Page 4 of 1000
Oh the new thread came out already. Is it too late to preorder?
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Totally true. I'm wondering if Heroes of the Storm might be worth playing, although I've never played anything remotely like DOTA or League of Legends. I imagine they expect players of Heroes to have at least some experience with those other games... learning curve might be too great for someone who's never played the genre?

Might be a good tie-over until LotV.

I always thought it'd be cool if StarCraft introduced a fourth race that was totally different, in that maybe it used Vespene as it's main resource and didn't need to build an Extractor/Refinery/Assimilator, and instead needed to construct something additional to mine minerals which it used at it's specialty resource... and maybe it didn't have any units at all, just a huge amount of abilities you could use from support buildings you created... or something... OR SOMETHING... just something totally original and a crazy departure from the three other races.

EDIT: or like one main unit (like the Mothership spawned at the Nexus, Queen for Zerg etc) that had tons of abilities and could spawn support units... maybe upgrade this unit like Hatch Lair Hive or something... somehow inject an RPG race to compete with the three RTS races...

Of course something like this would take 10 years to balance with the game the way it is now, lol

My buddy is in the Heroes of the Storm alpha right now. Says it's very good. He reached top rank a week or so ago and got to play against TotalBiscuit in a live stream, which I think is pretty cool. I'd say LotV comes out in 2015, probably spring or summer. Definitely 2015 though. And with WoW coming to a close (I think? I mean how many expansions are they gonna do?) and nothing but wrapping SC2 and D3 up, and managing both Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone, I'd say that'll free up a lot of time for them to start working on.... Warcraft 4
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I never played 7 before buying it on a Steam sale and was super disappointed - don't think I made it past the first few scenes. Most of what frustrated me was the controls (kept walking in and out of the same room because of perspective flips). I had VI on PS1 as a kid and don't remember that being as much of a problem, but no idea if VII just isn't for me or if the port broke it.
Quote by DamienEx1021
Not a big fan of mods unless they are unofficial type patches that fix games. I might use mods after I play my first run through.

Nope, I got it for $20 during the Steam Winter Sale. Tried to stay away from it mostly because of all the hype and people going bat shit crazy 'omg best game ever' on it. But I have like 125 steam games and I need something to hold my attention for a few weeks so Skyrim it is.

It's great, as you'd expect.

but oblivion is better
Quote by DamienEx1021
I started playing ES5: Skyrim last night. Almost lost myself in the graphics. Ultra makes everything look so sharp. I am afraid of change though so after my oblivion play through with an Argonian, I made another Argonian again and figured I would be as out of place in this one as I was the last.

If you think Ultra is good get yourself some 4K textures and modelling overhauls, it makes Ultra look like shit. That's if your PC can run it of course, if not then Ultra is still better than consoles.
Quote by Jmoarguitar
It's great, as you'd expect.

but oblivion is better

I'd have to agree with this to be honest. Skyrim looks amazing on my PC. There are shit loads of quests, a ton of interesting shit going on, a fantastic soundtrack etc. etc., but it's just...... not Oblivion. Maybe it's because the cities are too similar? No idea what it is, but something's just off about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, and there's no logical reason why Oblivion is better, but I just enjoyed it more
Last edited by crm261 at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by BelowTheSun
I can't even imagine playing Skyrim without mods. It'd be so bland and boring.

I put 100 hours into it on my Xbox before getting it on PC, and I had a blast.
Quote by Jako215
Hey do any of you guys know how the FFVII and VIII ports play on a PC? Are they good or not?

both will need patches on newer hardware or you'll run into problems, and there's only fanmade ones, and some are reported to be malicious so you need to look around properly

not sure about the re-re-release of 7, it should be fine though
Quote by gabcd86
I never played 7 before buying it on a Steam sale and was super disappointed - don't think I made it past the first few scenes. Most of what frustrated me was the controls (kept walking in and out of the same room because of perspective flips). I had VI on PS1 as a kid and don't remember that being as much of a problem, but no idea if VII just isn't for me or if the port broke it.

That's my biggest concern because I am playing with a keyboard and I don't have a controller to play with.
Quote by homeless-john
Wait for "The Gaming Thread XII: Oh, that pre-order DLC is free now".

Sounds good but I think "The Gaming Thread XIII: GOTY Edition will be a better deal"
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by crm261
I put 100 hours into it on my Xbox before getting it on PC, and I had a blast.

same (except ps3).

But really though, at least slap an ENB on it. Skyrim's vanilla lighting is awful
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Jako215
Hey do any of you guys know how the FFVII and VIII ports play on a PC? Are they good or not?

