What I'm considering:

OCD
Boss BD-2
Boss SD-1
Bodd OD-3

Playing in a band with another guitarist, so I guess I want something with a decent amount of mids. I'd also like it to be versetile. Most of what we're playing needs a mild OD, but some extra drive is nice. Pedal is going front end into a solid state on a clean setting. I also have an EQ/compression pedal if that helps.

EDIT: Also, I'd like something that has enough clarity for solos as well. I've heard the BD-2 is mainly a rhythm/chord pedal, for example.
Last edited by Jackolope at Mar 29, 2014,
Different pedals sound differently going into different amps. Hmmm did that make sense?

You probably want to experiment with your amp to see which ones work best for you. I really liked a TS9 into my 64 Fender Blackface but not so much into a Mesa. OCD or Fulldrive sounds better there. A Ratt sounds good into many Brit amps. Explore!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
i'd guess an ocd if you're using a solid state amp

depends on what you mean by "mild", though. all of those would work if you don't need too much dirt.

bd2 might have the fewest mids
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know what you mean. I would do that, except I don't have many music stores where I live, so I mostly order online.

It's one of those Marshall MG amps; I use it for jazz cleans mostly which it does decently. I figure someone on here has one and has used a stompbox for OD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd guess an ocd if you're using a solid state amp

depends on what you mean by "mild", though. all of those would work if you don't need too much dirt.

bd2 might have the fewest mids

Like a clean with a little dirt, but I'm sure they can all do that. I like the OCD the most. From what I can tell, it seems to blend into a band while still cutting through...if that makes sense.
TS9 has a lot of mid punch and really replicates a 70s Stadium Rock tone with a Fender tube amp. Not sure about your though. I like the OCD best with the tone rolled off a bit to 10 o'clock. It's a nice balanced OD that works with a lot of amps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 28, 2014,
In general, I'd take the bd2 outta those. If you're using low gain or clean it'll chunk it up a lil and add a subtle growl. Its pretty versatile too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The only thing I've heard about the BD-2 that's bad is that it doesn't have decent mids.
What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Jackolope
The Alairex HALO looks nice, but is out of my price range.

Then get the one channel, Junior.

Cheaper than an amp...it's an amp in a box.
I'll save up and invest in the HALO eventually; I need a quick fix, as we start practicing Monday and none of the stores here carry anything that isn't...Boss or DigiTech I believe.
Right off the bat, I think it's worth pointing out that solid state amps don't interact with overdrive pedals like valve amps do. You do not want to drive a solid state amp harder. This is why higher-quality solid state amps tend to be rated at well over 100w, so you know they have more than enough headroom to never be overdriven.

If you decide you do want to drive your amp's preamp harder, the OD-3 is what you want. It's mostly flat with just a slight mid hump and it has enough gain to add a noticable amount of clipping, without being so much that you would class it as a distortion pedal. If versatility with a bit of a mid emphasis is what you want, that's the one for you.

However, I'd recommend you don't use an overdrive, and instead use a distortion pedal and simply set the gain lower. That way you run no risk of dodgy solid state preamp clipping. The Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion and DigiTech Screamin' Blues Overdrive/Distortion will be good. The DigiTech gives you more control over the overall tone (low + high EQ vs single tone control), while the Boss gives you more control over the style of clipping (gain + clipping colour controls vs gain control). Personally, I'm a fan of the DigiTech more, it being one of only two pedals I've ever had, sold, missed and re-bought. The Boss may well be better for you though, depends how particular you are about the nature of your drive.
The added advantage of going with something like those two pedals is they can be tamed enough, and have enough flat level boost, to also be used to drive your amp if you do end up wanting to do that anyway.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
TS maybe if you sell the two pedals you already have, and save a bit more, you can get a new amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by AngryHatter

he has a marshall mg and you suggest that he buy a $400 overdrive pedal?

Quote by AngryHatter
Then get the one channel, Junior.

Cheaper than an amp...it's an amp in a box.

it's not an amp in a box, it's a pedal. i bet it's a clone or a tweaked clone.

Quote by MrFlibble

However, I'd recommend you don't use an overdrive, and instead use a distortion pedal and simply set the gain lower. That way you run no risk of dodgy solid state preamp clipping. The Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion and DigiTech Screamin' Blues Overdrive/Distortion will be good. The DigiTech gives you more control over the overall tone (low + high EQ vs single tone control), while the Boss gives you more control over the style of clipping (gain + clipping colour controls vs gain control). Personally, I'm a fan of the DigiTech more, it being one of only two pedals I've ever had, sold, missed and re-bought. The Boss may well be better for you though, depends how particular you are about the nature of your drive.
The added advantage of going with something like those two pedals is they can be tamed enough, and have enough flat level boost, to also be used to drive your amp if you do end up wanting to do that anyway.

another big advantage of the screamin blues and os2 is that they won't break the bank. they're cheap enough that you can get them to tide you over, without slowing you down (too much) for getting a new amp.

the rat is another versatile pedal, but it's on the heavier side of things. killer pedal but probably not the best choice in this intance.

