Hey guys, so lately, ive started up a local fusion band, and have just been listening to tons of the music, and decided to make a quick jam video of me messing around with Govans Wonderful slippery thing. Im of course not guthrie, and just had some fun with this video. Id love to know what u guys think!!! Any crit/advice is appreciated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01cFLut6X-M

As always, Ill c4c,

Thanks,

Jake P
Thanks for crit!
Like the grove of this song man great technique and playing!
The only issue for me is that guitar tone it's lacking that solid low end.
Everything else sounded great. Btw how was the guitar recorded if you don't mind me asking.
Dude this is great stuff, covering Guthrie is not an easy task. You have great "feel" in your fingers. The only issue i think is not playing related but more of a recording issue, the level of your guitar and backing track don't seem at the optimum level (but thats just me also i dont think recording quality was your objective). So overall Great Stuff!!!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1638964
I like the overall sound of the song. Reminds me of something that would play during the selection screen of a car racing game or something. CHOOSE YOUR VECHICLE. LET'S GO!

I'm really digging the groove of the backing track also.
Lastly, and I don't think this should be overlooked as much as it is, I really appreciate someone who gets INTO playing what they play and you definitely do in your video, which helped me get into it.
Quote by KingKrisKhan
I like the overall sound of the song. Reminds me of something that would play during the selection screen of a car racing game or something. CHOOSE YOUR VECHICLE. LET'S GO!

I'm really digging the groove of the backing track also.
Lastly, and I don't think this should be overlooked as much as it is, I really appreciate someone who gets INTO playing what they play and you definitely do in your video, which helped me get into it.

haha thanks man! and this is just such a funky backing, how can you NOT get into what your playing, if what your playing has any sincerity? haha I jam to this backing like 20 times every day, ive never found one that has this level of groove. Also, that might come from the fact that i play in a hair metal band also, so im use to being at least semi lively while playing (I must say though, on stage, those lights kick ur a** after a few hours!). Either way, im glad u noticed, and that you enjoyed it! Thanks a ton for the crit!
Wow! You are a very talented guitar player indeed.
Groovy! I don't know the genre, but to me your playing and the tone seem to fit the music. Levels could perhaps be adjusted but I guess your focus was on getting into the groove rather than producing. And I think you did that!
Hey nice moves and you definitely put your own stamp on it. Bravo!

If I were producing your album, what would I change? Roll off the gain a bit. It sounds cool in places but loses a lot of note definition along the way. Food for thought.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
haha i already liked your vid on youtube. frickin love anything by guthrie govan, you really rocked this track though. very tasteful playing though, nothing i didn't like, and i liked that weren't afraid to shred the f*ck out of the song when it felt necessary. you didn't go overboard (well, too overboard , this is a guthrie govan song) and techniques like sweeps or chromatics were used tastefully and effectively.

i felt like sometimes you got caught a bit on the shredding and struggled to get back to the melody, but that's phrasing and personal taste mostly.

well played. looking forward to your next vid.
by the way, i stole this riff.
You really nailed the track. I like the way you incorporate the 'metal' kind of tone to the track. All in all, I can do nothing more but to salute you. You feel the grove and you have a nice taste. I am sooooo impressed!

Thanks for watching my videos Today I am posting a new one, if you are interested please see to it.

p.s I love the ending...soooo natural!
Hey Jake, sorry that i'm writing so late, but hey i promised, well this should be better for you, some kind of legal bump haha. That was amazing man, i'm not gonna talk about your technique, not only because it is very good (maybe try to leave your pinky a little closer to the fretboard, it happens to me a lot that it is flying away from it haha), but because improvising with such a wonderful funk backing track (at least that is how it feels to me) only needs you to have energy and soul playing that stuff. AAnd you surely have! haha. Keep at it! It sounds amazing, and that tapping at 3:00, killer. Around 2:00 i thought you were going to give us some love in a clean tone, haha maybe try it in another occasion to see how it goes? Anyway, keep rocking, i will be o nthe lookout for any stuff that you post! take care