? I'll look into ordering one of those buffers then
I'm guessing if he's using T-Cut he's in the UK. I've used both those and decided that the Rapid Scratch Remover is probably overkill if you've already wet sanded with 2K grit.
Meguiar's should be available in Halfords - probably right next to the T-Cut.
Yeah I'm located in the UK, and I've been doing a bit of research today, trying to put a shopping list together

So i'ma get some Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner and Swirl Remover

A Cordless Drill. I was looking at the orbital buffers, but since the orbital buffers and the drills are near the same price range, i went with the drill as I figured it maybe helpful one day to put up a shelf or some shit :P.

and a couple of Buffing Pads - I've seen a few people on youtube use these sort of circle pads so i'll give them a shot.

Thanks for helping me out guys! Really appreciate it. Before I order them though, is there anything there you think I'm missing or something I shouldn't use? Don't want to waste more money on the wrong products :')