Hi all.
Need multi-effects processor in the price range of about $ 300. Who can tell about a new RP360xp? What in this better / worse than in rp355 (about effects mainly)? I play mainly in such styles as grindcore and deathmetal. Which processor would be better fit for this?
They are both crap (I actually don't know anything about them to be honest, but the Digitech MFX units in general don't get spectacular reviews). Get a GT-10 for $300 at Guitar Center or like $250 in local gear exchanges. Once you get a good preamp model dialed in and run a clean boost behind it into your amp it will blow your mind how good it sounds. Plus they are build like tanks with the metal enclosure and take to heavy gigging.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The rp355 seriously blows, my neighbor had one even though I told him explicitly not to buy one because they suck. The detuner, delay and whammy aren't that bad but everything else on there is absolutly terrible and I'm sure it gave me cancer. I'll assume your amp sucks as well because you didn't list it and just say buy a used peavey vyper tube 60.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
The new RP360XP allows to route the order of effects freely & sounds a tad more dynamic than the 355. I'd take the new 360XP over the old.

Aside from that you can look into the new zoom G3x & G5 and Line 6 HD's. Skip the Boss multi's for the music you are into, the gt10 in particular stinks going direct at grindcore/deathmetal no matter what you do(aside for sticking another preamp in it's fx loop for dirt), for anything lower gain it's fine.
About gp-10. Can this give a truly brutal sound? It doesn't have DDM(I think, despite the noise, the sound more powerful than ML-2), right?
About amp. I have bandit 112 (unfortunately, buy vypyr tube wasn't possible). However listened effects on Vypyr 75. Plastic full of shit.
About zoom. I'm afraid to tangle with him. Or did it changed?
Thanks for answers.
(If not the processor, it may tube combination pedals and preamps is more suitable for such a sound?)
I have the GT-6 and I'll be getting a GT-10 soon. The only endorsement as far as brutality I can give is Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses one for all his effects and distortions. With the GT-6 I can get about any tone I want from Metallica to Gov't Mule to Reel Big Fish. The closest I get to death metal and grindcore probably is Strapping Young Lad. For that I run a Rectifier Orange Model with all the knobs at noon, gain at about 1 'o clock. Presence is about 3 o clock. Then a TS 808 model in front of that with distortion at noon and volume cranked all the way. On top of that a shit-ton of reverb and 2 para EQs to shape the sound a bit more and make it crunchier. Sounds just like Devin Townsend's tone coming out of my 212 Spider Valve.

In a round about way I'm saying yes, the GT can give you the really brutal sound you're looking for, you just gotta know how to get it. For the most part, if you watch a rig rundown or know a certain band's amp settings and plug that into the GT as close as you can get, you'll get at least 90% there. I run it straight into the input of my amp, but if you have an effects loop on your amp I'd recommend doing the 4 cable method (just google it) with a GT-10. It will put all your effects in the right place.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Sorry if I was being dickish earlier I spent an hour in the heavy rain trying to fix a car door. The vyper tube 60 is an ok amp that makes most people happy and they are able to get a usable tone out of it. The bandit isn't terrible but its not great. Where do you live maybe we can scour the area for a used amp or processor, 300 bucks more often then not gets much better stuff than just a digitech rp355.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 30, 2014,
I have an RP355 and it isn't as terrible as people say. I use it through my headphones and it gets the job done. You just need to learn to tweak it.

Digital technology gets better all the time and it gets cheaper to do better quality and more accurate modeling stuff so I would say the newer the better (when it comes to digital stuff). So if you are deciding between those two, get the RP360. RP355 is pretty old.

But maybe get neither of them. RP355 isn't anything special. The good thing about it is that it comes with Cubase LE and you can record with it easily. And that's my main use for it. The modeling is passable but finding a good sound requires a lot of tweaking. It's not the easiest pedal to use.

Oh, and RP355 is not good for high gain sounds. It does cleans and hard rock distortion pretty well.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The RP355 does not blow. And yes if you buy used you will get more for your money. At $300 a new Zoom G5 is a good option.
Blimey, loads of people giving the RP355 the thumbs down! I've got the next model down, the RP255, and think it's great. Only cost me £116 and won't hesitate to buy another Digitech product. It's quite sturdy and you can get a ridiculous amount of different sounds out of the thing. There are also a load of user-defined presets to download from the Digitech website, including a Church Organ one.

Your best bet is to go to a shop and try them out imo.
Quote by TheStig1214
I have the GT-6 and I'll be getting a GT-10 soon. The only endorsement as far as brutality I can give is Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses one for all his effects and distortions. With the GT-6 I can get about any tone I want from Metallica to Gov't Mule to Reel Big Fish.

