severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
From my understanding, hip hop. But I don't have a formal education on the stylings of Da Revrund \m/
fagelamusgtr
Tab Contributor
192 IQ
Honestly, I've had enough of this debate. Does it really matter? Does it matter if they are rock, or hard rock, or metal, or metal core, or whatever people want to label them as? They play music with loud guitars, in your face vocals, and pounding drums. And no matter what you want to label it, it doesn't change how it sounds. I just wish everyone could just accept it as music and get over the stupid classification of it. rant over.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
1,385 IQ
Quote by fagelamusgtr
Honestly, I've had enough of this debate. Does it really matter? Does it matter if they are rock, or hard rock, or metal, or metal core, or whatever people want to label them as? They play music with loud guitars, in your face vocals, and pounding drums. And no matter what you want to label it, it doesn't change how it sounds. I just wish everyone could just accept it as music and get over the stupid classification of it. rant over.

That's the thing, it doesn't matter. Some of there stuff would clearly fall under the metal category. Then I could see how songs like "Gunslinger" or "Seize The Day" would fall under the rock category.

There is no sense in labeling anything. For example, I used to be one of those kids who thought that Trivium was shitty, or wasn't "trv metal." Simply because of what other people said about them and labeled them. Then I actually gave them a listen and their "Shogun" album turned out to be one of my favorite albums. Now I could care less what people call them, or any band for that matter, I'll listen to them with an open mind and base my opinion like that.
My rant, over
Last edited by Sir Stoney at Mar 30, 2014,
TimTheWizard
they call me Guru
172 IQ
pretty sure it's glam metal, or hair metal, whatever name you fancy
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
harsh noise
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
2,225 IQ
Quote by fagelamusgtr

But thats the thing... its not actually music anyways.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
LGBTcore

Best answer
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,131 IQ
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
LGBTcore

I'll have you know that we LGBT people hate them just as much as straight people do.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
Penisaur
Praise the name of Stan
636 IQ
\m/ rip dime \m/
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Sir Stoney
That's the thing, it doesn't matter. Some of there stuff would clearly fall under the metal category. Then I could see how songs like "Gunslinger" or "Seize The Day" would fall under the rock category.

There is no sense in labeling anything. For example, I used to be one of those kids who thought that Trivium was shitty, or wasn't "trv metal." Simply because of what other people said about them and labeled them. Then I actually gave them a listen and their "Shogun" album turned out to be one of my favorite albums. Now I could care less what people call them, or any band for that matter, I'll listen to them with an open mind and base my opinion like that.
My rant, over

OH, HEY! LET'S FORGET ABOUT NAMING THINGS PROPERLY AND JUST DANCE AROUND WITH FLOWERS IN OUR HAIR AND WEED BONGS IN OUR HANDS! Damn hippy attitudes...

Quote by rg_metal
But thats the thing... its not actually music anyways.

And this attitude is what we call "extreme elitism". It's characterized by referring to atonal music as NOT MUSIC and music that isn't complex enough as NOT MUSIC. Among other things.

OT:
Yes, Avenged Sevenfold is metal. It fits the basic qualifications. It's just not particularly interesting or good metal. In other words, A7X is BORING.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 30, 2014,
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
1,385 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
OH, HEY! LET'S FORGET ABOUT NAMING THINGS PROPERLY AND JUST DANCE AROUND WITH FLOWERS IN OUR HAIR AND WEED BONGS IN OUR HANDS! Damn hippy attitudes...

And this attitude is what we call "extreme elitism". It's characterized by referring to atonal music as NOT MUSIC and music that isn't complex enough as NOT MUSIC. Among other things.

OT:
Yes, Avenged Sevenfold is metal. It fits the basic qualifications. It's just not particularly interesting or good metal. In other words, A7X is BORING.

Did I say anything about not naming things properly? Assumptions don't get you anywhere.

The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music. Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train. I certainly don't care. I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does.

By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you? No it doesn't. Sounds like to me you need to relax a bit, buddy ol' pal.
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by fagelamusgtr

so true
severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
Quote by Sir Stoney
The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music.

You're right. You're completely right and there's no problem with that. Not at all. Not even a little bit. People looking for metal don't want to listen to blues right now, they want metal. We label to divide so we can consume efficiently.

Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

Not a real thing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train.

You are saying that because you've been arguing against labels in your last two posts.

I certainly don't care.

Well your rant and this portion of text dictates otherwise.

I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does.

Everybody who doesn't think Madonna is metal has a problem with that because it's wrong. Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.

By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you?

Yes. Nobody likes you when you do drugs because you post online.
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,983 IQ
I personally thought of them as a rock band. Then I heard a conversation where someone asked "What sort of music do you like?" the guy said "Metal" then got asked "What's your favorite metal band?" and he said "Avenged Sevenfold" - which surprised me!
I thought their melodies sound much"nicer" than typical metal and combined with mostly cleanish vocals I figured rock, kind of like the 90s Green Day of the 2010s with better songwriting. I'll say their drums have the metal thing going on most. But whatever, if you like the music who cares what it is.
The Wildchild
3,282 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

ha ha nice story FAG
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Last edited by The Wildchild at Mar 30, 2014,
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb
1,385 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
You're right. You're completely right and there's no problem with that. Not at all. Not even a little bit. People looking for metal don't want to listen to blues right now, they want metal. We label to divide so we can consume efficiently.

Not a real thing.

You are saying that because you've been arguing against labels in your last two posts.

Well your rant and this portion of text dictates otherwise.

Everybody who doesn't think Madonna is metal has a problem with that because it's wrong. Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.

Yes. Nobody likes you when you do drugs because you post online.

