So I have been playing for a few years now, but I actually never learned how to feel the beat. I can count 1,2,3,4 on time, but I can't seem to continue from there. I know a lot of folks have this natrually, but has anybody really learned this? It seems weird and I'm doubtful, but I would love to learn. Speak up if you've learned this.. manually I'm really at my wits end.
5 comes after 4...

Sorry

Seriously, though, when you say "continue from there", do you mean more complex rhythm within that first bar/measure or do you mean you have trouble continuing into the second bar/measure?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Everyone's rhythm starts sucky and improves with practice. Sure, some people have more of a natural feel, but still practice is the overwhelming factor here.

In your case, it sounds like you have a mental block. Have you tried putting the guitar down, turning the metronome on, and tapping your foot, and counting? Sometimes you've got to divide and conquer. Once you've done a bunch of that, pick up the guitar and try again, but with something VERY simple. If you can pull that off, start working on incrementally more complex stuff, if not give it more practice runs w/o the guitar. A couple of other tips. Count out loud, not in your head (you can do it in your head later, but for now out loud is better). Accent the "one"...ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two...etc. Both in saying the word "one" while counting, and playing. It's that accent that gives it that rhythmic feel rather than just being this monotonous thing. Also, get other body parts in on the action. For example, nod your head, move your shoulders a little. It's really like dancing, except you are making smaller movements out of necessity because you have to also play the guitar.
Good luck with this. You'll get there. The only difference between the people that appear to have a natural feel and those that don't is that those that don't have to work a bit harder. But you still get there.
Transcribe drums or come up with riffs / make drum tracks for you riffs/songs (point is, study the rhythm itself rather than "count" it). This helps learn and understand rhythm a ton and get that internal feel for it. You don't need to count when you're aware of what the rhythm is - and the more you do it, the more rhythms you play and work with - the better you get
^ +1

Quote by se012101
Count out loud, not in your head (you can do it in your head later, but for now out loud is better). Accent the "one"...ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two...etc. Both in saying the word "one" while counting, and playing. It's that accent that gives it that rhythmic feel rather than just being this monotonous thing. Also, get other body parts in on the action. For example, nod your head, move your shoulders a little. It's really like dancing, except you are making smaller movements out of necessity because you have to also play the guitar.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as the op said he cant feel it i got up of my practice chair and it started to feel it by moving like the poster said like dancing i did the counting and didnt feel it but the foot tapping and moving seems to me to be working and im a neewbie year and a coulpe months playin mostly sabbath ozzy bls keep it loud mullet
I've known two people who simply we're never able to interiorise basic beat subdivision. It's like their internal clock just didn't work. They could take a four bar riff and turn it into a five bar riff without even noticing. I would encourage you to get some percussion lessons, learn to read music and transcribe rhythms and to focus all of your efforts on your beat issue - because it will cripple your playing if you don't get past it. Beat is everything.
^The five bar four bar riff guy...how comfortable was he playing (in other regards)? When I hear that, the first conclusion I jump to is that he was paying so much attention to where to put his fingers next that he'd lose track. It's like if I said "I went to the store and bought some milk and bought some milk". Being experienced at speaking, I'd know right away that there's something wrong with what I just said. But if I was having to totally focus on how to form each syllable with my lips/tongue (to the point where I was thinking of each word in terms of lip/tongue shapes), I could easily lose track. That's what's happening when you're not yet comfortable with the mechanics of playing guitar. The solution I think is to keep playing, so that it becomes more comfortable and requires less attention just to get the notes out, while spending lots of time working on the timing/counting directly.
Regarding transcribing drums...I couldn't agree more! Before I started playing, I went through a couple of years where I was big into transcribing drum beats, and it helped enormously when I started learning the guitar.
It may not be your thing but i've found that learning basic funk rythyms can be awesome for helping with this
Check this vid out and take it slow,Making sure you get each example down before moving on
http://youtu.be/IEPw06KxdOY