Quote by Jackolope
Like a clean with a little dirt, but I'm sure they can all do that. I like the OCD the most. From what I can tell, it seems to blend into a band while still cutting through...if that makes sense.

the ocd is the heaviest one there. i'm sure it'll do it but if you only want edge of breakup the others might be better.

as cath says, if you're thinking of spending tons of money, get a new amp. flibble's warning that SS amps don't work with od pedals like tube amps do is sound, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 29, 2014,
I just looked up a Marshall MG amp... If you are gigging it's time to buy a tube amp. OD pedals won't fix this.

A Blackstar HT? Get out of my office before I call security.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh you meant the HT pedal, not a HT amp? OK, I'll forgive you that. Otherwise, you were gonna get this:

He still needs a new amp.
May I suggest you look at some Jet Cities? They're cheaper than some of the pedals people have been recommending.

However, you all know what I think of Blackstar. Even if their pedals are good I wouldn't give them ... yada yada.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 30, 2014,
Quote by Jackolope
I looked at Jet Cities a while ago, and they sounded great.

then get one instead of trying to polish the turd of an amp you have, no pedal is going to save that amp not even a klon. Im not trying to be mean here its just your money will be better served on a new amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
then get one instead of trying to polish the turd of an amp you have, no pedal is going to save that amp not even a klon. Im not trying to be mean here its just your money will be better served on a new amp.

I knew that all along, but I only have about $100 to spend at the moment, and it's better than nothing. The cleans aren't that bad. Some people use pedals for solid state amps like the Roland Jazz Chorus. I'll end up upgrading in the near future.
Well if you want something good and cheap for now, I say get a EH soul food. I would still invest in the new amp first though because if you still plan on buying a new amp your just setting yourself back by buying a pedal.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Jackolope
The Alairex HALO looks nice, but is out of my price range.

You'll do as I did and buy twenty pedals, each of which will cost $50 to $100 each and never be satisfied.

I got the HALO in 2012 and have not thought about, let alone buy another OD.

It is literally an amp in a box.

Half the venues I play have their own equipment so one night I have a Twin with a blown speaker and the next night it's a Princeton. But I always get the sound I want.

Save up, sell something etc.
Cathbard is right, once again.

I'm sticking with his point of view. I'd say look used for the cheapest distortion (not overdrive) pedal you can find and use that until you can get another amp, because that's going to help you much more. It doesn't even have to be a multi thousand dollar tube amp (though that's always nice), just better than a Marshall MG.

But if you're set on those pedals, I think the OCD is the most organic and best sounding.

As distortion pedals go however, I'm a big fan of the FET Driver, which is closer to your price range I believe. Or an MXR 78 Bada** distortion. Either of those are closer to what your range is (I believe) and great distortion pedals.

May I also recommend looking into a volume boost? It's really nice if you're looking for a little more for solo's; not too expensive and I think often overlooked.

Oh, I've never tried one, but I've heard good things about the Bad Monkey distortion pedal FOR THE PRICE. I know it's not phenomenal but it's dirt cheap and I've heard great reviews. Just a thought. Good Luck!
Last edited by gibson52198 at Apr 8, 2014,
Just realized you are looking at basically the same pedals I am right now. The SD-1 you probably aren't going to be happy with, I tried one out the other day and it just didn't have enough gain or "fatness" to it. The BD-2 I loved, but only on higher gain settings. The OCD seems to do what the Blues Driver does, but with the added benefit of having even more gain if you need it. The OD-3 unfortunately Guitar Center didn't have, but they sound great online. Pretty similar to the BD-2 though. Overall, I think the OCD would be the best option.
Go wash some cars or mow some lawns and get one of these. It is dirt cheap and can be found used for $200 but it is a very musical practice/recording amp with some small gig potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeWr6dHvFk

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 8, 2014,
Quote by AngryHatter

It is literally an amp in a box.

no, it's a pedal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
none of those. personally, i think with so many tens of thousands of OD pedals on the market, i will most likely never settle for the first 4 that show up in a guitar center cabinet.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
none of those. personally, i think with so many tens of thousands of OD pedals on the market, i will most likely never settle for the first 4 that show up in a guitar center cabinet.

Going against that whole commercialization/culture, heh?
I am with you
I've never had an OD pedal sound good through a solid state amp. I would suggest a nice, small tube amp. 5-15 watts should be plenty for you. If you do not want a new amp, I would look at the Vox Satchurator. Sounded decent through my Marshall solid state.
MG's are as bad as it gets IMO, but some amps dp well with OD's, m music man sounds great with a zendrive on lower gain levels. my ampeg, rapes a lot of decent amps with an OCD.

those are of the minor percentage though. JC120 is the way to go unless you want to go vintage fender like a black face twin. different cleans buy a long shot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/