It would be a bad idea to get the 10. Too many issues with that GT to form an entire separate thread about. And no Opeth did not use the 10, it was the GT3(mostly) & 8 or 6. The 8 was actually used by Nuno & Friedman for a long time, but they were all running it through the return of a tube amp & cab or straight in front of one, not direct.

The GS10 on the other hand is great & doesn't have issues like the 10. I think you haven't come across the Cocked Wah Syndrome related to the Gt10,a quick google will reveal it. It's very real & no it's not just one preamp model that suffers from it, whenever you try to get near brutal gain in any way(either by using OD/Dist with clean preamp or high gain preamp(single/dual) the gt10 greets you with a big warm CW hug. It can't be EQ'd out either. I know since I have the unit, it's great for 4CM & fx with an external amp, otherwise not really worth for going direct. The gt8 & gt100 and older GT's don't have the CW problem but they also sound super fizzy(the 100 to a lot lesser extent) with headphones unless run through a guitar speaker.

Quote by Heretik4
About gp-10. Can this give a truly brutal sound? It doesn't have DDM(I think, despite the noise, the sound more powerful than ML-2), right?
About amp. I have bandit 112 (unfortunately, buy vypyr tube wasn't possible). However listened effects on Vypyr 75. Plastic full of shit.
About zoom. I'm afraid to tangle with him. Or did it changed?
Thanks for answers.
(If not the processor, it may tube combination pedals and preamps is more suitable for such a sound?)

Not sure about the GP10, never heard of it. The new zoom units are killer & reliable, look into the G5 in particular. The new digitech units are also great & reliable.
You could look up youtube on the Tech 21 Character series pedals, one of them & few other pedals for effects will get you a quicker & more dynamic sound than these multi's.
About G5. A looked at the distortion effect list. Old Metal Zone & lousy Extreme DS. I've played on G2 and G7.1 ut . The same ****ing 707, but more expensive. In what sphere "new" G5 are killer?
Anyway, my view has now been extended. Thanks for answers.
Last edited by Heretik4 at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by steven_ferns84
It would be a bad idea to get the 10. Too many issues with that GT to form an entire separate thread about. And no Opeth did not use the 10, it was the GT3(mostly) & 8 or 6. The 8 was actually used by Nuno & Friedman for a long time, but they were all running it through the return of a tube amp & cab or straight in front of one, not direct.

The GS10 on the other hand is great & doesn't have issues like the 10. I think you haven't come across the Cocked Wah Syndrome related to the Gt10,a quick google will reveal it. It's very real & no it's not just one preamp model that suffers from it, whenever you try to get near brutal gain in any way(either by using OD/Dist with clean preamp or high gain preamp(single/dual) the gt10 greets you with a big warm CW hug. It can't be EQ'd out either. I know since I have the unit, it's great for 4CM & fx with an external amp, otherwise not really worth for going direct. The gt8 & gt100 and older GT's don't have the CW problem but they also sound super fizzy(the 100 to a lot lesser extent) with headphones unless run through a guitar speaker.

Not sure about the GP10, never heard of it. The new zoom units are killer & reliable, look into the G5 in particular. The new digitech units are also great & reliable.
You could look up youtube on the Tech 21 Character series pedals, one of them & few other pedals for effects will get you a quicker & more dynamic sound than these multi's.

Should I just get an 8 then? I want the extra CTRL switch.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Should I just get an 8 then? I want the extra CTRL switch.

Well depends on your budget really. A used gt100 would be best for two reasons, 1. it's easy to use than the previous gt's & 2. it does have two ctrl pedals. The firmware update allows the use of the looper pedal as a ctrl pedal & the led does light up this time. Then there is the upcoming 2.0 firmware update which adds some new amp models but most importantly the tera echo & MDP distortion stuff to the list. So on a whole thats the best gt to get if your looking for 4CM usage. Other than that the gt10 would be great if you only want to use it for fx & nothing else, although it would be better to check one out in person because those darn lights/led's are blinding laser dots & the screen is freakish bright blue, also a strain on the eyes. Otherwise it's good functionally as an fx processor. The gt8 is actually really good too as an fx processor too but I don't think it's a big upgrade from the gt6. Atleast it doesn't suffer from CW, so you could use the preamp models through the fx return of a tube amp.

Quote by Heretik4
About G5. A looked at the distortion effect list. Old Metal Zone & lousy Extreme DS. I've played on G2 and G7.1 ut . The same ****ing 707, but more expensive. In what sphere "new" G5 are killer?

Looking at the list of what od/dist is included in any particular mfx doesn't tell whether it has been improved over the previous models or not. The G5/G3/G3X are nothing like the older zoom floor units. Those sucked! From crappy build quality to poor sounding modelling & bland fx quality. The new ones are cheaper than most current production multi's out there, easy to use, no fixed routing of the fx chain, newer DSP, newer algorithms, offer better reliability than older units & sound good. Digitech with their new element units has started to offer stuff at the ~$200 price point that's reliable & sounds good, so it's another good option besides the present zoom stuff. If you can find a used L6 HD500 at that price point then that would be excellent, but it's hard to edit on the unit itself, you will need a PC editor to ease things up.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Well depends on your budget really. A used gt100 would be best for two reasons, 1. it's easy to use than the previous gt's & 2. it does have two ctrl pedals. The firmware update allows the use of the looper pedal as a ctrl pedal & the led does light up this time. Then there is the upcoming 2.0 firmware update which adds some new amp models but most importantly the tera echo & MDP distortion stuff to the list. So on a whole thats the best gt to get if your looking for 4CM usage. Other than that the gt10 would be great if you only want to use it for fx & nothing else, although it would be better to check one out in person because those darn lights/led's are blinding laser dots & the screen is freakish bright blue, also a strain on the eyes. Otherwise it's good functionally as an fx processor. The gt8 is actually really good too as an fx processor too but I don't think it's a big upgrade from the gt6. Atleast it doesn't suffer from CW, so you could use the preamp models through the fx return of a tube amp.

I'm a baller on a budget, son! Used the GT-100 is like $450... None of my guitars were that expensive. I'll do some more research but I'm still partial to the GT-10. I'll have the opportunity to try them all out soon.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Heretik4
In the sphere were you actually tried one. I've had a 707 and a G9.2TT and the G5 is not the same.
I've DDM pedal...Will it sound good in send/return of GT-10?
I think boss gt, Line 6, it's more serious devices...And what about digitech gsp1101?
Is there a significant difference in sound (for my needs) G3x from G5?
And if G3x VS RP360xp , G3x - better?
I thought, that I would never look at zoom. Thanks.
Last edited by Heretik4 at Mar 31, 2014,
Quote by TheStig1214
I'm a baller on a budget, son! Used the GT-100 is like $450... None of my guitars were that expensive. I'll do some more research but I'm still partial to the GT-10. I'll have the opportunity to try them all out soon.

Definitely try one out first, initially all the yellow green red & blue lights look awesome, plus the UI is easier than the gt6. But spend more than 10 minutes with it. The gt10 should be found for somewhere ~$300 used, the gt8 will be somewhere in the $250 range.

Quote by Heretik4
I've DDM pedal...Will it sound good in send/return of GT-10?
I think boss gt, Line 6, it's more serious devices...And what about digitech gsp1101?
Is there a significant difference in sound (for my needs) G3x from G5?
And if G3x VS RP360xp , G3x - better?
I thought, that I would never look at zoom. Thanks.

This DDM pedal you speak off, what does it stand for? Digitech Death Metal pedal I assume? That thing sounds awful & artificial. I can't think of anything that will make it sound good straight or in the send/return of anything else. I'd recommend selling it & using the money gained towards something else. The Hardwire TL2 is much better sounding pedal.
Yes the high end boss, L6 & digitech units are feature rich & flexible for live use. The gsp1101 sounds great, the mustbebeta c63 update is needed for it to use external IR's I think. That along with its control2 foot pedal make an awesome combo. Should be around $400 used for the bundle.
The difference isn't significant between the G3X & G5, the 5 allows for total of 9 fx at time or something while the 3/3X allows six at a time. The 360xp does allows free routing of the fx chain but you can't use multiples of the same fx type e.g. two ODs, two Flangers, etc. The G3/3X/5 allows multiples e.g. three ODs, four ODs at a time. But it's upto you to decide if you need that functionality otherwise the 360xp should work too.
Quote by steven_ferns84
Definitely try one out first, initially all the yellow green red & blue lights look awesome, plus the UI is easier than the gt6. But spend more than 10 minutes with it. The gt10 should be found for somewhere ~$300 used, the gt8 will be somewhere in the $250 range.

I'm also investigating a used POD HD500. I like the idea of doing tones on the go with my computer. Plus Twelve Foot Ninja uses them . That's my top pick right now.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The Best way to use the RP 355 is to use it without any guitar amp at all
That's how its designed. Amp/cabinet sim with effects and integrated D.I.

The only strictly effects multi-units that I know of is Line6 stompbox modellers. They don't do amp sims. Just effects.

I have 2 RP355's one in my pedalboard and one for backup.

I haven't used an amp for about 2 years.
Playing Live and getting a good sound is no issues with the unit as I have it set up.
This is a gig from last weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqAdHb__g5A
really, three months and you want to bump this thread.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent