Hi, I'm a bit of a novice with guitars but I've started playing songs with low tunings, such as Drop C#, Drop B and Drop A#. My 16th birthdays coming up and I've been dying to get a Epiphone SG since I started playing, and I thought I might get myself one for my birthday but would it be suitable to play low tunings with a nice sound?
Generally speaking, low tunings are accompanied by longer scales and thicker strings than what you'd ordinarily use with the SG. Tunings down to Bb (but never to A# <G> are possible but the guitar really isn't...er...suitable.

Epiphone doesn't have one that I'm aware of, but there IS a longer scale SG (Gibson, though, I believe) with a larger body out there. It's in a baritone scale (28"?). The body is scaled up about 10% to match the scale and to attempt to balance the normally neck-heavy SG design. I've generally only seen it in white:

(Invalid img)
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 29, 2014,
any guitar can play any tuning as long as its set up correctly. end of story

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann

But some are more suitable than others:

I highly suggest you get a Epi G-400 over the G-310 if possible. Used the G-400 is as cheap or cheaper than the G-310.

Now I have a G-400 and the lowest I have had it set-up for is Drop C and it worked fine. I would be sketchy about tuning it lower because I had the low E saddle all the way back to get it intonated with .52 gauge strings.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It will do those tunings with some work. You’ll need to get the nut slots filed out to fit a set of heavy strings, and possible the saddles as well. You also need to pick a realistic range for the guitar before you have the work done. There’s a big difference between setting up for drop C# and drop A#.
Quote by dspellman
But some are more suitable than others:

I love the Veilette Gryphon 12...one is on my G.A.S. list.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by TheBandMan
Hi, I'm a bit of a novice with guitars but I've started playing songs with low tunings, such as Drop C#, Drop B and Drop A#. My 16th birthdays coming up and I've been dying to get a Epiphone SG since I started playing, and I thought I might get myself one for my birthday but would it be suitable to play low tunings with a nice sound?

First off, as has been implied, that may be too broad a range of tunings for one guitar to handle well. You may need to get more than one, which, given your age, may require a bit of patience on your part.

Second, knowing your budget and location will help us help you find good options in your hunt!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Epiphone G-400 is about as low as you want to go with that. Find them used cheaply and it will handle low tuning just fine as long as you set it up right.
Quote by glenthemann

This. Buy any guitar you can afford and you like and take it your favourite luthier and say to him that you need this guitar for low tunings. Probably he will set up the guitar and put you some heavy gauge strings.