You fail to see my point. Yeah, music needs genres so people will kind of know what to look for. Like "Metal, blues, rock, jazz, etc." It's just when people feel they have go out of their way to be a genre nazi. I'm not saying music should be in one giant group. It's the sub-sub-genres that seem really silly. I'm not saying they shouldn't exist or what not. It's just when people get emotional over if someone says a band is the incorrect sub genre of a sub genre. They seem to think it's the end of the world. I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!" It's Like it's a stab at their personal beliefs or I called their mom a whale.

By the way, did I say anything about "420 smoke em up goon?" Jesus Christ, you'd think I was Hitler just because I smoke a little bit of pot.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
They're pretty much a modern Guns N' Roses.

At least they are now.

Old Stuff = Metalcore, new stuff = Rock/Hard Rock.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The Wildchild
3,282 IQ
Marijuana, along with metalcore, claims millions of lives each year. It's not something to laugh about
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
Stop insulting stereotypes you typical "420 smoke em up" goon.

Oh my god
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride
5,346 IQ
Quote by Sir Stoney
It's just when people get emotional over if someone says a band is the incorrect sub genre of a sub genre. They seem to think it's the end of the world. I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!" It's Like it's a stab at their personal beliefs or I called their mom a whale.

This doesn't happen. Ever. It's a bullshit stereotype created by idiots who are angry because Slipknot and Asking Alexandria and Avenged Sevenfold aren't metal and therefore every metalhead is just a close-minded subsubsubsubgenre-fellating elitist.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,131 IQ
I just find it slightly irritating when I call a band "metal", and they say " NO MAN. That's not METAL! They are 90s progressive technical death metal with a hint of jazz fusion!"

If they are a metal band, why would anybody get mad at you for calling them a metal band? Clearly that doesn't ever happen to you.

Actually, you seem to be making everything in your posts up since none of any of that stuff that you are talking about really happens the way you say it does. You're just basing your arguments on baseless, highly exaggerated stereotypes rather than actual facts.

You can't just go around making things up.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

rg_metal
The Clit Commander
2,225 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah and referring to BTBAM as music is also extreme elitism. Get over yourself.

Quote by The Wildchild
ha ha nice story FAG

Such an extreme elitist story at that.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Last edited by rg_metal at Mar 31, 2014,
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,131 IQ
Quote by progbass
Dat strawman doe

Makes sense that he would use a strawman argument though.

Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Sir Stoney
Did I say anything about not naming things properly? Assumptions don't get you anywhere.

The point of what I said was that, due to these excessive labels, we have divided music. Now people ONLY listen to certain sub genres just because of what some dick head said in a forum about a style of metal.

Except...they don't. People listen to music because they like it. It just so happens that, if I liked a band that is Doom Metal and wanted to hear more of that style, it makes it easier for people to tell me what to try out if either I say, "Suggest more Doom Metal". OR people recognize that when I say, "Give me more like X band" that I'm talking about a Doom Metal band and want more Doom Metal.

Imagine if there were no subgenres. It would be that much harder to suggest things. People classify things into subgenres because there's typically bands that have similar traits. Calling every metal band "metal" is just maddeningly unhelpful. There's so many different styles of Metal that it's very inefficient to call it all JUST "metal". This isn't the '70s, where Metal hasn't diversified and branched out and so on yet!

I'm not saying we shouldn't name things properly, I'm just saying you shouldn't get butthurt about it when someone doesn't dick ride the sub genre train.

Who really does this?

I certainly don't care. I'm not gonna go around calling Madonna metal or anything like that, but Jesus Christ. Even if I did, who the **** cares? Obviously the usual neckbearded guy behind a keyboard does.

All right. Go starting telling your friends that Madonna is metal. They'll either ignore you or laugh at you. Post back with results please.

My point is, people care, because it helps people to classify things into certain genres and styles based on similar sounds/themes/etc. Even non-Metalheads are not going to take you seriously if you decide to start calling Madonna anything besides "Pop".

Also, Metalheads are HARDLY the only ones who do this. Hardcore, as an over-arching genre, is just as bad. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hardcore_genres#Subgenres_of_Hardcore_music .) So is Punk Rock. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock_subgenres#Punk_rock_subgenres.) And EDM is ever worse. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres.)

By the way, what's wrong with me smoking pot? Does it affect you? No it doesn't. Sounds like to me you need to relax a bit, buddy ol' pal.

Nothing. That part was a joke.

Quote by rg_metal
Yeah and referring to BTBAM as music is also extreme elitism. Get over yourself.

That didn't even make logical sense, man.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 31, 2014,
SKAKSD
25 IQ
Meh i'm just gonna say i think A7X is (as of right now) a hard rock/heavy metal band.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
1,401 IQ
this thread is gay7x........see what I did there?!?! DO U SEE?!?!?
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Apr 4, 2014,
jamesiles2004
849 IQ
Why do A7X never play anything from their first album?

Why do bands do that?
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
1,401 IQ
because its really hard to remember 359438 songs of completely tasteless wankery
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by jamesiles2004
Why do A7X never play anything from their first album?

Why do bands do that?

Because the radio-boy fanbase that they have acquired due to their later albums would run screaming and crying at the harsher/more raw sound of their first album. Most of their fans aren't even aware that they had a first album.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
jamesiles2004
849 IQ
Quote by Kytokinesis
Because the radio-boy fanbase that they have acquired due to their later albums would run screaming and crying at the harsher/more raw sound of their first album. Most of their fans aren't even aware that they had a first album.

I thought the first two albums were best.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Quote by The Wildchild
Marijuana, along with metalcore, claims millions of lives each year. It's not something to laugh about

If we are on the topic of dick riding trains, I'm hopping on this one
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.