Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well today and hope this is the right forum for this.

I've been experiencing issues on my guitar where it seems like the volume isn't correct when using the bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounds nice and gainy and full of volume, but the bridge pickup seems like its lacking that "oomph" that its supposed to have.

It sounds like there might be a slight issue with volume on the bass strings but it is WAYYY more pronounced on the treble strings. They sound very clean and non-distorted. Its tough to explain, but I know its not putting out the right kind of sound. If I turn on my tube screamer, they sound a little better, but again, with the neck pickup its ROARING.

Information about the guitar:
  • Dean Dave Mustaine Angel of Deth V.
  • Pickups are the Dave Mustaine sigs that come standard in this.
  • There are two volume knobs(one for each pickup) and a tone knob.
  • The pickup selecter switch is a 3-way.
  • The bridge pickup is much closer to the strings than the neck pickup.
  • The bridge pickup is about as close to the strings as it can be on the treble side.
  • Wiring is all stock, I have not made any internal changes to the guitar.

Duration of the problem:
As far as I can tell, it started recently without me making any changes. Originally, I thought the guitar sounded a bit bass-heavy so I adjusted the pickup height a long time ago, but the sound was still satisfactory after that.

Troubleshooting I've done:
  • Replaced the battery for the pickups
  • Tried cleaning the knobs and switches with contact cleaner and compressed air
  • Replaced the strings
  • Examined the cavity and didn't see any glaring issues(my expertise in this area is not that strong, but it looks well wired)

To me, what it almost sounds like is if the volume knob or tone knob was rolled back slightly. I'm fairly sure the problem is either with wiring from the volume knob or possibly something on the switch but I don't think I have the technical skills to figure it out from here.

Do you guys have any ideas for what I could try or experienced any similar issues?

Sound File attached here(May be tough to hear the difference, its way more pronounced in person):
Audio File Sound Issue

Wiring Images attached below:
Whole Cavity

Switch and Tone Knob

Volume Knobs

Bridge Volume

Neck Volume

OH! And also, if I push in that batch of wires towards the wall of the guitar, everything stops making noise and it looks like there is a small spark in there!
sounds like a bad connection or broken wire
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any idea which one it could be since it sounds like its mainly only affecting the treble strings? All of the wires seemed pretty tight and looked like good connections on the pots.
Quote by kroberts61390
Any idea which one it could be since it sounds like its mainly only affecting the treble strings? All of the wires seemed pretty tight and looked like good connections on the pots.

with out having it in my hands it is hard to tell. You can always get another 25k pot and replace the old one, they are really cheap ($4)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
In case anyone is wondering, I actually managed to fix this! I figured I would finish out this thread since I did a TON of searching for this issue on google etc. and wasn't able to find anything similar to what my problem was.

I took it to the best electronics expert I know(my dad, surprise surprise). We took a lot of stuff apart and examined a lot of things before finally trying the thing that fixed it.

If you pop open the control cavity, the 3 way switch has two screws on it which apparently have some bearing on the contacts for the switch. We tightened those screws and shot some contact cleaner into the inside of it. After that, everything sounded great!

Hopefully this can help someone else in the future who has the same issue.