http://www.hooktheory.com/analysis

There is over a thousand songs with chord progressions, and users can put up songs that they transcribe. It also has an ear trainer, and you can search for songs via chord progression. I thought i'd share it, it's really cool.

There are some flaws sometimes (it'll say a song is in a major key when it's in its relative minor, sometimes it'll say things are modal when they aren't) but for the most part it's really great.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 28, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
"Hmm this seems interesting..."
*clicks link*
*clicks first song*

This thread again.

Yea there are songs that are incorrect but there are a lot that are not.
Quote by macashmack
Yea there are songs that are incorrect but there are a lot that are not.

So, it's the ultimate-guitar of harmonic analysis?

Also; money on sam coming in and seeing the part in the "Happy" analysis that says it's in mixolydian and the rest of the thread being about modes.
nice, that's pretty handy for a lazy git like me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
So, it's the ultimate-guitar of harmonic analysis?

Also; money on sam coming in and seeing the part in the "Happy" analysis that says it's in mixolydian and the rest of the thread being about modes.

Already saw it. And not even bothering.
aw go on. we can never have too many threads about modes.

how do they analyse sweet home alabama?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
aw go on. we can never have too many threads about modes.

how do they analyse sweet home alabama?
"Sweet Home Alabama", is so played out anyway.

What I want to know is whether "That Smell", is modal?
Wow what a crappy site. It was going to happen eventually.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It is a pretty neat site, but it shows just how ignorant most people are on music. I don't understand how people can say everything is modal and refuse to learn basic harmony.

Take "Sweet Child of Mine" for example. It's chord progression is D C G D (two of each) in the verse and A C D D in the chorus. Both chord progressions resolve on D, so therefore, it's in the Key of D major (Db in it's original tuning). Just because it uses a C instead of C#m7b5 doesn't make it D Mixolydian. I mean, it uses both Cs and C#s in the chorus, so it must modulate, correct? People are just ignorant about basic tonal harmony.

It's like how I came across this bassist talking about "modes" after watching a Pebber Brown video. This kid was trying to call different positions of the major scale by "the modes" when he clearly demonstrated himself playing over a C major progression (and even "Get Lucky" in the intro).
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Captaincranky
"Sweet Home Alabama", is so played out anyway.

Quote by aerosmithfan95
It is a pretty neat site, but it shows just how ignorant most people are on music. I don't understand how people can say everything is modal and refuse to learn basic harmony.

wow, you really can't understand how most people aren't interested in what you are? really?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aerosmithfan95

It's like how I came across this bassist talking about "modes" after watching a Pebber Brown video. This kid was trying to call different positions of the major scale by "the modes" when he clearly demonstrated himself playing over a C major progression (and even "Get Lucky" in the intro).

That bass vid's a crackup, I love all the praise he gets in the comments for it too!
I used to watch PB vids but, far out man, he waffles in between to much for me... you know... although Pepper does know his stuff and has learnt from some great teachers, I just can't recall them from memory right now, but i'm sure if I tried, I might... remember them, that is... but anyway guys etc... etc.. e-t-bldy-c...

EDIT: Pebber (I can't Spell... far out - even when it's right there in front of me)
Last edited by tonibet72 at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by aerosmithfan95

Damn that vid is horrible.
Soundcloud
Quote by tonibet72
That bass vid's a crackup, I love all the praise he gets in the comments for it too!
I used to watch PB vids but, far out man, he waffles in between to much for me... you know... although Pepper does know his stuff and has learnt from some great teachers, I just can't recall them from memory right now, but i'm sure if I tried, I might... remember them, that is... but anyway guys etc... etc.. e-t-bldy-c...

The saddest comment has got to be:

Dude.......
[B]NOWWWWW I UNDERSTAND  WHAT MODES ARE AND HOW THEY WORK!![/B]
I was wondering if you could PLEASE explain how we can form chords from the major scale?
It's going to be pretty predicable and boring playing scales not knowing how to play chords, or even how they are formed.
I have to say THANK YOU again man, as I can FINALLY get a move on without being stuck in one postion all the time.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I mean, in light of the fact that the "teacher" doesn't know what he's talking about, that bolded part is just depressing.
Quote by tonibet72

Yeah, I watch his videos once in a blue moon.

Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, you really can't understand how most people aren't interested in what you are? really?

Wait, what?
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Wait, what?

