Yo

I am playing through a peavy Vypr VIP1 and thought about getting the sanpera 1 pedal (£80, uk)

Looper pedals seem expensive (£85+), and i thought the sanpera would be a better deal seeing as you can use it as a stompbox and use the pedal for volume, wah, pitch shifting etc...however, the sanpera has a measly 30s looping time !!!

does anyone have any suggestions for a decent looper, just for practicing play over chord progressions ? ( yes i can use youtube backing tracks but would be nice to play my own)

any thoughts on this one ?
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/tc-electronic-ditto-looper-pedal.html

thanks
Damn brother you have a massive signature...

The JamMan express XT is better.
It's the same thing with two channels and status leds.
And you can sync more than one if you decide to get more.
And it's cheaper!

If you jast want to play over chords and stuff, are you sure 30 secs aren't enough though?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you get any FX from your amp then putting a looper in front will not work well. Therefore you should use the Sampera and deal with the 30sec. If you are willing to set your amp clean then you will need FX pedals in front of the looper. So you have some questions that you need to answer if you aren't satisfied with the Sampera. Like am I willing to buy FX and a looper. How much time do I need for a looper. And perhaps storage for loops, which the Ditto does not have.

A Zoom G5 will give you 60 sec, drums, and FX for $300. For more time than that you need a dedicated looper and separate FX.
^ that's what he suggested at the beginning.
And as I have written already, the XT looper does more for less money.
Plus it's bigger, so the quality of the DA and DC conversion is likely to be the same or better.

Damn the vypyr vip doesn't have an fx loop!
Well up for what fly135 said then.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by fly135
If you get any FX from your amp then putting a looper in front will not work well. Therefore you should use the Sampera and deal with the 30sec. If you are willing to set your amp clean then you will need FX pedals in front of the looper. So you have some questions that you need to answer if you aren't satisfied with the Sampera. Like am I willing to buy FX and a looper. How much time do I need for a looper. And perhaps storage for loops, which the Ditto does not have.

A Zoom G5 will give you 60 sec, drums, and FX for $300. For more time than that you need a dedicated looper and separate FX.

So if i have say, the univibe on the amp, and it goes through a looper pedal, it wont play the effect or it will just sound crap ?
None of that.
But that way everything will have the same sound.
If you had an fx loop or some pedals you could put the looper in the fx loop or at least after the pedals so you could, say engage the distortion, record something, then disengage the distortion and play something clean over the distorted part.

With that setup you can't do this - everything you play, be it live or looped, will pass through the same chain and it will therefore sound the same.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
30 seconds is plenty for a looper. Think about some of your favorite riffs and how long a single play through is (ex: smells like teen spirit- maybe 8-10 seconds). Hell, 20 seconds would probably be fine for 99% of the looping I do.

Looping through a modeling amp does kinda suck. Maybe since the sanpera is specifically made for the vyper it'll bypass the problem of fx and overdubs mooshing together? I dont know.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The looper is a recorder and has to be last in the chain of FX. Since the looper on the Sampera is designed in the amp, I'm sure it will work properly.
20s doesnt sound like a lot though. i was hoping with 5mins of looping i could play a nice long backing track and play over the top of it

i will consider the sanpera tho, if i can get a good deal on it. there is a music shop that owes me some favours lets say.....
Quote by *Juno*
20s doesnt sound like a lot though. i was hoping with 5mins of looping i could play a nice long backing track and play over the top of it

i will consider the sanpera tho, if i can get a good deal on it. there is a music shop that owes me some favours lets say.....

Then what your looking for is a recorder.
When a looper has 30 seconds it doesnt mean it only plays for 30 seconds. It means you can record up to a 30 second loop. You can then loop that 30 seconds for hours if you wanted to.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you want long backing tracks on your looper then you need to get a looper with storage. Anything over about a minute is probably not needed by most people if there is no storage.
okay, maybe i should look into recording backing tracks ontop my laptop and playing them back through the amp first. the sanpera pedal hasnt got great reviews after digging some more.

im still a bit confused as to why i cant play one thing on my looper then play a different effect over the top ? so if i played a rhythmn section for 1 min, then left it looping and changed my amp effects to something to play the lead, it would screw up the whole thing ???
Think about it... If you record something and then want to play something different with distortion or fx, then the original loop is going to have that distortion and FX put on it. You can't play two distinct lines and have the same distortion applied to both tracks. It will turn into mud. Looper = recorder and goes after all fx/distortion. Reverb is about the only exception because it's an environment effect. But if you use reverb for other than to simulate a room, then it should go in front as well.
right i get you. the signal from the guitar goes through the looper first. so the looper signal, plus the new guitar signal, both get the effect applied to them because they are coming as one signal before the effect is applied
Quote by lucky1978
30 seconds is plenty for a looper. Think about some of your favorite riffs and how long a single play through is (ex: smells like teen spirit- maybe 8-10 seconds). Hell, 20 seconds would probably be fine for 99% of the looping I do.

Looping through a modeling amp does kinda suck. Maybe since the sanpera is specifically made for the vyper it'll bypass the problem of fx and overdubs mooshing together? I dont know.

I often enjoy playing the entire rhythm section of a song then looping it so I can play lead over it. Outside of that though, 30 seconds is plenty.

Though I don't understand why someone would pay 100 pounds for the above pedal. Isn't that like $160? I got the RC-3 used for half that.
Quote by *Juno*
right i get you. the signal from the guitar goes through the looper first. so the looper signal, plus the new guitar signal, both get the effect applied to them because they are coming as one signal before the effect is applied

I have found the most success with loopers by having a setup like this:

Guitar
|
|
|
A/B Switcher
|.................|
|.................|
|.................|
Effects..........Looper
|.................|
|.................|
|.................|
Amp 1..........Amp 2
Last edited by shredderrrrrr at Mar 31, 2014,
^ what if you want an effect on the loop? The problem only happens when you cant put the looper after the fx, such as a modeling amp.
Quote by lucky1978
^ what if you want an effect on the loop? The problem only happens when you cant put the looper after the fx, such as a modeling amp.

That was just a simplified version--I have a couple effects pedals going into each amp. It's obviously not the best solution but for someone without an amp with an effects loop, it isn't the worst. I just put most of the pedals going into the "playing" amp and then a few extra ones into the "looper" amp. Considering I am only using the looper for rhythm guitar, a few simple pedals and the amp controls are more than enough.