First of all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.. Couldn't seem to find other threads about this than in the pit.. Correct me if im wrong..

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for listening to high-quality music.. Not mp3 stuff on an ipod. I need high quality headphones, and the pricerange is £0- 200.

I hate techno, house, dj-music and stuff like that. I'll be listening to stuff like Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Mumford and Sons (Don't judge me ), The Band, Led Zep, Hendrix, The Who, Green Day, Aerosmith, Oasis, stuff like that... Not really any pop or "new" music. Mostly classic rock/rock/blues/folk..

I want the best possible sound quality in that price range, and i'm not just looking for something drenched in bass.. Best overall sound quality for listening to this kind of stuff.. I'm intending to use it with my pc, my electric piano, my guitar amp and the Pono Player i ordered... (i have jackstick converter stuff, so don't worry about that...)

I would prefer closed back, perhaps with noise-cancelling, but that isn't important. The sound quality is more important than anything-..

Again. sorry if this is the wrong subforum.

Marc,
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Sennheiser.... the only good thing the Germans made since Oktoberfest.

Also razer has a nice set of headphones (without mic) that is great, only it's bright green so you'd look silly on tha streetz
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Sennheiser.... the only good thing the Germans made since Oktoberfest.

I'd second the Sennheisers, but you are wrong about Germany: Rammstein and Heidi Klum.
Quote by MarcFlink

I hate techno, house, dj-music and stuff like that. I'll be listening to stuff like Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Beatles, Mumford and Sons (Don't judge me ), The Band, Led Zep, Hendrix, The Who, Green Day, Aerosmith, Oasis, stuff like that... Not really any pop or "new" music. Mostly classic rock/rock/blues/folk..

lol

and all that stuff sounds like shite anyway so it doesn't really matter
Quote by willT08
lol

and all that stuff sounds like shite anyway so it doesn't really matter

Right... Will, I don't think I want your advice on anything
Quote by derkym
I'd second the Sennheisers, but you are wrong about Germany: Rammstein and Heidi Klum.

You don't have very high standards of Germany, then.

I use Sennheiser HD380's, they are magnificent.

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/monitoring-headphone-studio-headphone-professional-audio-hd-380-pro
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Perhaps you could suggest a few more models? Sennheiser makes a huge amount of headphones, and just saying "Sennheiser" doesn't make it much easier to find a good model..
Quote by MarcFlink
Perhaps you could suggest a few more models? Sennheiser makes a huge amount of headphones, and just saying "Sennheiser" doesn't make it much easier to find a good model..
Find the most expensive model you can afford. Buy it.

Done.
Quote by MarcFlink

I didn't mention a type because they're all quality headphones. Regardless of the one you buy, they're going to sound just fine.

Most of the people walk around with this 1 though.... (check spoiler) well, the people I see wearing sennheiser headphones anyway.

My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Mar 28, 2014,
Lots of choices and very personal differences.

IEM, on-ear, over the ear, audiophile, studio reference? Audiophile headphones intentionally color the sound so it is "bigger than life". Studio reference tend to be flat response and more true to the recording.

Last year I was invited to a recording session in LA with Rob Hoffman engineering (Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson, Christina Aguilera). His critical listening headphones were the same ones I use: Sony MDR 7506. Worth a listen.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPrpjZDPtb0CFYqIfgodL00AJQ
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You can't go wrong with the Sony MDR 7506. If you're willing to put the cash down for it, the best I've ever heard (listened to just about everything at AES shows) are the Audio-Technica M50s. Comfy, powerful, clear, crisp.

Don't buy a brand just because it's the brand. I'd recommend listening first, actually understand what you're hearing and what you want.
Beats by Dre.... No I can't even, they're awful, avoid if you can.

Also avoid the stupid Skullcandy bollocks that people seemed to be so into way back then.

Honestly I suggest Sennheiser, even the lower budget headphones are really good.

If your budget can really stretch and I mean really stretch then have a look at B&O, they are very expensive, like seriously pricey though.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by derkym

This ^^

@OT If your looking for something to use on the road the momentum series are super sturdy and can take a beating and block out quite a bit of noise thanks to the leather.

If your just going to be using them at home then anything from the HD series is great (you're probably looking for something in the 200 or 500 series). Noise Canceling is just a gimmick really, if you like tighter bass from your music then try and get closed-back. If you prefer that sparkle in your higher ends I suggest an open-back set, those really come alive for orchestrated songs.

If your planning to plug this into your PC just make sure your headphones don't have over 32ish ohms unless you have decent on-board sound

Cheers
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by captainsnazz
What you really want is earplugs so you can't hear your shite music

You can't like a lot of music, if none of the bands I listed are good in your opinion, and if that's the case, then your opinion is worthless to me....
An alternative to Sennheiser would be AKG. They make some seriously great headpones in all Priceranges. I've got the k518 LE. They're not incredibly expensive, but neverthenless sound amazing.
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
If you have the money, Bowers and Wilkins as well.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I have both sennheisers HD's and Audio technica.

Get ATH-M50x's, or be a casual.
M30s and above are acceptable.

I have a few problems with sennheiser HD's, cheap short chord, feel bass heavy, and are uncomfortable. I'd never make a final mix with them.
Not as good for the price overall.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by MarcFlink
You can't like a lot of music, if none of the bands I listed are good in your opinion

was gonna make a rude comment when you started the thread, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

well, fucking lol
I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD650. Great for mixing [on headphones that is; no replacement for a good set of monitors] and general music listening. The only thing I don't like about em' is the cable.

It's a bit out of your price range, but I've heard good things about Beyerdynamics DT 880. About 250$.

Might be worth the splurge.
Quote by captainsnazz
lmao

Great that i can amuse you. Now, get back to your crappy metal you hoodlum
Quote by MarcFlink
Great that i can amuse you. Now, get back to your crappy metal you hoodlum

Lel
I have Audio Technica ATH M50s and they are incredible.

Mainly bought them for mixing but they work fine for casual listening while walking to uni or whatever.

May be more expensive than you want to spend but you pretty much won't find a better pair without paying significantly more.
Quote by Random3
I have Audio Technica ATH M50s and they are incredible.

Mainly bought them for mixing but they work fine for casual listening while walking to uni or whatever.

May be more expensive than you want to spend but you pretty much won't find a better pair without paying significantly more.

This, also the new versions have a removable cord, so if it breaks, shorts, etc, it's easy as piss to replace.