The more recent PC release of FFVII runs fine. It looks like butt and the framerate is locked, but it plays just as well as the PS1 version does. They also patched in the PS1 version's music now so it sounds just as good as well.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Carnivean
My buddy is in the Heroes of the Storm alpha right now. Says it's very good. He reached top rank a week or so ago and got to play against TotalBiscuit in a live stream, which I think is pretty cool. I'd say LotV comes out in 2015, probably spring or summer. Definitely 2015 though. And with WoW coming to a close (I think? I mean how many expansions are they gonna do?) and nothing but wrapping SC2 and D3 up, and managing both Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone, I'd say that'll free up a lot of time for them to start working on.... Warcraft 4

Honestly I'd be absolutely stoked for a WarCraft 4... Gaming PC's are for strategy games as far as I'm concerned :P

I imagine they'll do LotV, I'm unfamiliar with Blizzard's history of Diablo expansions but I feel they'll do at least one more after Don't Fear the Reaper or whatever the hell one it is now. But yeah, WarCraft 4 would be great. After LotV
Quote by Jako215
That's my biggest concern because I am playing with a keyboard and I don't have a controller to play with.

its a turn based RPG .. it plays fine on keyboard

though the original set the movement controls to the numpad which is just ******ed, thankfully its a simple task to rebind them, not sure if the steam release changed that default though
Quote by BelowTheSun
I can't even imagine playing Skyrim without mods. It'd be so bland and boring.

I played the hell out of Skyrim on Xbox. You're just unreasonably hard to please/not a fun person if you find base Skyrim bland and boring.
Quote by crm261
If you think Ultra is good get yourself some 4K textures and modelling overhauls, it makes Ultra look like shit. That's if your PC can run it of course, if not then Ultra is still better than consoles.

If I had a 4k monitor I would. And that being said, my PC is more than built to handle 4k resolution.

I just run 3 monitors and prefer to keep it that way. Besides, If I want to make it big and pretty I will just run it eyefinity.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by BelowTheSun
I meant bland and boring in comparison to how it is with mods.

I suppose the mods might spice it all up a bit. Still though, basic Skyrim is still awesome.
The Walking Dead is the highest stakes game ever. If I can complete this, I clear enough space for Fez, Stick it to the Man, Superfrog HD and Age of Zombies.

On the edge of my seat.
Quote by crm261

I'd have to agree with this to be honest. Skyrim looks amazing on my PC. There are shit loads of quests, a ton of interesting shit going on, a fantastic soundtrack etc. etc., but it's just...... not Oblivion. Maybe it's because the cities are too similar? No idea what it is, but something's just off about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, and there's no logical reason why Oblivion is better, but I just enjoyed it more

You gotta beware the TES first game bias though. Everyone's first Elder Scrolls is their favourite. Here's a few reasons I liked Oblivion more

1. Geography: Cyrodiil is full of beautiful vistas. While Skyrim may hold epic mountains, there weren't near as many times that I'd stop and look just because I was wowed. Also Skyrim looks like where I live and snow is boring to me.

2. Cities & Towns: Towns were much nicer to visit than in Skyrim. Found myself only going to one or two most the times in Skyrim.

3. RPG elements: besides the obvious rpg elements removed like acrobatics and whatnot, I always have to ask how they implemented blacksmithing in Skrim but removed repair hammers. They make so much sense together. The more streamlined skills kind of took away the fun imo

That's just a few, I could write for days. Skyrim brought some good to the Elder Scrolls series no doubt. I enjoyed the combat more in Skyrim, although I hate what they did with magic. You used to be able to wield sword/shield or 2h and still be able to cast magic, but now you have to select the spell and remove any weapon in your hand. I didn't like that near as much, and I'm happy to see ESO work more like Oblivion. Skyrim also removed that shitty scaling system that was in Oblivion, where you never got any better. Downside is most things become incredibly easy in Skyrim.

But the bottom line is I think Skyrim wasn't as good because it was Skyrim. It's a cold, dark, and relatively dead geography. I live in a place where there's snow for near 6 months a year, I see enough of it as it is. Oblivion is much more pleasant in general, which makes it easy for me to invest the amount of hours in it as I did and still do.

rant over
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
You gotta beware the TES first game bias though. Everyone's first Elder Scrolls is their favourite.
lolnope

Skyrim was my first elder scrolls game. I tried them all out except for the first two.

I hate them all equally
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by DamienEx1021
If I had a 4k monitor I would. And that being said, my PC is more than built to handle 4k resolution.

I just run 3 monitors and prefer to keep it that way. Besides, If I want to make it big and pretty I will just run it eyefinity.

4K textures don't need a 4K monitor, it's just a coincidence they both have 4K in the name.

Check out the Nexus for the best graphics overhauls, you won't regret it.
Quote by Jmoarguitar
You gotta beware the TES first game bias though. Everyone's first Elder Scrolls is their favourite.

I have to agree. I like Morrowind best because it is actually an alien world. It's different. Skyrim is just regular uninspired wilderness, so is Oblivion. I mean they're fantasy games, right? Don't look like it. Morrowind has all these weird animals and the natives talk about them and harvest them in different ways. In the newest 2 there are just regular bears and wolves and deer. Even the monsters are just your usual giants, rats, bandits, zombies.. The cool and different monsters they do have are just monsters from earlier games. Atronachs, and Hunger, and such. They didn't even use the really cool ones from earlier games, though. It's boring to fight wolves and bears in a game like this.. There are also more option and versatility in Morrowind. More spells, more useful spells. The newest 2 are just too action gamey. I hate to be that guy, but I'll say it: They were dumbed down for casual players. Making a game appeal to a wider audience isn't a bad thing. but imo when you compare TES games, you have to split them into old TES and modern TES. Morrowind and earlier is old TES - more like tabletop RPGs, more like the classic RPG. Modern TES is just medieval with magic, pretty much.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Mar 28, 2014,
Morrowind was my first TES game, and it's borderline unplayable. The combat is horrible, so is the stealth, so is pretty much everything that involves the player. Yeah, the world is hella good, but it's such a chore to play. In modded Skyrim, I walk around dungeons setting draugrs on fire by hitting them with torches. I can take out an entire fort without being seen, thanks to rope arrows and the ability to silently slit throats for an insta-kill. I have dozens of choices of armor and weapons rather than just a few variations on the same theme. I actually look and feel like a badass, which I never got in Morrowind or Oblivion.
Quote by naedauuf
I have to agree. I like Morrowind best because it is actually an alien world. It's different. Skyrim is just regular uninspired wilderness, so is Oblivion. I mean they're fantasy games, right? Don't look like it. Morrowind has all these weird animals and the natives talk about them and harvest them in different ways. In the newest 2 there are just regular bears and wolves and deer. Even the monsters are just your usual giants, rats, bandits, zombies.. The cool and different monsters they do have are just monsters from earlier games. Atronachs, and Hunger, and such. They didn't even use the really cool ones from earlier games, though. It's boring to fight wolves and bears in a game like this.. There are also more option and versatility in Morrowind. More spells, more useful spells. The newest 2 are just too action gamey. I hate to be that guy, but I'll say it: They were dumbed down for casual players. Making a game appeal to a wider audience isn't a bad thing. but imo when you compare TES games, you have to split them into old TES and modern TES. Morrowind and earlier is old TES - more like tabletop RPGs, more like the classic RPG. Modern TES is just medieval with magic, pretty much.

sometimes fantasy needs to feel real, you dig?
I always looked at Elder Scrolls as the bridge between fantasy and a believable world. Morrowind definitely was a more alien world, but it's never bothered me that Cyrodiil and Skyrim weren't so alien-like. I just thought of it as some parts of the continent were more diverse than others ie. Morrowind, Summerset Isles, Black Marsh.

It's also funny to think that Cyrodiil was supposed to have lots of jungle in the south, prior to Oblivion.

Lots of interesting enemies in ESO. But we won't categorize that with the single player games.
For me it goes Morrowind > Skyrim >>>>>>>> Oblivion.

I got Morrowind first, but Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls I actually played for a significant time. After playing Oblivion, though, I went back to Morrowind and fell in love with it.

Aside from the Shivering Isles I didn't think Oblivion was that good. I hated the Oblivion Gates, I hated the cartoony art style, I hated the combat system. However, the Shivering Isles is probably the best of anything Elder Scrolls-related, so there's that.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by Jmoarguitar
I always looked at Elder Scrolls as the bridge between fantasy and a believable world. Morrowind definitely was a more alien world, but it's never bothered me that Cyrodiil and Skyrim weren't so alien-like. I just thought of it as some parts of the continent were more diverse than others ie. Morrowind, Summerset Isles, Black Marsh.

It's also funny to think that Cyrodiil was supposed to have lots of jungle in the south, prior to Oblivion.

Lots of interesting enemies in ESO. But we won't categorize that with the single player games.

Cyrodil used to be thick jungle like Valenwood and Black Marsh until Talos decided to demonstrate he was a god be literally changing Cyrodil into plains and woods in like a day.

I think it was Talos, at least.
Now there's one thing I think they kept consistently good and cool: The lore. TES lore is always great.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by captaincrunk
it might be hard to get into it since WoW apparently takes the WC3 storylines and runs with it.

Ah. Well in that case maybe they can just start over with a completely original setting, story, with original characters. Then maybe slowly link it with what has become of the old WC storyline so that it makes sense for people who haven't played WoW, and makes for a neat easter egg for those who have.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Cyrodil used to be thick jungle like Valenwood and Black Marsh until Talos decided to demonstrate he was a god be literally changing Cyrodil into plains and woods in like a day.

I think it was Talos, at least.

Learn something new everyday. I figured it was just technical limitations
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Ah. Well in that case maybe they can just start over with a completely original setting, story, with original characters. Then maybe slowly link it with what has become of the old WC storyline so that it makes sense for people who haven't played WoW, and makes for a neat easter egg for those who have.

are you currently employed? blizzard could use a man like you