Hello everyone,

I'm composing my first metal song right now, and I wish to include a natural harmonic at the end of the solo, pulled by a whammy bar. Problem is, I don't have the bar on my guitar, but I know that it is possible to modulate the pitch with some VST, or maybe within the DAW itself. I'm a total beginner in the world of computer-aided music, and I don't know how to achieve that.
I use REAPER and I know how to use the included pitch VST to change the pitch of a whole track, but I can not modulate it over time ! I'd like to obtain something like this with my harmonic (you can admire my awesome drawing skills)
http://imgur.com/jx01T2A

Could you help me on this please ? Thank you in advance !
Have a look at the automation section of the reaper instruction manual.

Dunnow where it is in reaper exactly, though in all modern daw you can just draw a curve of how a parameter's value should change over time.
So, you engage the plugin and make it do nothing until the section comes, and then you draw an automation curve representing how the pitch should change and there you have it.

It'll not sound that good though, and it'll add lotsa latency, so you better find some alternative way to do it if you want it to sound good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 29, 2014,
Thanks for the answer !
I think you're talking about "envelopes", I can draw curves but only for the volume high/low and the pan left/right... it looks like this :
http://i.imgur.com/d0yQ9YH.png
But this is not what I am looking for...
About the latency, I don't plan on using the pitch tool while recording, but after having recorded the harmonic. Similarly, I play the bass track in drop D, then pitch it down to drop C (the same tuning as my guitar)
Last edited by Derpyy at Mar 29, 2014,
That IS what you're looking for.
I mean you don't wanna automate the pan nor the volume, but that's the function you're looking for.

Pressing the 'env' button on a track will display all automatable parameters, including the ones of the FX you've inserted on that track, so you should be able to see the pitch shifter parameters if you insert it on the track you want to use it on.

If this doesn't work, just search "reaper plugin automation" and click on whatever explanation videos, there are aplenty.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.