Just sold a Tubemeister 18 it was ok but not that impressive.
Ive owned a ht-5, a bit averagey sounding. I've also had a hayden mini mofo, not enough gain.

I need it to be small enough to fit on my 1x12 cab as I have nowhere else to put it.
I live in central uk, budget around £600 used or new not bothered and I play thrash mostly, at home for fun but can play loud at times.

A mini rec would be ideal but just too pricey. I'd look at a combo too if necessary.

Suggestions please?

Thanks.
Quote by Lozhaze
I play thrash mostly.
Aww ****...

Wait there's the ENGL ironball!
It's small and it has lotsa gain.
Also I don't think a mini rec would be ideal.
I mean it would do good for lotsa stuff but thrash?
I don't think so.

Two questions though:
1. why do you necessarily need to put the amp over the cab?
2. why don't you get a bigger cab?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Aww ****...

Wait there's the ENGL ironball!
It's small and it has lotsa gain.
Also I don't think a mini rec would be ideal.
I mean it would do good for lotsa stuff but thrash?
I don't think so.

Two questions though:
1. why do you necessarily need to put the amp over the cab?
2. why don't you get a bigger cab?

I just dont have much space for a bigger rig at the minute.
I'll have a look at the Engl, thanks.
EVH 5150 iii 50w if they're about on the used market yet. I have one from new at £750 that I bought last year but they weren't on the used market yet, as they weren't out long enough.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I wouldn't say a Rectifier is the best amp for thrash. Some of the orange lunchbox amps might be a bit more suitable, and so much cheaper. The Dark Terror or the Dual Dark Terror?
Why not a Rec? I'm looking for a Testament type sound mainly but with a bit of flexibility.

The Ironball sounds great as well and has a lot of very cool features, power soak and heaphone/direct out.
The rec isn't great for that type of sound, and the mini rec isn't that great among the recs.
I'd still take the engl, though the oranges are really good ideas too if you like that tone.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Haven't Testament recorded a lot of their stuff with Recs?

I've heard people say the mini isn't all that compared to the full size head, but thats out of the question for the time being. The Orange amps aren't what I'm looking for really.
i thought 80s thrash was mainly marshall/hot rod marshall. though metallica did change to mesas towards the end of the 80s (?) and i dunno about testament.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
[quote="Dave_Mc]i thought 80s thrash was mainly marshall/hot rod marshall. though metallica did change to mesas towards the end of the 80s (?) and i dunno about testament.

pretty much marshall. and IIRC the first mesa used by metallica was on mkIII 3 (don't remember stripe) for ...and justice for all.

(i am not a metallica buff, but i have been wanting a mkIII for a while)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Lozhaze
Haven't Testament recorded a lot of their stuff with Recs?

I've heard people say the mini isn't all that compared to the full size head, but thats out of the question for the time being. The Orange amps aren't what I'm looking for really.
I've fund lotsa stuff.
ADA pres into JCM900, JCM900 boosted with a keely modded DS-1, JCM2000 DSL100 boosted with a keely modded DS-1, triple rectifier for rhythm and recently triple rectifier and 5150 III for touring.

Plus the rec he's been using is the two channel one which kills the three channels one in both the clean and distorted channels, and the mini rec is a stripped down version of the three channels ones.

So, among all of the small high gain amps, if you don't like orange I can only think of the Ironball and the 50w 5150 III.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pretty much marshall. and IIRC the first mesa used by metallica was on mkIII 3 (don't remember stripe) for ...and justice for all.

(i am not a metallica buff, but i have been wanting a mkIII for a while)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think that Metallica was actually using a IIC+ on Puppets, not a III, I could be pulling that out of nowhere though.

TS, you could look at one of the new DSL amps, they come in a variety of sizes. You could also look at the anniversary 1 watters, though I can't say I was super impressed with the ones I tried. Look at Egnater, the Rebel would probably be hairy enough for thrash. The Baron Snot Watt (if they are still around) was super mean, but I'm not sure if they would be in your price range. If you wanted to go for a classic, try looking for an old DSL401 or 201, they were pretty good sounding amps.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks for all the suggestions people, i'll dig around.
I saw a used DSL yesterday so I'll go take a look at it.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think that Metallica was actually using a IIC+ on Puppets, not a III, I could be pulling that out of nowhere though.

That sounds right.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Cant believe no ones suggested the laney ironheart studio yet. 15 watts of utter brutality
Last edited by mugzy384 at Mar 31, 2014,
Jet City, with a Bad Monkey as a boost?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by dementiacaptain
I think that Metallica was actually using a IIC+ on Puppets, not a III, I could be pulling that out of nowhere though..

+1 you are right. I can't even remember the last time i heard Metallica.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 you are right. I can't even remember the last time i heard Metallica.

Right there with you. I heard a bit of Death Magnetic when it came out, that's probably the last time I made a conscious effort to listen to them. There are some bands I have heard enough of for one lifetime.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Right there with you. I heard a bit of Death Magnetic when it came out, that's probably the last time I made a conscious effort to listen to them. There are some bands I have heard enough of for one lifetime.

I never liked anything black album and newer. I hated the Black album. But i used to like it when i was younger.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Master was a Mark IIc slaved to a JCM 800. Before that was boosted 800, AJFA was all Mark IIc. Black Album and later was whatever James felt like using for that song. DM was mostly VH4.

I know Krank is pretty dear over there, but a Rev Jr or even 1980 would suit your needs I think
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan