Right so!

I've decided i want to trade in my line 6 valve 2x12 combo for a Marshall head and 2x12 cab. I was sick of how over saturated the line 6 sounded + poor clean channel.

I'm torn between the JVM205H 50h and the DSL100H!

I can get them both for near enough the same price atm and I can't really test the anytime soon :/

I'm looking for a balls'y/ gainy classic rock overdrive and cleans that wont really break up.

Any help would be appreciated!
Get a used JCM2000 DSL100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any reason in particular? It's alot of money either way so information would be appreciated !
Also what 2x12 cab would sound shit hot? atm I'm thinking either the Evh 5150 III, Jim Root Orange Cab or a Marshall cab.
Full disclosure: I currently own a JVM205H. I previously own a DSL100—the old version—which I sold without much regret. I, personally, much prefer the JVM. So obviously any advice I give is going to be a little biased in favour of the JVM.

Both will do what you want. The JVM is capable of doing much more than the DSL, but that doesn't mean anything if you won't actually be using the extra things it does.

The main difference in tone is that the DSL has a mid shift button which you can push to lower the mids and give a tighter sound, while the JVM always has this drop in mids. The JVM also has more gain available on both channels, but it doesn't sound like you'd really be using that anyway. Bear in mind you can always push the mids far up or down in the EQ sections to compensate for each amps' own tone; I can make my JVM sound just like my DSL and if I had wanted to I'm sure I could have made my DSL sound like this JVM.

The exception is the JVM's clean tone. The clean channel, in green mode, has a unique fixed EQ modification before the gain and tone stack. This revoices that channel to sound more like a Vox amplifier. It's a much clearer, brighter tone than any other Marshall clean. Only the JVM2xx amps have this; the JVM4xx and Satriani amps do not. The cost of this clearer tone is that the volume control for that channel does not work for the green mode; you have to use the gain control like a volume control. It's odd, but it doesn't take too long to get used to and I believe it is worth it for the improved sound.

The big deal-breaker for me is that the JVM allows you to set the EQ differently for each of the two channels, and you can set the effects loop to be automatically on or off with each channel/mode without having to press an additional FX on/off button. If you like your clean and distorted sounds to have a fairly different EQ balance, or if you like to use effects on one and not the other, you pretty much need the JVM. It's the only Marshall amp which fully supports both.

Some people will say the JVM is over-complicated and tough to figure out. It's really not. If you're used to a Line 6 then you already know how to work a JVM; set it up how you want, press and hold a button to save. It doesn't save the position of the EQ—that's not possible with an analogue amp like this—but it does save the channel, mode of the channel, reverb, which master volume you used and whether the FX loops was on or off.

There's not as much to say about the DSL because it's so straight-forward. It's basically a JCM800 set up (crunch/lead 1) with the options of one less (clean) or one more (lead 2) gain stage. You get no fancy loop, the reverb is a simpler version and, in my opinion, not as good, you can't switch channel modes with the footswitch and in general you're far more limited. But many people will argue that more basic amps have a better sound.

My advice, having owned both, is that you have a long, hard think about how you actually like to EQ your tones, whether or not a single clean and a single distorted sound would be enough for you, and how you like to use effects. If you feel you will end up setting the EQ the same for both channels, only need one clean and one distorted tone and don't use many effects or use the same effects for both sounds, go with the DSL. If you need more variety, take the JVM.

Quote by EchoPark93
Any reason in particular? It's alot of money either way so information would be appreciated !
The old DSL100 was made in the UK, had a tone closer to a JCM800 and had a 'deep switch' which selected an expanded bass range. The new DSL100H is made in Vietnam and has a brighter tone, but it has a more useful resonance knob instead of the deep switch and a 50w switch. The old DSL did come in a 50w version too, though.

Quote by EchoPark93
Also what 2x12 cab would sound shit hot? atm I'm thinking either the Evh 5150 III, Jim Root Orange Cab or a Marshall cab.
I use mine with a standard Marshall 1936 cab, with two G12T-75 speakers. It sounds fine for my purposes, but if classic rock distortion is more your thing, you'll definitely want something with V30 or Governer speakers. The G12T-75s that Marshall use give you a much wider and more modern tone. This is the same cab I always ran my DSL100 through, so I can't speak for what it would sound like with the EVH cab. As a general rule I'd not bother with the Jim Root cab, though, as it's just a standard Orange cab with a higher price tag for the artist endorsement.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 28, 2014,
MrFlibble, thank you so much for taking the time to explain it for me! It's been very frustrating trying to piece together from random feeds.

