Hey guys, this might be rambling so I'm sorry in advance

So I FINALLY got my Jackson Demmelition back from a set-up, and the tech at the shop seemed insistent that 12-60 gauge strings in C standard would be too thick for the Floyd Rose to take (FRT-2000 if that makes any difference to what your opinion might be), and essentially set the guitar up with 11-56 gauges despite me wanting thicker. I'd been waiting way too long for the guitar to get back to me so I agreed to his changes to the set up, lo and behold, 11-56 is FAR too thin for me, the strings feel loose as hell to me.

I'm inexperienced in setting guitars up, so I'd feel a lot better taking something in to a shop and just paying for a set up, but was the tech right in saying a .60 is too much for a Floyd Rose? I've never heard that before, and I'm fairly sure he's wrong, I was just looking to check with people that know a little more than me and have a little more experience with Floyds and different string gauges.

If a .60 really is too thick for a Floyd, are there any brands of string that have REALLY high tension in thinner gauges? I'm using D'addarios right now if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys
I don't see why a 60 gauge string would be too thick for FRs in general. So, unless your specific model is smaller than my OFR trem system...I doubt the guy knew what he was talking about. The string brand shouldn't matter.

Anyway, here's a tip: use the below thread and the video below that to learn how to set up your FR.
FR Setup Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBLysvmPy0

It's actually a 2pt. video, so watch part 2 after you finish this one.
Floyd Rose's intonation is odd, and they recommend you always use standard 10's on them. Also, the truss rod can get out of sync with the strings when you use .12's. It will only accept a certain tension, and it really depends on the scale length of the guitar. I feel like you'd have to put in a extra spring or two in the back. You could always try lighter strings on the bottom and keep 60's for your E and A string
Quote by Scutchington
May 1st 2010 I had a sandwich.

May 1st 2011 Osama is killed.

May 2nd 2011 I decided the sandwich I had last year was pretty good.
If it makes any difference with springs etc. it has 4 springs in the back from stock, and the scale length is a standard 25.5"
Quote by benomino324
Floyd Rose's intonation is odd, and they recommend you always use standard 10's on them.

That's great. Lots of people have used thicker than 10s just fine. I have a 56 in the lowest position and a 13 in the highest right now. NO issues. Zero. None.

Also, the truss rod can get out of sync with the strings when you use .12's. It will only accept a certain tension, and it really depends on the scale length of the guitar.

And if you know how to properly set up your guitar, this isn't an issue. The link and video I gave will help with learning that.

I feel like you'd have to put in a extra spring or two in the back.

Which is an issue, because?...
Edit: Also, TS says there's 4 springs. So, that's fine.

You could always try lighter strings on the bottom and keep 60's for your E and A string

Or he could not, because making sure you have a balanced set of strings ensures that your tone sound consistent across ALL strings.

Quote by JDR3009
If it makes any difference with springs etc. it has 4 springs in the back from stock, and the scale length is a standard 25.5"

That sounds fine. No issues there.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 28, 2014,
the strings are thick but for c standard I imagine they'd be absolutely fine.. I'm running a set of d'addario medium jazz strings 13-56 in d standard right now and don't have any issues.. required me adjusting my truss rod which was a bugger as its a heel access and I had to take the neck off and on a few times. ideally I need to file my nut too (its an old japstrat without a locking nut but has a string lock behind the nut) but its not too bad and plays absolutely amazingly.. I'm just nitpicking haha.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
To be fair it sounds ok with 11-56 on it, but it just feels god-awful
Quote by JDR3009
the tech at the shop seemed insistent........ I agreed to his changes to the set up

You should have said to this guy. It's not his place to insist on anything. You can use whatever you want with a proper set up. This guy's just a douche. The perfect gauge for you is what you like, not what he thinks you should like.

Honestly just learn how to do this stuff yourself, but in the meantime go somewhere else.
Quote by D_M_I

Honestly just learn how to do this stuff yourself, but in the meantime go somewhere else.

/thread

Only you know what you like. Don't pay techs stupid amounts of money to give you something you don't want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Blimey, 12s..?!??!?

You must have arms like Pop-Eye!

I'm a bit of a wimp myself and use 9s lol
Yeah but were also talking about c standard. I'm runnings 13s in D.. its not that bad really and I have skinny twink arms

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON