Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying a PRS SE custom 24 for a second guitar, to go alongside a Gibson 2012 les paul standard. I Love the gibson but need another guitar for alternate tunings and also like guitars with dual cutaways. Only thing is, I've read reviews that It's not so great when it comes to anything high gain. For heavier stuff (Alter bridge, Metallica, Tool), do you guys think I'm better getting the SE Tremonti custom, or potentially something different entirely? (I won't go second hand and can spend a maximum of £650 GBP)
Thanks guys
The Custom 24 will be absolutely fine for the music you want to do.
The Tremonti SE is a great guitar and one of the best values of the SE line IMO.

Why not buy used though you can get a way better instrument? it is your money so you can do what you want, just don't discount used gear 100%
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
"Light metal"? You mean hard rock?

That PRS should serve you just fine. But the reason it won't be great for anything heavier (think Death Metal or Grindcore or other forms of extreme metal) is probably the pickup output. So, if you just want to play Metallica ('90s era), Alter Bridge, and Tool...you'll be fine. If you start wanting to play Death Metal, you might get a muddy sound.
Ok thanks guys. just out of interest, which would you say you prefered; the custom 24 or the temonti? I'm not planing on playing death metal anytime soon so one of the two seems like a good option
Well I own a CE22 so I like the classic PRS shape. I have been debating on getting a used SE singlecut ($300 used) or a G&L ASAT.

I deff prefer the PRS tremolo over the wraparound versions, and I don't use a trem hardly ever.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Tremonti is just a regular SE Singlecut with a more expensive price tag. Spec-wise they are absolutely identical. PRS stopped making the Singlecut a little while back, but a few stores still have them in stock and you can find them second hand very easily; just do a bit of a search.

As for the Tremonti (or SInglecut) and the Custom 24, they're effectively identical if you're talking about the fixed bridge versions. The Custom 24 can be had with a 6-screw vibrato, which is the onyl difference in a practical sense. Of course the body shapes are different, as are the types of pickup selector switch they use, but that's just down to personal preference. The woods, pickups and necks are identical.

Just bear in mind that the PRS SEs are standard MIK guitars, cranked out of the same factory as many other (cheaper!) brands. Your money will go further if you look at other MIK brands, like Schecter, Tokai, Cort, Washburn and ESP. The 25" scale length is pretty much the only thing exclusive to the PRS SE models, and even that really is hardly any different from the 24.75" scale commonly offered by many other brands.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Tremonti is just a regular SE Singlecut with a more expensive price tag. Spec-wise they are absolutely identical. PRS stopped making the Singlecut a little while back, but a few stores still have them in stock and you can find them second hand very easily; just do a bit of a search.

As for the Tremonti (or SInglecut) and the Custom 24, they're effectively identical if you're talking about the fixed bridge versions. The Custom 24 can be had with a 6-screw vibrato, which is the onyl difference in a practical sense. Of course the body shapes are different, as are the types of pickup selector switch they use, but that's just down to personal preference. The woods, pickups and necks are identical.

Just bear in mind that the PRS SEs are standard MIK guitars, cranked out of the same factory as many other (cheaper!) brands. Your money will go further if you look at other MIK brands, like Schecter, Tokai, Cort, Washburn and ESP. The 25" scale length is pretty much the only thing exclusive to the PRS SE models, and even that really is hardly any different from the 24.75" scale commonly offered by many other brands.

The Tremonti SE is the cheapest PRS SE that has been in constant production. Well it is here in the states
But yeah pretty much everything else is right, but the Tremonti SE was solid Mahogany and the Single-cut has a maple cap w/ flame veneer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How good is PRS for light metal?

If you are good it will be as good as you are. Same if you are bad.
Quote by MrFlibble

I don't think tokai makes guitars in korea any more, I think they've moved to china.

Other than that, I agree with you. I haven't tried any for a while but I thought the SEs I tried were about on par with other midrange MIKs, yet are a fair bit more money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just swapped the pickups out on my PRS custom 24 SE to some IronGears, Makes such a big improvement on sound. (i use it for Alter Bridge/Funeral for a Friend kinda stuff)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
What bands are light metal? Just out of interest.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

A7x and Trivium.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Trivium don't suck though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
They're pretty weaksauce.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Opinions. I think they do suck. What now?!

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They're pretty weaksauce.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Story of your life?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Not really, I just enjoy listening to Trivium.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I would agree.
Some think that Trivium one of those bands that almost seem like sell outs like some other bands out there....cough...cough... a7x
Only reason I think differently than above is I've seen videos with Matt heafy and he seems like a nice guy, and he is a talented player
On the OP, Definetly go for a Prs anything,just make sure to play before buying.Have you listened to Tremontis solo album? Prs are pretty good for metal I think..
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah, fair enough. But you did kind of set yourself up for that.
Quote by TJWhonley
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying a PRS SE custom 24 for a second guitar, to go alongside a Gibson 2012 les paul standard. I Love the gibson but need another guitar for alternate tunings and also like guitars with dual cutaways. Only thing is, I've read reviews that It's not so great when it comes to anything high gain. For heavier stuff (Alter bridge, Metallica, Tool), do you guys think I'm better getting the SE Tremonti custom, or potentially something different entirely? (I won't go second hand and can spend a maximum of £650 GBP)
Thanks guys

Check out the SE Torero. I've had one for about 4 years and it absolutely kicks ass. Beautiful guitar. Amazing tone, and super easy to play, and I think you will get the sound you want for hard rock, metal, and it sounds very nice clean too. I don't know how much they go for in the UK, but I got mine here (US) for just under $1000, so I think it will probably work for your budget, or at least be close. Good luck with deciding on your new baby!
In the UK the SE Torero costs more than the new Gibson SGs and LPs and is essentially just a Charvel Desolation Soloist model with a higher price tag.

PRS have kinda priced themselves out of the reasonable market, here.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I myself have played 3 Torero's and I thought they were OK. I didn't think they were great though, nothing about them was really anything to be wowed at given the thousands of guitars out there with specs that are almost identical to it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah, fair enough. But you did kind of set yourself up for that.

I didn't set myself up for anything. I just wanted to express my opinion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 30, 2014,
I own a SE Custom 24. It's a good guitar, but stock it does leave a few things wanting. The best thing about it is it's playability and versatility. I frets are nicely finished and the guitar plays really nicely (to me). The coil split is also a great feature when you want some more Fenderish cleans. My model doesn't stay in tune that well. The trem isn't that great, which is disappointing for a $600 guitar. I am more impressed with my Agile AL3100, but when I do some upgrades to my PRS it will be a great guitar.

As far as metal goes, there's no problem there. The pickups aren't low output pickups or anything.