I cant really seem to find anyone or any reviews of anyone who has done this.

I found some youtube vids of people putting the single coils in the neck and mid positions of guitars with a humbucker in the bridge, and they sound pretty damn awesome, but it'd be nice to know what they sound like in the bridge position. There aren't even any soundbites on the SD website either which kinda sucks.. either way if I want to put in one I really have to put in all three so theres that.

Should I just go for it?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
anyone?

other idea is to just rout for a humbucker and throw in a bkp juggernaut..

idk what to do bros

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
In my experience, full size humbuckers always sound better than single coil size humbuckers. I tried the little '59, little screamin demon and hot rails pickups from Seymour Duncan and they just sound kind of weak. I have a Strat with a stock full size humbucker in it and I can get some pretty big tone out of it. Could be that it's time to get the router out?
If it's humbucker tone you want, the single coil Blackouts won't do it. SD and EMG's active single coils, contrary to popular belief, are not meant to sound like humbuckers at all. They give the same sound as any regular single coil, with the benefits or drawbacks of being active, depending on your opinion on active systems.

So if you want a single coil tone, Blackout singles will do fine. The EMG X-series singles do it much, much better, though. The SAVX, in particular, is identical in tone to a standard single coil but with a flat increase in output, a broader frequency response range and no hum.

If you want something which is a single coil size but sounds like a humbucker, the active pickups won't do it. Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio, as well as several 'budget' companies, make plenty of humbuckers in a single coil size. They do sound as full as a regular humbucker, if you make your choice smartly. Because they are a different size, you cna't just use the exact same spec as a normal humbucker and expect to get the same sound. You have to use more unusual wire and magnet combinations to get the same results, but it absolutely is possible. You also need to be careful with how you install them, as these smaller pickups are more sensitive to being too close or too far form the strings than a regular humbucker. The SD Hot Rails for Telecaster is actually a thicker-sounding and higher-output pickup than an EMG 81 and the DM Tone Zone S has a bigger sound to it than a full-size Super Distortion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've got a DM super distortion single coil in the bridge but it sounds really flat to me, theres no "oompf" if that makes sense. It sounds kind of muddy to me in drop tunings and when playing chords over distortion I feel like the strings all kind of muddle together and there is a lack of clarity in that regard. I don't really have a lot of experience with pickups and have only played humbuckers in stores which doesn't really help me all that much.

I was just reading around and came across them, and this video, and I like the fat glassy tone he's getting out of the pups in the neck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRQxfh3oeTo

I only have one guitar which is my strat, its an 85 jap strat with the system 1 trem. Its SSS and doesn't have routing for a humbucker, but I am leaning now towards keeping passives and getting a pickguard routed for a humbucker. However.. I'm not sure how I feel about routing a guitar older than I am. I love this thing and its taken me from super noob to the not so noob intermediate player I am now.. it just feels so right in my hands. I'm not concerned for resale as I'll never sell this, and I'm not really worried about messing it up, I just don't feel right about cutting her up.

I suppose the better thing to do may just be to buy a lowish end "metal" guitar that feels right in my hands and throw some real pups/electronics in that and keep my strat as is

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
The '85 Strats can be goldmine Strats if you've got a good one, cool guitar!

And yeah, sadly, most that came from the Fujigen era were only routed SSS, so that limits a lot of options for folks. Some of my favorite options for trying to get a humbucker sound out of a single coil space come from Dimarzio. Check out the Air Norton S, the Cruiser, and the Chopper.

I think if you dislike the Super Distortion you have now, you'd really dig the Chopper. It's got a lot more punch and grit to it. It responds wonderfully to a nice fuzz.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yeah, she's definitely a good one. I've played several other strats but none feel the same as this one. She's aged really nicely too. I had to shim the neck a little, I mean heck, after nearly 30 years I suppose its to be expected that the pocket "pinched" a little. I'm thinking about redoing the frets and throwing in medium jumbos. The ones in there now are getting fairly worn and do to that I've got some near dead frets going on unless I raise the action but other than that it plays well.

Thanks for the tips. Its so hard choosing pups because you can't really try before you buy hah. Story of my life.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..