I really only need one main clean and one dirty channel (maybe a cheeky second), in terms of quality of tone would the JVM have much of an advantage? The Jim Root cab is £350 the same as the regular orange cab, so thats too bad but I love the V30's in my Line 6 so that might be a good shout! Will cabs with vintage 30's sound the same? Should i get an open back or closed back cab?

Cheers!
Have you tried either amp? Honestly, it should be pretty obvious to you which one you want after playing them both, they sound very different. Generally, there's not a lot of love here for the JVMs, but there's a handful of members who like them - I'd definitely check one out before you spend the cash, as people seem to really either love or hate this amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If your Line 6 cab has V30s then I'd wait to see how the amp sounds with that, before you worry about buying a new cab.

The 'quality' of the tone is the same. For 'classic' overdriven tones, the DSL will do the job in a more straight-forward fashion. For the JVM, because it always has the mid shift and more gain, you will need to put the gain a few notches lower than you'd think and you'll want to put the mids up further and the treble lower than you normally would. Like I said, they can both end up producing the same sound, they just get there in very different ways. Ultimately you need to decide whether the straight-forward approach of the DSL is better for you or if you need the more complicated extras of the JVM. That's the practical difference.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've got a DSL50 I've had for over a decade. I picked up a jvm205h about a month ago. Played it with the band for about a month and returned it while I still could. It sounded good but I just couldn't bond with it. I actually think the new 50 watt EVH 5150 III for 999 through greenbacks does Marshall (what I think of Marshall tone in my head ) a bit better than the JVM. I"m back to the dsl and I'm happy again. But guys like Slash, Satriani, Bon Jovi, and Buckethead are happy with their JVMs! And they are hella more talented than me.

eh. It's just my limited experience. YMMV.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 28, 2014,
I've played a lot of JVMs and I've never been impressed with their overdrive. I might just have a particular taste, but it never quite did the Marshall tone like I expected, not enough punch and clarity. That said, it's got a lot of versatility and if you like the overdrive, then it may be the amp for you.
^ yeah I have played the 210 and 410 and I was not impressed, yes it is versatile but I do prefer my DSL100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But guys like Slash, Satriani, Bon Jovi, and Buckethead are happy with their JVMs! And they are hella more talented than me.
Satriani's JVM is a special kind, it's his own signature model.
Interesting you mention Bon Jovi. Jon Bon Jovi himself uses a JVM, but Richie Sambora uses DSLs (except now he's switched to Blackstar amps and old Plexi heads).

Quote by cheesefries
what I think of Marshall tone in my head

Quote by evmac
t never quite did the Marshall tone like I expected, not enough punch and clarity.
That's the point of the JVM, it's not supposed to sound like the typical Marshall. It's why it's called the JVM: the V standards for Victoria, Jim Marshall's daughter who thought they needed to have something in their range which didn't just do the same thing they've been doing for so many decades.
The JCM2000 was their first attempt at a 'modern' amp, and it certainly was an advancement of the tired JCM800 design, but it still wasn't as much of a modern jump to keep up with things like the Rectifiers (which it was meant to compete directly with, hence the dual and triple models) and 6505s. Hence the JVM was made the way it was, a fresh do-over from the JCM800 and given the new initials to make it completely distinct from the JCM800-based JCM2000 series.

... Of course, it's still not that much of a huge leap. Just a bit tighter, brighter and higher-gain than the JCM800-based amps. I doubt Marshall will ever make a full-on Mesa/Peavey kind of amp.
Quote by MrFlibble
Satriani's JVM is a special kind, it's his own signature model.
Interesting you mention Bon Jovi. Jon Bon Jovi himself uses a JVM, but Richie Sambora uses DSLs (except now he's switched to Blackstar amps and old Plexi heads).

That's the point of the JVM, it's not supposed to sound like the typical Marshall. It's why it's called the JVM: the V standards for Victoria, Jim Marshall's daughter who thought they needed to have something in their range which didn't just do the same thing they've been doing for so many decades.
The JCM2000 was their first attempt at a 'modern' amp, and it certainly was an advancement of the tired JCM800 design, but it still wasn't as much of a modern jump to keep up with things like the Rectifiers (which it was meant to compete directly with, hence the dual and triple models) and 6505s. Hence the JVM was made the way it was, a fresh do-over from the JCM800 and given the new initials to make it completely distinct from the JCM800-based JCM2000 series.

... Of course, it's still not that much of a huge leap. Just a bit tighter, brighter and higher-gain than the JCM800-based amps. I doubt Marshall will ever make a full-on Mesa/Peavey kind of amp.

ah. If I knew all that to being with I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I'm not much into modern sounding amps at all. If I had the itch I'd get a Mesa for that stuff.