Hello

I just saw this video which is crazy legato skill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmZWN4J_I8

And have recently been doing legato myself but no idea how to get a responsive guitar sound on such a clean channel. I have to crank distortion up to get any reasonable sound out of it. Yes the pick helps at first but i really pull off and hammer hard to get any sound.

Naturally doing it really hard is kind of the opposite of the point of legato (light and fluid)...so how do you get such a responsive sound from a clean guitar like that =/

I must be missing something in my sound right? What can i do to boost the sensitivity of the guitar on a clean channel to get that ?

I tried to ask the guy, didn't get a reply though :P
If you can't get that sound when playing legato it is most likely not a problem with your sound or amp, it's technique related. Tom Quayle (the guitarist in the video) is very known for his great legato.

The thing is that what you are facing is quite common, many of my students and players i have met have problems executing techniques if they are on a clean channel. That's why i always encourage people to start on a clean channel, even if the original composition is played with distortion, and then add distortion later to get the muting right. In the case of legato, you have to practice making all of your lefthand fingers like "picks", if you get what i mean. Whenever you pull off a finger you should do precisely that, pull it of the string, plucking it in the process, not just lift it off the string. It takes lots of practice but you can get control of the volume of your legato sound, and make it sound just as loud as when you are picking stuff.

Hope that helped,
Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
A perfect setup makes all the difference, the right amount of relief especially.
Quote by Tempoe
A perfect setup makes all the difference, the right amount of relief especially.

By relief do you mean guitar action ?
Quote by Sickz
If you can't get that sound when playing legato it is most likely not a problem with your sound or amp, it's technique related. Tom Quayle (the guitarist in the video) is very known for his great legato.

The thing is that what you are facing is quite common, many of my students and players i have met have problems executing techniques if they are on a clean channel. That's why i always encourage people to start on a clean channel, even if the original composition is played with distortion, and then add distortion later to get the muting right. In the case of legato, you have to practice making all of your lefthand fingers like "picks", if you get what i mean. Whenever you pull off a finger you should do precisely that, pull it of the string, plucking it in the process, not just lift it off the string. It takes lots of practice but you can get control of the volume of your legato sound, and make it sound just as loud as when you are picking stuff.

Hope that helped,
Best Regards
Sickz

So at the start of learning it - it will feel like im putting some effort into the pull offs then. =/ It feels like its going to take for ever.
No action is string height, relief is the amount of bow in the neck, Check the setup stickie and learn more. Truss rod adj.
I used to not practise anything special for decades and it sounded good for the time but I got into practise Speed Mechanics book by Troy Stetina with a metronome and stick with the legato ex 1-24 until they became a solid planted habit in my playing skills.

I got most of the ex 1-24 no to speed 160 bpm and what that guy is doing in the video is not to obtain when the legato work is done and neither will the picking fast be which comes after.
Quote by anders.jorgense
I used to not practise anything special for decades and it sounded good for the time but I got into practise Speed Mechanics book by Troy Stetina with a metronome and stick with the legato ex 1-24 until they became a solid planted habit in my playing skills.

I got most of the ex 1-24 no to speed 160 bpm and what that guy is doing in the video is not to obtain when the legato work is done and neither will the picking fast be which comes after.

Its not the speed that I have issues with. It's the effortlessness of the technique whilst keeping a clear sound of each note.
Quote by Sickz

In the case of legato, you have to practice making all of your lefthand fingers like "picks", if you get what i mean. Whenever you pull off a finger you should do precisely that, pull it of the string, plucking it in the process, not just lift it off the string.

Follow this advice. I imagine your problem is your technique, not your setup.
Quote by thefollower
Its not the speed that I have issues with. It's the effortlessness of the technique whilst keeping a clear sound of each note.

Do not let the Speed label fool you. The ex 1-24 covers the technique in legato that you are seeking. You can ad any speed you want.

The effortlessness comes from practise with the metronome. You just need those ex that will teach you the skill and the independence between your left hand fingers. In order to play like in the video you need a strongly developed lefthand. The ex in the book mentioned will do it. He plays fast to and you are in control what speed you want to do play them.
Quote by anders.jorgense
Do not let the Speed label fool you. The ex 1-24 covers the technique in legato that you are seeking. You can ad any speed you want.

The effortlessness comes from practise with the metronome. You just need those ex that will teach you the skill and the independence between your left hand fingers. In order to play like in the video you need a strongly developed lefthand. The ex in the book mentioned will do it. He plays fast to and you are in control what speed you want to do play them.

Okay i will take a look.

Thank you.