Hi,

So, for the first time I changed the strings on my guitar which has a Floyd Rose. It is a Jackson JS35. Everything seems to be okay but there is one thing I don't understand. The bridge was in a perfect position before my string broke. However, after putting on the new ones and getting the guitar in tune, it wasn't parallel with the body at all, so I had to tighten the screws on the back (where the springs are) by a pretty big amount.

As I said, everything works fine, but I believe that the Floyd behaves a bit different while diving. My question would be, how can this possibly happen? I'm new to Floyd.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

Tami
Quote by tami626
Hi,

So, for the first time I changed the strings on my guitar which has a Floyd Rose. It is a Jackson JS35. Everything seems to be okay but there is one thing I don't understand. The bridge was in a perfect position before my string broke. However, after putting on the new ones and getting the guitar in tune, it wasn't parallel with the body at all, so I had to tighten the screws on the back (where the springs are) by a pretty big amount.

As I said, everything works fine, but I believe that the Floyd behaves a bit different while diving. My question would be, how can this possibly happen? I'm new to Floyd.

Tami

You need to add or remove springs in the back, then fine tune with the screws after. If your guitar didn't come with extra springs you will have to buy them.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Why do I have to add springs? What changes after replacing strings? They are similar to the ones I had before.
If you had to adjust the spring tension then you changed something from the original setup. Did you cHange string gauge? If the guitar originally had 9's installed and you went with 10s or 11s then the thicker string requires more tension to bring the string into tune. Hence throwing your bridges level way off.
Quote by tami626
Hi,

Tami

I think you changed to 10 strings instead, you should have change to 9s...
every super strat comes with 9 strings today... so be careful
Sometimes changing the brand of strings makes a difference even if you use the same gauge.
Well, it seems you are right. At least, there is nothing else I can think of. But still, it's surprising how big the difference is.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers
did you block the trem before you removed the original strings?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They are pretty finicky things and don't like changes much. I remember on my old guitar I had to add an extra spring just going from 9s to 10s even after trying to adjust it with the screws in the back.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Well, I hope I'll be able to get an extra spring if I decide to go with thicker strings. They seem to be pretty rare here.
Quote by tami626
No. Should I had blocked it? Does it affect the result?

yeah probably.

if it's sitting fine as it is there's no problem. or if you changed it string by string it's probably all right. but if you take off all the strings at once and don't block it the trem will sink into the body cavity.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?