Most people aren't interested in studying music. Listening to it. Maybe learning a few popular songs on guitar. But actually learning theory? Not so much. So, because there's very few people (comparatively) to correct idiots who spread misinformation, it's easy for misinformation to spread. So...people aren't interested in music theory...easy for misinformation to spread.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Most people aren't interested in studying music. Listening to it. Maybe learning a few popular songs on guitar. But actually learning theory? Not so much. So, because there's very few people (comparatively) to correct idiots who spread misinformation, it's easy for misinformation to spread. So...people aren't interested in music theory...easy for misinformation to spread.

All right. For some reason, it wasn't clicking with me.

I understand that most people aren't interested in learning theory. It's just when someone wants to convey knowledge (correct or incorrect), that, to me, shows that they're interested in the subject. I do see and understand yours and Dave's point on it.
Quote by aerosmithfan95

not really a fan of PB, some info he shares might be useful but if i remember correctly all of his videos were only about picking exercises, chromatic exercises (one of his chromatic drills videos was like 2hours or something, ridiculous) and practicing scale sequences, not about how to actually use those tools to make music.

at least some of his videos are free (good advertisment for the dvds you can buy at his website), but it shows how you can make money out of absolutely nothing, think of Guitar Grimoire which is a book of 300 pages consisting entirely of fretboard diagrams of scales and their modes in the 12 keys. completely useless and more harmful to a clueless beginner

look at this link, that bassist is selling lessons for 80$
http://thebasswizard.com/learn-how-to-play-slap-bass/
Quote by aerosmithfan95

Wait, what?

Most people aren't interested in learning music theory. that's not really a problem, it's just the way things are. How are you on quantum theory? economics? number theory? organometallic chemistry? foreign languages? etc. etc. etc.

even closer to home, do you know how a guitar amp works? how about a pickup? etc. etc.

it's the easiest thing in the world to decry why other people aren't interested in the one thing you happen to be. it's a lot harder to admit that you're basically the same when it comes to any other subject (or at least most other subjects).

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

that wasn't really my point, but that's a good point as well. even if you want to find good info you aren't guaranteed of finding it (same thing goes with a lot of guitar gear information, there's a lot of BS and misinformation there too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 30, 2014,
@Dave MC: That doesn't make sense though, because aerosmith was talking about people who obviously DO have an interest in music and theory. He doesn't (and I don't) understand why someone would choose to learn something and then learn it the wrong way/learn the wrong thing.
^^^ Because people will generally opt for the easiest option, blind to any issues that may arise by skipping a few steps.
Soundcloud
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I mean, in light of the fact that the "teacher" doesn't know what he's talking about, that bolded part is just depressing.

Best Line:"@0m18s...do you wanna know how I was able to do that?...and play all over the neck smoothly like that?..."

2nd Best Line: "@5m38s ..."I can use A Aeolian and give it a minor kind of sound"... (whilst continuing to puff away on C Major)... Hilary-ARSE

I love this guy!!!
Quote by tonibet72
Best Line:"@0m18s...do you wanna know how I was able to do that?...and play all over the neck smoothly like that?..."

2nd Best Line: "@5m38s ..."I can use A Aeolian and give it a minor kind of sound"... (whilst continuing to puff away on C Major)... Hilary-ARSE

I love this guy!!!

I just can't get over the fact that he's ACTUALLY serious. It'd be one thing if, to illustrate a point, he spent 2 minutes of the video going off like that. And then said, "That's how you should NOT view modes. Sadly, that is how a lot of people see modes. Here's what modes really are...Get out your 'theory notebooks', guys!" After which, he would proceed to discuss modes in the proper manner.
Quote by macashmack
@Dave MC: That doesn't make sense though, because aerosmith was talking about people who obviously DO have an interest in music and theory. He doesn't (and I don't) understand why someone would choose to learn something and then learn it the wrong way/learn the wrong thing.

to be fair, he didn't exactly clarify that terribly well. if that's what he meant, fair enough, i agree.

and as alan says, it's taking the easy way out (i'm as guilty of that as anyone else, i have only a very basic grasp of music theory, if even ), combined with, as crazysam23_Atax rightly said, that even if you are interested in learning properly, it's often difficult to find accurate information to learn from.

the other thing is, I don't think there's a problem with learning a bit of music theory (though obviously that's distinct from learning it incorrectly, which goes without saying). I mean with virtually any subject you can always learn more, not to mention plenty of people are interested in more than one thing and don't want to necessarily devote their lives to one single subject.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Most people aren't interested in learning music theory. that's not really a problem, it's just the way things are. How are you on quantum theory? economics? number theory? organometallic chemistry? foreign languages? etc. etc. etc.

even closer to home, do you know how a guitar amp works? how about a pickup? etc. etc.

it's the easiest thing in the world to decry why other people aren't interested in the one thing you happen to be. it's a lot harder to admit that you're basically the same when it comes to any other subject (or at least most other subjects).

that wasn't really my point, but that's a good point as well. even if you want to find good info you aren't guaranteed of finding it (same thing goes with a lot of guitar gear information, there's a lot of BS and misinformation there too).

