Hey guys.

I will change the original speakers in my Peavey Valveking 112 combo. The two options are: Celestion V30 or Celestion G 12 T 100. Which would be better? The V30 is "only" 60w, and the Valveking is 50w all tube, and i heard that it can blow the speaker. And the G 12 T is not only louder, but is cheaper. I live in Hungary, and a webshop makes a big spring sale, where the V30 is about ~115$ instead of ~137$, but the G12T is only ~88$ (instead of 110$). So, which one would you buy?
The V30 seems to be the choice of most people, but either will be a huge upgrade compared to the stock speaker.
The G12t100 is a higher powered g12t75 which is the bog standard speaker Marshall uses
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The V30 was what I used when I had mine, and I really liked it. Tightened the amp up a lot. Never used a G12T with it though, so no comment there. It should have a little bit looser feel to it, and wouldn't have quite as much focus on the mids.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Danessz
No, it's not the "G12K-100". That's the "Hot" one.
http://celestion.com/product/23/g12t_hot_100/
I guess it's different, than the GT12K, some say it's the cheaper version of it.

Yeah the G12T100 "hot 100" is soposed to be very similar to the G12T75 that Marshall uses in most of its cabs.

The G12k100 is a completely different speasker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah the G12T100 "hot 100" is soposed to be very similar to the G12T75 that Marshall uses in most of its cabs.

The G12k100 is a completely different speasker

Oh, i didn't know it, but that's the selling pont of the G12T Thanks for all the answers.
the g12t 100 isn't louder, it's rated for a higher wattage. the v30 is louder, it's one of the loudest guitar speakers there is. the sensitivity rating (given in dB at 1 watt at 1 metre) is what tells you how loud a speaker is. the v30 is rated at 100dB whereas the hot 100 is rated at 97dB. Not a massive difference, but if you tried them head-to-head with the same amp the v30 would be noticeably louder.

the hot 100 is meant to be pretty good, but i haven't tried it. I've heard some people say it's like a more modern-sounding greenback (sort of).

what do you want to improve about your valveking? is it not tight enough? too dark-sounding? too bright? too middy? too modern-sounding? too vintage-sounding? etc. That's normally the way to think when it comes to a speaker swap. and also pay close attention to specific speakers which are known to work well in the amp (as in a lot of cases you won't know how well it works unless you just try the thing).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If t100 is anything like T75, then the answer is either really. Stock Valveking works with both well. Since the 112 outputs only 50w you have little to fear with V30 which is rated as 60w. How often do you play with volume maxed out anyway hmmm? No, you will run out of guts or destroy your ears before you blow a single v30 speaker.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
also celestions (at least the classic and high-end models) are very conservatively-rated. They're rated for use with guitar amps, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the g12t 100 isn't louder, it's rated for a higher wattage. the v30 is louder, it's one of the loudest guitar speakers there is. the sensitivity rating (given in dB at 1 watt at 1 metre) is what tells you how loud a speaker is. the v30 is rated at 100dB whereas the hot 100 is rated at 97dB. Not a massive difference, but if you tried them head-to-head with the same amp the v30 would be noticeably louder.

the hot 100 is meant to be pretty good, but i haven't tried it. I've heard some people say it's like a more modern-sounding greenback (sort of).

what do you want to improve about your valveking? is it not tight enough? too dark-sounding? too bright? too middy? too modern-sounding? too vintage-sounding? etc. That's normally the way to think when it comes to a speaker swap. and also pay close attention to specific speakers which are known to work well in the amp (as in a lot of cases you won't know how well it works unless you just try the thing).

It's dark, gets muddy sometimes, and i miss the screaming top end. But if the G12T is kind of the Greenback, that's great, because if i could afford, i would buy a '60's cab with 4 Greenbacks in it.
Gear:
Jackson Perfomer MIJ (SD Custom 5/Hot Rails)
Blackstar HT Club 40
Artec Parametic EQ
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Planet Waves PW CT04 Tuner
E flat tuning
Quote by Danessz
It's dark, gets muddy sometimes, and i miss the screaming top end. But if the G12T is kind of the Greenback, that's great, because if i could afford, i would buy a '60's cab with 4 Greenbacks in it.

With what your describing, the V30 sounds like the better choice of speakers for you IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
that's what i'd have thought, too. you don't really get a screaming top end with a v30 (it's more upper mids, though to a lot of people it doesn't really sound all that different unless you have a speaker with more high treble to compare it to head-to-head).

but yeah if it's too dark and muddy v30 would be the thing. the v30 is super tight and pretty bright in the mids.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice, that sounds a lot better (and louder, too). Nice playing too.

I can sorta hear the celestiony/greenbackish thing going on there. Kind of a graininess to the distortion that you tend to hear with the more vintage-style celestions. (Though I think from what i've read the hot 100 sounds a bit more modern than a greenback too.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice, that sounds a lot better (and louder, too). Nice playing too.

I can sorta hear the celestiony/greenbackish thing going on there. Kind of a graininess to the distortion that you tend to hear with the more vintage-style celestions. (Though I think from what i've read the hot 100 sounds a bit more modern than a greenback too.)

Yes, it has that typical tone of Celestion, and kind of greenbackish And that's great, because if i could afford, i would buy a '60s Marshall cab with 4 Greenbacks in it.
The sound is now very biting, the normal drive chanel now sound like the good old Megadeth albums, but with the stock speaker it was 'just' a usually blues/rock kind of sound. And that's great imo.

And thanks for the complement
Gear:
Jackson Perfomer MIJ (SD Custom 5/Hot Rails)
Blackstar HT Club 40
Artec Parametic EQ
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Planet Waves PW CT04 Tuner
E flat tuning
no problem, glad you like it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?