Yeah, I know what you're saying. You clearly misunderstood my comment in the first place. I know I'm a bit of a space cadet when trying to put my thoughts into words. It just confuses me on how people can take the easiest way into learning things, and than they attempt to teach other people the subject.

Again, sorry for it coming off the wrong way. Besides, people are interested everything I'm in, and I accept that. I mean, I couldn't care a bit about learning languages, but I do have quite an interest in amplifiers and electronics (what I'm studying).
I posted a comment on Marc Wizard's video criticising the application of modes in the vid. He responded and I responded back but now the discussion has been accidentially deleted.

I have invited Marc Wizard to join our discussion here.
Soundcloud
Yeah, I tried to talk to him about it. His excuse was "It's a complicated subject to debate here on YouTube. Besides, you'd have to know theory to understand it." I mean, I have a pretty decent grasp on theory, and I don't know if he deleted the comments or what.
Quote by AlanHB
I posted a comment on Marc Wizard's video criticising the application of modes in the vid. He responded and I responded back but now the discussion has been accidentially deleted.

I have invited Marc Wizard to join our discussion here.

In other words, Marc Wizard is silently refusing to learn properly.

Edit:
Fixed it to "silently". Not slightly. lol
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 1, 2014,
Is marc wizard his real name? if so that's awesome

Quote by aerosmithfan95
Yeah, I know what you're saying. You clearly misunderstood my comment in the first place. I know I'm a bit of a space cadet when trying to put my thoughts into words. It just confuses me on how people can take the easiest way into learning things, and than they attempt to teach other people the subject.

Again, sorry for it coming off the wrong way. Besides, people are interested everything I'm in, and I accept that. I mean, I couldn't care a bit about learning languages, but I do have quite an interest in amplifiers and electronics (what I'm studying).

No worries I know what you're saying and I agree. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt when I wasn't sure what you meant

My big problem is I'm interested a bit in everything. I do like to understand things right, but at the same time I kind of want to understand everything right, so I can understand the appeal of shortcuts too

And yeah I agree with you about the teaching other people. that's the big thing. It's one thing not quite having it right yourself, it's another passing off that half-assed information to others.

You'll know far more than me as you're doing electronics, but the amount of "guides" to pedal bypass, for example, which have flat-out wrong information in them (guff like "if you get a bypassed signal with no power attached, it's true bypass!" ), is staggering. It's hard to teach people correctly when they've come across an official-looking guide which says the opposite of what you're saying... "What would you know, you're just some random dude on an internet forum! this guy has a website!" It seems to be the same for music theory, unfortunately
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Yeah, I tried to talk to him about it. His excuse was "It's a complicated subject to debate here on YouTube. Besides, you'd have to know theory to understand it." I mean, I have a pretty decent grasp on theory, and I don't know if he deleted the comments or what.

I can see your comment (I think), I believe he only deleted mine.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I can see your comment (I think), I believe he only deleted mine.

If it's Billy McGuire, than it's me.

Quote by Dave_Mc
No worries I know what you're saying and I agree. I should have given you the benefit of the doubt when I wasn't sure what you meant

My big problem is I'm interested a bit in everything. I do like to understand things right, but at the same time I kind of want to understand everything right, so I can understand the appeal of shortcuts too

And yeah I agree with you about the teaching other people. that's the big thing. It's one thing not quite having it right yourself, it's another passing off that half-assed information to others.

You'll know far more than me as you're doing electronics, but the amount of "guides" to pedal bypass, for example, which have flat-out wrong information in them (guff like "if you get a bypassed signal with no power attached, it's true bypass!" ), is staggering. It's hard to teach people correctly when they've come across an official-looking guide which says the opposite of what you're saying... "What would you know, you're just some random dude on an internet forum! this guy has a website!" It seems to be the same for music theory, unfortunately

Yeah, that's my problem. It pisses me off beyond belief when people pass off half-assed information when they don't fully understand it. And yeah, I've started studying electronics at the end of last August. As of right now, most of my knowledge is more theoretical than practical. I still know enough to realize that most people don't what they're doing.
Yeah I think the other thing that's pretty useful is having a reasonable idea of your own abilities. I mean I'm not really an expert in anything, but I also have a fair idea of what I know and what I don't know (and when to defer to those who do), so I come across (I think ) as knowing more than I actually do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?